Page 8 of 23 [ 368 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 23  Next

Should Prostitution be Legal?
I'm male, and I say "Yay!" 66%  66%  [ 103 ]
I'm male, and I say "Neigh!" 14%  14%  [ 22 ]
I'm female, and I say "Yes" 15%  15%  [ 23 ]
I'm female, and I say "No" 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 155

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 5:15 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:

Also, the perceive Johns to be low status men who can't get laid so they turn to prostitutes. There is a belief that if you can't attract a woman to you and shag her free of charge then you shouldn't be allowed to have sex. :roll:

As non-females, we can only speculate. Part of it, too, might be that if men are able to satisfy their cravings for a few dollars with a willing administrator, then fewer men might be inclined to attempt to perform the wining, dining and romancing for which coitus is the desired reward, over which women exercise considerable control.

Women don't 'give' or 'reward' you with sex. It's not a commodity. It's an activity with two or more people involved.

Correct. So what is wrong with a man paying a woman do engage in sexual activity with him if she agrees to it? Commodities include services as well as goods. A service can be engaging in a shared activity with someone in exchange for payment from that person.

Like it or lump it, sex is fungible. Plenty of women use sex to manipulate the men in their lives by withholding it if they don't get their way; which I find as contemptible as you find Johns.

I find any sort of mind games played over sex disgusting. I'm straightforward by nature, to a fault. I don't like mind games in general, and ones played over sex for me are worse, because so many strong emotions are felt over sex. And yes, I consider charging and paying for sex another mind game.

Last edited by puddingmouse on 26 Oct 2012, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 5:19 pm

enrico_dandolo wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
Women don't 'give' or 'reward' you with sex.

Then what is the objective of "dating?"

That should be obvious.

Social relationships do not inelectuably lead to sex. Also, in a date, the relationship is expected to be relatively equal and reciprocal.

I really don't think he gets *it*. 'It' being the idea that not all social relationships are transactional in nature, or that humans are capable of doing otherwise.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 5:26 pm

enrico_dandolo wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
Women don't 'give' or 'reward' you with sex. It's not a commodity. It's an activity with two or more people involved.

How is selling sex fundamentally different from selling a massage?

You can't get STDs, internal injuries or pregnancy from giving a massage.
There really aren't many especially demeaning or painful ways to give a massage, either. And yes, sex can be painful and demeaning because I've been there. I've given massages when I didn't really feel like doing it, and it was fine. I've also had sex when I wasn't really into it and it felt awful. I realise that if I had partly-unwilling sex on a regular basis, like a prostitute or a woman in a repressive culture does, I'd get 'used' to it - but I think that would involve a lot of repression and I'd probably be even more messed up mentally as a result.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 6:22 pm

If you look at this featured video

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIqFrbgBEQY[/youtube]

Alex's character would seem to have coitus on his mind. There is a certain amount of assessing and beating-about-the-bush going on. He then invites her to a movie, they exchange contact information, and the lesson trails off.

Alex's character is apparently hoping to establish a series of transactions with this lady, which he is probably hoping will include some ejaculatory administration at some point.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 6:33 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
enrico_dandolo wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

There really aren't many especially demeaning or painful ways to give a massage, either. And yes, sex can be painful and demeaning because I've been there. I've given massages when I didn't really feel like doing it, and it was fine. I've also had sex when I wasn't really into it and it felt awful. I realise that if I had partly-unwilling sex on a regular basis, like a prostitute or a woman in a repressive culture does, I'd get 'used' to it - but I think that would involve a lot of repression and I'd probably be even more messed up mentally as a result.

I would imagine that the problem of STDs, internal injuries and pregrancy would be better dealt if prostitution were legal. It's like any job: there are laws to make factories, stores, warehouses, office buildings, etc., less dangerous, or to compensate workers injured at work. At the very least, these could be made to apply to sex workers, or adapted to deal with their specific issues.

I don't inted to banalize prostitution, but being unsatisfied of one's work isn't exceptionnally abnormal. Prostituion may be extreme in this regard, but many jobs are alienating. In any case, I don't think prositutes choose this line of work because they feel it fulfils their lifelong ambitions. Rather, for some, it's a way to make enough money to get through. No doubt, it is not a good condition, but I don't see how making prostitution illegal makes it any better for these women. We must "solve" the socio-economic reality, not the moral bankruptcy.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 6:36 pm

puddingmouse wrote:

Injuries are possible, if the massage is done unprofessionally.

puddingmouse wrote:
I realise that if I had partly-unwilling sex on a regular basis, like a prostitute or a woman in a repressive culture does, I'd get 'used' to it -

--like any job--

puddingmouse wrote:
but I think that would involve a lot of repression and I'd probably be even more messed up mentally as a result.

Lots of jobs involve repression and getting mentally messed up.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 7:12 pm

enrico_dandolo wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
enrico_dandolo wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

I would imagine that the problem of STDs, internal injuries and pregrancy would be better dealt if prostitution were legal. It's like any job: there are laws to make factories, stores, warehouses, office buildings, etc., less dangerous, or to compensate workers injured at work. At the very least, these could be made to apply to sex workers, or adapted to deal with their specific issues.

I don't inted to banalize prostitution, but being unsatisfied of one's work isn't exceptionnally abnormal. Prostituion may be extreme in this regard, but many jobs are alienating. In any case, I don't think prositutes choose this line of work because they feel it fulfils their lifelong ambitions. Rather, for some, it's a way to make enough money to get through. No doubt, it is not a good condition, but I don't see how making prostitution illegal makes it any better for these women. We must "solve" the socio-economic reality, not the moral bankruptcy.

I don't advocate making prostitution illegal, whatsoever.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 7:14 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:

puddingmouse wrote:
but I think that would involve a lot of repression and I'd probably be even more messed up mentally as a result.

Lots of jobs involve repression and getting mentally messed up.

Having sex you don't really want to have is a different kind of messed up - for me, anyway.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 7:23 pm

The Joliet police go after prostitution regularly

http://heraldnews.suntimes.com/news/105 ... trade.html

Quote:
...Inside the police station’s tactical room, the officers are scouring thebackpage.com for sex ads, cross-referencing the numbers listed with the ads. They come across titles such as “Double the fun” and “Cutie with a big bootie.”

Officer Jeff German checks a list of phone numbers already investigated during Operation: Room Service II. He calls across the room to Sgt. John Stefanski, who’s looking over recent arrests at his own desk. Stefanski asks German for the number and name on one particular ad and takes a disposable cell phone from a manila envelope. He dials.

Hi. You got time for me in an hour?” he asks in a voice reminiscent of actor James Woods’ sleazier roles. Stefanski smiles as he says he always brings enough money and doesn’t like to talk specifics over the phone. The rendezvous is set and the tactical unit prepares to make its first arrest of the night.....

As another cop circles the building to hold the door open, Stefanski is buzzed in to meet “Unique,” who advertised using cell phone photos of herself wearing tight pants in front of a bathroom mirror. “The crime occurs when she agrees to have sex for money,” Stefanski said.

He is inside for only about a minute before he calls for everyone to come in. The 31-year-old woman sits in handcuffs on an armchair and watches as officers search the apartment. It appears she intended to take him into a candle-lit bedroom for sex. Her four children — ages 13, 10, 9, and 8 — are watching TV in the next room.

The woman tells Stefanski she doesn’t sell drugs and has been looking for other work since getting laid off from her job. “I got to pay the rent somehow,” she said.

Unique is arrested but told she will be released on a recognizance bond because she had no previous prostitution arrests. Previous arrests would have turned the misdemeanor into a felony. The officers don’t find any drugs and they are just as relieved when her record comes back clean because she’s been unable to find anyone willing to watch her children if she had to go down to the station....

She is released from the handcuffs and sits down at a table while Stefanski completes the complaint form.

Unique is warned of the consquences if she is arrested for prostitution again and remains calm. But is upset to learn her cell phone will be seized.

She allows officers to search the contact list, where approximately 125 people are listed as “BP (Backpage)” clients with their names and information the kinds of encounters they paid for....

The poor woman has discovered an easy way to make money, and the cops won't let her do it.

We could just as well legalize her profession, and let her support herself, grow wealthy and pay taxes. But, no. That would be just too sensible.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 7:31 pm

Making it legal would drive out the black markets with a spotlight and make it easier to stop the slavery thing.

But in a perfect world. Prostitution wouldn't happen. Instead, sex crazed males would be mating with sex crazed females in equality of rights.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

26 Oct 2012, 8:08 pm

I think the feminist perspective(whatever school we're dealing with) is that no well of mind woman could consent to sex work. Honestly at the core of it it's a very anti-woman viewpoint in my opinion given that implication despite trying to reconcile it with being 'anti-john'. Even if a woman willingly participates she is being raped on some level.

It's impossible for a woman to enjoy it or find the work preferable to other lines of work. There is a weird valuation of sex, how is having sex for money any different than flipping burgers for money? As mention, what's the difference between a massage and sex work? Really, what is the difference between any line of work?

Now, I think there is a a lot of abuse of sex workers but the majority of that is the result of it being illegal and the stigmatization that goes with it. There are certain work hazards but it isn't the only hazardous line of work and certainly not the most.

This ideology needs the victim mentality to perpetuate itself.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 8:15 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Now, I think there is a a lot of abuse of sex workers but the majority of that is the result of it being illegal and the stigmatization that goes with it.

I think the majority of it is the result of men abusing sex workers, to be honest. I think they will do it even if it's legal, it's just that legalising it would provide the women some protection.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 8:21 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I think the feminist perspective(whatever school we're dealing with) is that no well of mind woman could consent to sex work. Honestly at the core of it it's a very anti-woman viewpoint in my opinion given that implication despite trying to reconcile it with being 'anti-john'. Even if a woman willingly participates she is being raped on some level.

It's impossible for a woman to enjoy it or find the work preferable to other lines of work. There is a weird valuation of sex, how is having sex for money any different than flipping burgers for money? As mention, what's the difference between a massage and sex work? Really, what is the difference between any line of work?

No, my position is that no well-of-mind person would buy sex. Selling sex is a reasonable choice in some circumstances.

I've already stated why I think sex work is different to other kinds of 'services' but you can just go 'I disagree'. It won't change either of our opinions.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 8:54 pm

puddingmouse wrote:

No, my position is that no well-of-mind person would buy sex.

I think that people who are well-of-mind do purchase sex. Do you have any argument based upon the DSM? It used to be that no "well-of-mind" person would engage in homosexuality.

Also, merely disapproving of another person's activities does not make that person sick-of-mind.

Last edited by ArrantPariah on 26 Oct 2012, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

26 Oct 2012, 8:59 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Now, I think there is a a lot of abuse of sex workers but the majority of that is the result of it being illegal and the stigmatization that goes with it.

I think the majority of it is the result of men abusing sex workers, to be honest. I think they will do it even if it's legal, it's just that legalising it would provide the women some protection.

And do you think given protection that the ones perpetrating this abuse would continue at the same rate? It isn't a big leap for someone already committing an illegal act to commit another one. If it were legalized, then wouldn't the black market that fills the void wither and fade away? I don't see any logic in it perpetuating when the environment that allows it to exist is removed unless you think men are just inherently monsters and in that case you have other issues to take care of.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 9:00 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

No, my position is that no well-of-mind person would buy sex.

I think that people who are well-of-mind do purchase sex. Do you have any argument based upon the DSM? It used to be that no "well-of-mind" person would engage in homosexuality.

No, I don't have an argument based on the DSM. It's just my opinion.