I'm male, and I say "Neigh!" 14%  14%  [ 22 ]
I'm female, and I say "Yes" 15%  15%  [ 23 ]
I'm female, and I say "No" 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 155

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 11:46 pm

Maybe thievery is the first profession,Oog has a deer leg,Brog steals it from him and then trades it to Choog for sex.Then you need the politician to make laws to prevent deer leg theft,then the police to enforce the law,it dosnt work so Oog hires Dorg to kill Brog.It seems a logical progression.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 11:55 pm

Here's some made-up anthropological history...

First professions were likely Hunter and Gatherer. From these likely came Warrior and Farmer.

Prostitution may have come from a woman's desire to survive -- make thump-thump with man and he give you food.

Then religion was invented (when the first scoundrel met the first fool, no doubt), and it became known that the Great Ooga-Booga decreed that the first man to thump-thump a girl owned her, and he was required to feed her for the rest of her life.

Thus marriage was invented.

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 1:43 am

I find it detestable, but I think it should be legal.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

18 Oct 2012, 4:46 am

MarketAndChurch wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

The whole 'legalize it and regulate it heavily' annoys me. Why should it be prohibited in the first place?

There should be some sort of regulations, to protect the clients and the workers. Make sure that the workers aren't enslaved. Try to minimize disease spread.

Restaurants have to pass sanitary inspections. Brothels probably should, too.

Slavery is already illegal and self interest should dictate people value their health.

You do realize there are more slaves now than at any other point in history, and a multi-billion dollar international trade in human beings for sex labor?

People don't value their health if the choice is between starving or being beaten and raped vs having sex without a condom.

Well there more people period than any other point in history but I'd like to see a source for that, I am actually not aware of this.

this is a christian pamphlet from the film makers of "Amazing Grace"

http://www.amazinggracemovie.com/_pdf/e ... lavery.pdf

Between 12 million reported by governments to as high as 30 million reported by NGO's.

Well that's horrible. I'm not sure 12-30 million is more than any other point in history; I know there were about 4 million slaves just in the US before the Civil War but that is far too many regardless.

I'm not sure the relevance in relation to legalizing prostitution however. I would imagine it would reduce human trafficking if anything. The bootleggers and lawlessness of alcohol prohibition went away with the repeal of the 18th amendment. I would believe the same would be true with drugs and prostitution. When you ban or restrict something it doesn't just disappear, you create a black market and empower criminals willing to break these laws.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 7:19 am

So far, the gents are much more in favour of legalising prostitution than not. The few ladies who bothered to vote are about evenly split--slightly more against than in favour.

I wonder how to account for the gender difference?

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 8:31 am

There are not as many women around here to vote.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 9:30 am

YippySkippy wrote:
There are not as many women around here to vote.

Yes, I know. Politics and philosophy aren't very girly pastimes. I'm talking about the proportionally greater interest in legalised prostitution among male poll-participants compared to female poll-participants: not the fact that more boys than girls are voting in the poll. I suspect that, in the general population, this would also be the case.

TrainofLove
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Oct 2012, 9:53 am

It's legal in New Zealand, but then, New Zealand is a f****d up country with a dick head of a prime minister.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 9:58 am

From the beginning of time as soon as a woman voiced her views on politics or philosophy she probably got hit in the head with a rock or fist to shut her up.It still happens in some places.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 1:59 pm

Fnord wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Mere legalization would not keep the prostitutes clean, healthy, and free from victimization. The whole industry would have to be regulated, from recruiting to training, licensing, hiring, fair and equitable pay, work conditions, medical benefits, time off, and retirement benefits. Merely making it legal would improve nothing.
Legalization would be a necessary first step.

No.

Means must be in place to license and regulate the industry before any legalized activity can take place.

Making licensed and regulated prostitution legal might work, but just making it legal to practice prostitution would not.

Otherwise, we have the same situation that legalizing medicinal marijuana has made. That is, there is no standard in place for regulation dosage, strength of each dose, and the purity and safety of the "medicine" being provided -- it's as bad as herbalism, homeopathy and other forms of quackery.

If it's illegal, by definition, it can't be regulated.

Often (not always), when something is regulated, not following the regulations is illegal. From the starting point of illegality, regulation is still legalisation.

Fnord wrote:
Then religion was invented (when the first scoundrel met the first fool, no doubt), and it became known that the Great Ooga-Booga decreed that the first man to thump-thump a girl owned her, and he was required to feed her for the rest of her life.

Thus marriage was invented.

:wink:

Actually, mariage has nothing to do with religion. It is a social practice.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 5:30 pm

I'm male and vote yes.

Why criminalise the only way that some vulnerable women can make an income?

Besides we already have an overburdening prison population and custody does nothing other than perpetuate the cycle of : inability to find legitimate work -> Poverty -> prostitution.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 5:31 pm

TrainofLove wrote:
It's legal in New Zealand,

Good.

TrainofLove wrote:
but then, New Zealand is a f**** up country with a dick head of a prime minister.

No doubt, but thats not indicted by their refusal to ban prostitution.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 8:03 pm

It looks like feminists, by-and-large, are against prostitution.

http://www.womensmediacenter.com/featur ... hts-treaty

Do they just not want men to have sex?

It seems to be a power issue--they want to put men in their place.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 8:17 pm

Legalization allows for regulation. Prostitutes are much more likely to be treated badly if prostitution is illegal, because they cannot go anywhere for help without giving away that they are a prostitute--something not only illegal but incredibly stigmatized. At least if it's legal they will be much more inclined to go to the police and report abuse.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

revertigo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Oct 2012, 8:42 pm

Make it ilegal and increase crime and the statistics of non prostitutes being raped, or make it legal and lower crime, rape, STDs and increase the countries money with the tax on it? I go for legal.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 9:07 pm

There is a new activist feminist group, started in Ukraine, called FEMEN

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FEMEN

I will highly recommend that you look up this group on YouTube, guys. :wink:

Anyway, they are protesting, in very colourful ways, against sex tourism and prostitution in Ukraine, where the prostitution industry has been growing by leaps and bounds.