Page 8 of 28 [ 448 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 28  Next

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 12:41 pm

Tequila wrote:
How can you have "white privilege" if you never accepted it in the first place? That sounds like a BS theory designed to incite self-hatred.

I will start with the disclaimer that I dislike white privilege as a descriptor. It arises from critical race theory, but its title serves to distance it from broader diversity. Women, LGBT and the poor are all deprived of similar privilege--but we don't call it "White, middle class, hetero male privilege."

That being said, you don't accept white privilege, white privilege is conferred by the society in which you live.

If your community is not described as being a bunch of freeloaders--that is white privilege.
If you are not subject to ostracism by your neighbors--that is white privilege.
If you are not mistrusted when you walk into a store--that is white privilege.
If you are not worried about physical violence when you walk alone at night--that is white privilege.
If the term, "one of them," doesn't refer to you--that is white privilege.

White privilege is the freedom from discrimination, harassment and violence that is enjoyed by the majority population. It is not asserted or accepted, it is the absence of mistreatment. It also bears noting that white privilege is not an absolute. In most respects, I am brimming over with white privilege. I am white and male. I am well educated, with a career and the material privileges and economic freedom that accompanies it. Only in my sexual orientation am I unprivileged. So my privilege (or my lack of it) is context specific.

One of the reasons that communities band together is that only when population reaches a critical mass can white privilege be overturned. The development of cities in North America particularly demonstrated this. As each new urban underclass emerged, it coalesced in its neighborhoods where people could feel safe and comfortable. That's white privilege in action--and it is no less visible today than it was in New York in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 12:45 pm

visagrunt wrote:
If your community is not described as being a bunch of freeloaders--that is white privilege.

If I'm white and I am described this way, do I still have white privilege?

It's a load of rubbish. Some people are seen as better in certain circumstances than others.

Try being a male teacher or a male caregiver to children, for instance.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 1:45 pm

Tequila wrote:
visagrunt wrote:

It's a load of rubbish. Some people are seen as better in certain circumstances than others.

It depends why you are described that way. Are you lumped together with "lazy young layabouts," or, "fat wh***y living on the dole?" Then no--you no longer have white privilege in that context. And you demonstrate why I don't like the label. White privilege is not restricted to white people.

If you'll note, I said very clearly that white privilege is not absolute, and went on to point out that my privilege is context specific. So a male caregiver has put himself in a context in which the white privilege that he enjoys in daily life is eroded because he works in a female dominated environment in which he is subject to mistrust. Another classic example of how privilege is not absolute.

But if that man leaves his job for another, his privilege is restored.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 2:58 pm

Tequila wrote:
visagrunt wrote:

No, it's not rubbish. James got it quite right. There is an ease with which one moves through the world - rather, an ease with which the world lets one move through it. The ease, by and large, is privilige.

That I'm male means I'm judged very differently than if I were female - life is a whole lot easier, and there are concerns that don't even cross my mind. This is both amusing and illustrative:

https://twitter.com/MalePrivilege

And the everyday sexism project is a great and sadly necessary idea:

http://www.everydaysexism.com/

What's more, I'm white, and straight. However, I am working class. I have had the experience of walking into distinctly non-working class environments, and it's never fun. I don't get on with people in general, but that's me - maybe my asperger's, maybe not. But I am very much a lot more ill at ease where some well-to-do sort tries to talk to me.

I grew up on a council estate, but knew some of the kids from the ajoining private estate. An early politically illuminative experience came when I was 11, and one such kid called me a prole. Until that point I had been blessedly unaware of how I might be seen - had assumed equality, as kids do. I found no disagreement with the idea that calling someone 'n****r' or 'paki' was no worse than 'cracker' or 'wh***y'. In a very basic way, that 'prole' remark made it as clear as anything how it's not just words. Him calling me a 'prole' had a bite to it that me calling him, say, 'a rich bastard' just didn't. And that bite came from history, and from the system we lived under.

The world is essenitally designed by and for the white, straight male, preferrably with money. The few concessions or accomodations to people who are not white, straight or male are met with cries of 'pandering!' or 'political correctness gone mad!'. This is because straightness, whiteness and maleness are a given. They are the 'norm'. We don't notice it, as we don't notice the air we breathe until it's polluted. I don't believe such accomodations are a pollution, but those who don't see what they're trying to make room for do.

There are certain areas the non-S/W/M have tried to eke out as their own, and the S/W/M sort may find it unnerving entering these areas. Often, the S/W/M has created these areas in the first place, and the non-S/W/M make the best of it. A ghetto forms as non-S/W/M people give up on getting into S/W/M areas (be they geographical or social or economic etc) and group together instead.

So prejudice does everyone a diservice.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 3:59 pm

Back when I was in grade school, a kid whose mother allegedly had inherited a million dollars from her father (I say allegedly, because this little prick was a notorious liar) used to tease me for being "poor." As I remember, I just thought the guy was an as*hole, and thankfully didn't let him get to me.
In truth, my family wasn't any poorer than most of the other kids - who knows, maybe he thought my eccentric Aspie-ish behavior was a sign of poverty. His making fun of me for that was actually more biting.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 6:38 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Giftorcurse wrote:
Racist. Not racist. It's the flag of the South.

Send "I'm a Good Old Rebel" ringtone to your cell
Oh, I'm a good old rebel
Now thats just what I am
And for this yankee nation
I do no give a damn.

I'm glad I fit (fought) against 'er (her)
I only wish we'd won
I ain't asked any pardon
For anything I've done.

I hates the Yankee nation
And eveything they do
I hates the declaration
Of independence too.

I hates the glorious union
'Tis dripping with our blood
I hates the striped banner
And fit (fought) it all I could.

I rode with Robert E. Lee
For three years there about
Got wounded in four places
And I starved at Pint (Point) Lookout.

I coutch (caught) the roomatism (rheumatism)
Campin' in the snow
But I killed a chance of Yankees
And I'd like to kill some mo'. (more.)

Three hundred thousand Yankees
Is stiff in southern dust
We got three hundred thousand
Before they conquered us.

They died of southern fever
And southern steel and shot
I wish they was three million
Instead of what we got.

I can't take up my musket
And fight 'em down no mo' (more)
But I ain't a-goin' to love 'em (them)
Now that is serten sho. (certain sure.)

And I don't want no pardon
For what I was and am
I won't be reconstructed
And I do not give a damn.

Oh, I'm a good old rebel
Now that's just what I am
And for this Yankee nation
I do no give a damn.

I'm glad I fought against 'er (her)
I only wish we'd won
I ain't asked any pardon
For anything I've done.

I ain't asked any pardon
For anything I've done...

ruveyn

Interesting dialect. It reminds me of Ulster Scots or traditional Scots which are both regional variations of English that we have here.

O stay, sweet warbling woodlark, stay,
Nor quit for me the trembling spray,
A hapless lover courts thy lay,
Thy soothing, fond complaining.
Again, again that tender part,
That I may catch thy melting art;
For surely that wad touch her heart
Wha kills me wi' disdaining.
Say, was thy little mate unkind,
And heard thee as the careless wind?
Oh, nocht but love and sorrow join'd,
Sic notes o' woe could wauken!
Thou tells o' never-ending care;
O'speechless grief, and dark despair:
For pity's sake, sweet bird, nae mair!
Or my poor heart is broken.

Robert Burns

Coastt
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Sep 2012, 12:55 am

The civil war was about state's rights. The right to own slaves and they wanted that right, extended to all new states.

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 1:01 am

Flags are just flags, they can't be racist. Only the observer is for thinking in a racist way.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 1:57 am

Misslizard wrote:
I don't think of it as racist but I'm not African American so I can't speak from that perspective.I'm a southerner ,but the area I live in was mountainous so it wasn't a big agriculture area so not many slaves.It was more a state's rights issue here.My great-great grandpa fought Union Calvary in Missouri and his brother for the Confederacy,neither owned slaves.

The mountainous areas of Appalachia were largely pro-unionist. So were the German regions of Texas and AFAIK the Ozark regions. Where were your family exactly from?

OliveOilMom wrote:
The rich planters that owned slaves were the minority in the South. Most white people were either middle class or poor. People tend to think that all white people who were descended from generations of Southerners come from families that owned slaves if you go back far enough. That's simply not so.

No....but a significant portion of the southern population (as high as one in six in some cases if my numbers are remembered right) guarantees a sort of collective response.

AspieRogue wrote:
Tequila wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
I don't know if that's my white privilege talking.

How can you have "white privilege" if you never accepted it in the first place? That sounds like a BS theory designed to incite self-hatred.

Exactly.

The same way Russians were priviledged in the former Soviet Union to the point that everyone else could see it but them, yet they tended to be unaware of their priviledge :lol:

Tequila wrote:

And that sort of thought is why people assume every single young male working with children is probably a pedophile.......

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 11:16 am

Lord_Gareth wrote:
spongy wrote:
This thread brings up a decent question.

Can any of you tell me the meaning of a swastika?
It started being the sacred symbol of auspiciousness and it still represents that in several Indian religions.

However someone hijacked it and gave it a meaning most people despise.

If I remember correctly, the swastika was also supposed to repel demons (or perhaps just the Rakshasa?) and bring blessings upon a home and family.

Could be, I didnt do much research on the subject, but I didnt think that was needed to make my point.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 9:37 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
Whats your opinion on the rebel flag? Do you think it's racist or not, and if so why or why not?

I do not think it is, because it's simply the flag of the Confederacy and a symbol of the South, not of racism.

The Confederacy and the South were, and remain, profoundly racist. Otherwise, why would they vote Republican?

OliveOilMom wrote:
Although slavery was a major part of the Civil War, that's not the main thing it was about.

:roll: Yes it was. Read your various states states' declarations for secession. For example, Mississippi

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_missec.asp

A Declaration of the Immediate Causes which Induce and Justify the Secession of the State of Mississippi from the Federal Union wrote:
Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.

That we do not overstate the dangers to our institution, a reference to a few facts will sufficiently prove.

The hostility to this institution commenced before the adoption of the Constitution, and was manifested in the well-known Ordinance of 1787, in regard to the Northwestern Territory.....

It has grown until it denies the right of property in slaves, and refuses protection to that right on the high seas, in the Territories, and wherever the government of the United States had jurisdiction.

It refuses the admission of new slave States into the Union, and seeks to extinguish it by confining it within its present limits, denying the power of expansion.

It tramples the original equality of the South under foot.

It has nullified the Fugitive Slave Law in almost every free State in the Union, and has utterly broken the compact which our fathers pledged their faith to maintain.

It advocates negro equality, socially and politically, and promotes insurrection and incendiarism in our midst.

It has enlisted its press, its pulpit and its schools against us, until the whole popular mind of the North is excited and inflamed with prejudice.

It has made combinations and formed associations to carry out its schemes of emancipation in the States and wherever else slavery exists.

It seeks not to elevate or to support the slave, but to destroy his present condition without providing a better....

OliveOilMom wrote:
Yes, many white supremacist groups love to fly the rebel flag and lots of racists like it, but that doesn't make it a racist symbol. More people who aren't racist fly it and like it than racists. Those of us who aren't racist now seem to outnumber racists down here, and that's a good thing. To most people I know down here, black or white, it's simply a symbol of the South. I've seen just as many black people as white people wearing Dixie Outfitters tshirts and they all have the rebel flag on them.

They're a bunch of uneducated nuts. Why not just fly Al Qaeda flags? Al Qaeda also wanted to destroy our government.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 10:59 am

Dear Warsie,sorry it's taken awhile but the computer screen hurts my eyes so I'll stay off for a day or two,my ancestors were from the Ozark region in Mo and Ark.Lots of families had relatives that fought for opposing sides,it really was brother against brother here.The violence intensified after the war because people started bushwhacking each other .It was a really bad time since families held grudges.And it it mostly Scotch- Irish and German here.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 11:30 am

Excuse me AuntPariah,You do know Lincoln was Republican right?And my state sent a Democrat to the White House,President Bill Clinton.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 12:08 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Excuse me AuntPariah,You do know Lincoln was Republican right?And my state sent a Democrat to the White House,President Bill Clinton.

While true, it's also true that the Republicans during Lincoln's time represented the left of American politics, while the southern Democrats were the right. Things got switched around during the 20th century, particularly since the Democrats became associated with the New Deal and civil rights, while southern Democrats from the 60's on jumped ship to the Republican party, which came to oppose everything the left represented.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 2:46 pm

I forgot about another great Southern Democrat, the humble and honest peanut farmer from Plains,Ga. President Jimmy Carter.
From an interesting Civil War tidbit,one of the last Confederate generals to surrender was General Stand Waite,a Native American who surrendered three months after Lee.And I don't get the Al Qaeda flag bit,we had no intention of destroying America, we just wanted the right to govern ourselves.Isn't that what the American Revolution was about?I really doubt that Judah Phillip Benjamin,Democrat,Secretary of War for the CSA would agree with the Al Qaeda remark,you see he was Jewish.And the Al Qaeda remark is very disrespectful to all those Vets who are from the South and now serving their country.We've lost several young men to the war and maybe they did fly the Rebel flag but they went over seas and died under the Stars and Stripes.Don't sully their contribution.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 8:28 pm

They sullied their own damned reputations.