Page 9 of 23 [ 368 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 23  Next

Should Prostitution be Legal?
I'm male, and I say "Yay!" 66%  66%  [ 103 ]
I'm male, and I say "Neigh!" 14%  14%  [ 22 ]
I'm female, and I say "Yes" 15%  15%  [ 23 ]
I'm female, and I say "No" 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 155

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 9:01 pm

Jacoby wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Now, I think there is a a lot of abuse of sex workers but the majority of that is the result of it being illegal and the stigmatization that goes with it.

I think the majority of it is the result of men abusing sex workers, to be honest. I think they will do it even if it's legal, it's just that legalising it would provide the women some protection.

And do you think given protection that the ones perpetrating this abuse would continue at the same rate? It isn't a big leap for someone already committing an illegal act to commit another one. If it were legalized, then wouldn't the black market that fills the void wither and fade away? I don't see any logic in it perpetuating when the environment that allows it to exist is removed unless you think men are just inherently monsters and in that case you have other issues to take care of.

I honestly think some men are, but that's informed by my personal experience - plus the fact that the black market in sex trafficking is booming in Amsterdam.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 9:01 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

No, my position is that no well-of-mind person would buy sex.

I think that people who are well-of-mind do purchase sex. Do you have any argument based upon the DSM? It used to be that no "well-of-mind" person would engage in homosexuality.

No, I don't have an argument based on the DSM. It's just my opinion.

Merely disapproving of another person's activity does not make that person "ill-of-mind."

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 9:07 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

No, my position is that no well-of-mind person would buy sex.

I think that people who are well-of-mind do purchase sex. Do you have any argument based upon the DSM? It used to be that no "well-of-mind" person would engage in homosexuality.

No, I don't have an argument based on the DSM. It's just my opinion.

Merely disapproving of another person's activity does not make that person "ill-of-mind."

No, I honestly do think someone is emotionally messed-up if they pay for sex. It speaks volumes about their attitude to themselves and to other people.

In my opinion, your body is an aspect of yourself integral to your personhood. If you see bodies as something to be bought and sold, then I think something is wrong with you. I realise that my opinion isn't the mainstream one, and people tell me I'm the one who's messed-up and unhealthy, but I don't care. I believe in what I think is right.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

26 Oct 2012, 9:35 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
I think the feminist perspective(whatever school we're dealing with) is that no well of mind woman could consent to sex work. Honestly at the core of it it's a very anti-woman viewpoint in my opinion given that implication despite trying to reconcile it with being 'anti-john'. Even if a woman willingly participates she is being raped on some level.

It's impossible for a woman to enjoy it or find the work preferable to other lines of work. There is a weird valuation of sex, how is having sex for money any different than flipping burgers for money? As mention, what's the difference between a massage and sex work? Really, what is the difference between any line of work?

No, my position is that no well-of-mind person would buy sex. Selling sex is a reasonable choice in some circumstances.

I've already stated why I think sex work is different to other kinds of 'services' but you can just go 'I disagree'. It won't change either of our opinions.

How is any less unreasonable to buy sex? Is it any more reasonable pretending you want a relationship with someone? That is, if your so lucky for that person is even interested in you. If it is reasonable for somebody to offer this service, why is it unreasonable to take up their offer?

Well, you can cut the end of post off I guess and just say my response is just that 'I disagree' I guess. You're reasoning for it being different is that sex workers(correct me if I'm wrong) face certain hazards in their job and my response to that was that there are plenty of hazardous normal jobs as well. That's without saying my belief that the reason it is so hazardous is the result of it being illegal.

Really its not a debate worth having tho if you side for legalization, it just doesn't make a sense given your views.

Last edited by Jacoby on 26 Oct 2012, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 9:39 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
No, I honestly do think someone is emotionally messed-up if they pay for sex.

Not necessarily. Coitus can be very therapeutic. Being able to pay for coitus may help ease one emotionally.

puddingmouse wrote:
It speaks volumes about their attitude to themselves and to other people.

Volumes? To me, it says nothing. What does it say to you?

puddingmouse wrote:
In my opinion, your body is an aspect of yourself integral to your personhood.

Yes.

puddingmouse wrote:
If you see bodies as something to be bought and sold, then I think something is wrong with you.

Not bought and sold--only rented.

puddingmouse wrote:
I realise that my opinion isn't the mainstream one, and people tell me I'm the one who's messed-up and unhealthy, but I don't care. I believe in what I think is right.

As long as you think that you are fine and healthy, then that is all that really matters.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 9:42 pm

@Jacoby
I think the potential for psychological injury from being a sex worker is as high as that for being a soldier who goes to war. I think both roles are perpetuated by patriarchy. I'm as critical of the military as I am of the sex industry.

That's why it's different to other jobs: I don't think it would exist if patriarchy didn't exist. Thinking of sex as something you can buy is a pathology created by patriarchy. The supply is simply created to meet the demand - wanting to make money is not pathological.

I support legalised and regulated prostitution because for practical reasons: we live under patriarchy and will for the forseeable future.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 9:50 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Volumes? To me, it says nothing. What does it say to you?

I don't understand how you can get off with a partner who's only doing it for the money. That thought would kill my libido instantly. If you actually prefer a partner that's only doing it for the money, that suggests you have problems with emotional intimacy so huge that even a one-night stand or a Craigslist hookup is too involved for you.

ArrantPariah wrote:
Not bought and sold--only rented.

Same difference form where I'm sitting.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 10:13 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
I don't understand how you can get off with a partner who's only doing it for the money.

An orgasm is an orgasm.

puddingmouse wrote:
That thought would kill my libido instantly.

Male and female plumbing systems are different.

puddingmouse wrote:
If you actually prefer a partner that's only doing it for the money, that suggests you have problems with emotional intimacy so huge that even a one-night stand or a Craigslist hookup is too involved for you.

Yep. Too much trouble, and potentially just as dangerous.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 10:17 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
I don't understand how you can get off with a partner who's only doing it for the money.

An orgasm is an orgasm.

I get it, you don't care what your partner thinks of you, as long as you're being 'serviced'. This is why I am practically a lesbian.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

26 Oct 2012, 10:20 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
@Jacoby
I think the potential for psychological injury from being a sex worker is as high as that for being a soldier who goes to war. I think both roles are perpetuated by patriarchy. I'm as critical of the military as I am of the sex industry.

That's why it's different to other jobs: I don't think it would exist if patriarchy didn't exist. Thinking of sex as something you can buy is a pathology created by patriarchy. The supply is simply created to meet the demand - wanting to make money is not pathological.

I support legalised and regulated prostitution because for practical reasons: we live under patriarchy and will for the forseeable future.

I'm not sure I agree that sex workers face the same potential of psychological injury as a soldier at war. Maybe if they faced the same potential of maiming or death to themselves and their comrades while being away from home for years at a time.

Last edited by Jacoby on 26 Oct 2012, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 10:20 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

An orgasm is an orgasm.

I get it, you don't care what your partner thinks of you, as long as you're being 'serviced'. This is why I am practically a lesbian.

It is probably better not to dwell on it.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 10:23 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

An orgasm is an orgasm.

It is probably better not to dwell on it.

For who and why?

26 Oct 2012, 11:12 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
@Jacoby

Prostitution predates the patriarchy and is the oldest profession known to humanity. It goes back as far as recorded history(almost 7000 years! 8O ).

If you think that the West is a patriarchy, well, try living in a non-secular muslim country. They are the most fiercely patriarchal societies in the world were prostitution is strictly prohibited and punishable by death(to the hooker :( ). The first society to outlaw prostitution was ancient Israel.

Last edited by AspieRogue on 26 Oct 2012, 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 11:15 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
@Jacoby

Prostitution predates the patriarchy and is the oldest profession known to humanity. It goes back as far as recorded history(almost 7000 years! 8O ).

I'm not a believer in the ancient matriarchies. I believe patriarchy is at least as old as Homo sapiens.
Also, prostitution can't be the oldest profession. You would have to have food or goods to exchange for it, which would mean something like hunting or gathering would be the oldest professions.

26 Oct 2012, 11:37 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
@Jacoby

I'm not a believer in the ancient matriarchies. I believe patriarchy is at least as old as Homo sapiens.
Also, prostitution can't be the oldest profession. You would have to have food or goods to exchange for it, which would mean something like hunting or gathering would be the oldest professions.

Matriarchies DO exist. Even in modern times. They are simply rare and most of them are tribal. One very strange thing about them is that they are often found in very cold climates. An example of a matriarchal society in the modern age is the Sakha of Eastern Siberia.(better know as Yakuts). Hunting wasn't a profession in prehistoric times, it was something done for survival. Prostitution is by far the oldest profession since a profession is where you do something in exchange for something you need. What is your evidence that patriarchy is as old as Homo Sapiens Sapiens?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 7:28 am

The difference in size and strength between the sexes seems to be evident in early humans. The only mammal where this doesn't seem to lead to male dominance I know of, is bonobos. Also, the sheer overwhelming number of patriarchies on the planet suggests to me that the system has some origin in human biology (which doesn't mean it ought not to be challenged). I'm always sceptical when someone claims that some society or other is 'matriarchal' but I will look up the group you gave as an example.

I think humans are much closer to chimpanzees than bonobos