Page 11 of 28 [ 448 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 28  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 6:30 pm

My last post had nothing to do with the flag,just for fun and laughs,For the record I don't have one.I do have prayer flags,that's all I fly.l

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 6:42 pm

Found the catalog with the T-shirt,I did misquote it,it's "do you keep hearing crazy voices?Turn off Fox news".The company is Northern Sun,their e-mail is www.northernsun.com,phone 1 -800-258-8579 they have a great selection,the BEST!! Plus tons of bumper-stickers.They try to offer all American made stuff and will specify if it's not U.S. made.They have a definite liberal slant so the more conservative may be offended.You will love them.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 10:38 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Found the catalog with the T-shirt,I did misquote it,it's "do you keep hearing crazy voices?Turn off Fox news".The company is Northern Sun,their e-mail is www.northernsun.com,phone 1 -800-258-8579 they have a great selection,the BEST!! Plus tons of bumper-stickers.They try to offer all American made stuff and will specify if it's not U.S. made.They have a definite liberal slant so the more conservative may be offended.You will love them.

Thank you. 8)

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 10:54 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Whats your opinion on the rebel flag? Do you think it's racist or not, and if so why or why not?

I do not think it is, because it's simply the flag of the Confederacy and a symbol of the South, not of racism. Although slavery was a major part of the Civil War, that's not the main thing it was about. Yes, many white supremacist groups love to fly the rebel flag and lots of racists like it, but that doesn't make it a racist symbol. More people who aren't racist fly it and like it than racists. Those of us who aren't racist now seem to outnumber racists down here, and that's a good thing. To most people I know down here, black or white, it's simply a symbol of the South. I've seen just as many black people as white people wearing Dixie Outfitters tshirts and they all have the rebel flag on them.

No, it's not a racist symbol, but when I see people wearing it, I usually get the feeling they're some mindless racist redneck because that type of person seems to be the most likely to wear it or have the flag on their vehicle or whatever. I know that's not really fair, because I'm sure not everyone who likes the rebel flag is a redneck, a racist, or mindless. But unfortunately, that's what's represented the most.

While we're on the subject of controversial symbols, what do you think of the swastika? Did you know that it was a symbol used by many ancient cultures to be signs of good luck and/or peace? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

I'm no nazi, but I've always thought the swastika was an interesting symbol.

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 11:28 pm

I'm actually from Tennessee and used to own rebel flag socks that were some of my most prized possessions. I'm proud of being from the South because despite the slavery controversy, there were other more noble reasons for fighting that war... and the South fought well against hard odds.. And towards the end without many necessary supplies. They fought hard and honorably unlike the Northern soldiers under Sherman, right?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 11:47 pm

LeeAnderson wrote:
I'm actually from Tennessee and used to own rebel flag socks that were some of my most prized possessions. I'm proud of being from the South because despite the slavery controversy, there were other more noble reasons for fighting that war... and the South fought well against hard odds.. And towards the end without many necessary supplies. They fought hard and honorably unlike the Northern soldiers under Sherman, right?

Who says Sherman's troops didn't fight honorably? For the most part, Sherman conducted a war against property, rather than killing people, so the South couldn't wage war anymore.
Incidentally, my favorite Civil War historical character is a southerner - Newt Knight. Knight, a native of Mississippi, was a self proclaimed "Southern Yankee" and Confederate army deserter who had formed a ragtag fighting force of other deserters and escaped slaves (calling themselves Newts Knights) to carry on non-stop guerrilla war against the Confederacy. Sherman had even made mention how Johnson County Mississippi was no longer in the hands of the Confederate government because of the Anti-Confederate insurgents led by Knight. While his father had owned slaves, Knight found the institution inhuman, and saw secession as benefiting only the rich plantation owners. After the war, Knight had worked with the federal government with Reconstruction, and fought the early KKK. To show that he actually walked the walk when it came to race relations, he married a black lady when interracial marriage in his state was illegal. After his death, the state of Mississippi had declared Knight was a traitor to his country (the Confederacy), and a traitor to his race. His mixed race descendents still live in Mississippi.
Truly a magnificent individual who should be better remembered.

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 11:52 pm

Well I just consider Sherman's acts to be dishonorable. The property was not military, he burned civilian homes. Compared to the way the Rebels treated Maryland and Pennsylvania, it's really interesting..

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 12:00 am

LeeAnderson wrote:
Well I just consider Sherman's acts to be dishonorable. The property was not military, he burned civilian homes. Compared to the way the Rebels treated Maryland and Pennsylvania, it's really interesting..

Be that as it may, Sherman hastened the end of the war by destroying the south's means of waging war and determination to fight, and is considered to be the first modern general by historians. Lee and the Confederacy, on the other hand, represented a way of warfare that was rapidly becoming obsolete during the war that they themselves had unleashed.

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 12:04 am

I can't disagree that his methods were effective. History is written by the victors as well.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 12:09 am

LeeAnderson wrote:
I can't disagree that his methods were effective. History is written by the victors as well.

And yet, for years and years, Sherman had been regarded as a monster in history books in both the north and south, with little regard to his military genius.

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 12:14 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
LeeAnderson wrote:

And yet, for years and years, Sherman had been regarded as a monster in history books in both the north and south, with little regard to his military genius.

That's what I was meaning to refer to. The man was an intelligent general. There were several others that were just as good or better in the very same war, however. Stonewall Jackson was an excellent general.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 12:26 am

LeeAnderson wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
LeeAnderson wrote:

That's what I was meaning to refer to. The man was an intelligent general. There were several others that were just as good or better in the very same war, however. Stonewall Jackson was an excellent general.

Sure, Stonewall was a great general - just not bullet proof.

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 12:28 am

:D Ain't that the truth..

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 12:34 am

LeeAnderson wrote:
:D Ain't that the truth..

And sadly, neither was Lincoln.

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 2:35 am

Sadly, yes.

Wasn't he the first U.S. president to be assassinated? Sad record.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 3:16 am

LeeAnderson wrote:
Sadly, yes.

Wasn't he the first U.S. president to be assassinated? Sad record.

Yes, he was. Prior to Lincoln's assassination, practically anyone could visit the White House and talk to the President. Of course, within reason - I imagine you'd need an appointment. But Andrew Jackson pretty much threw an open house on inauguration day - the White House ended up in shambles.