Page 3 of 8 [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 11:08 pm

Oodain wrote:
bah without emotions the human decision making process wouldnt work so to say that is even possible doesnt chime well with reality.

there are several cases where damage to the ventromedial prefrontal area leads to indecision and a host of other executive dysfunction issues.

especially the case of "elliott" in retrospect many of his symptoms are similar to what we experience on the autsistic spectru, only much more extreme and with the added bonus of not being able to decide upon anything that requires a value judgement, such as what would you like for dinner, he simply lacks the capacity to prefer one food over another so it, to him is a mute question.

Well, probably not all emotions are "bad". Just those annoying "emo" emotions. I don't know if this just includes things like bad teenage goth poetry / high school sweetheart breakup angst, or if it extends to certain philosophers and writers who could be considered a bit on the "emo" side.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 3:31 am

marshall wrote:
Oodain wrote:
bah without emotions the human decision making process wouldnt work so to say that is even possible doesnt chime well with reality.

there are several cases where damage to the ventromedial prefrontal area leads to indecision and a host of other executive dysfunction issues.

especially the case of "elliott" in retrospect many of his symptoms are similar to what we experience on the autsistic spectru, only much more extreme and with the added bonus of not being able to decide upon anything that requires a value judgement, such as what would you like for dinner, he simply lacks the capacity to prefer one food over another so it, to him is a mute question.

Well, probably not all emotions are "bad". Just those annoying "emo" emotions. I don't know if this just includes things like bad teenage goth poetry / high school sweetheart breakup angst, or if it extends to certain philosophers and writers who could be considered a bit on the "emo" side.

edgar allan poe is pure brilliance and emo, still dont see any actual argument being made.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 8:18 am

Quote:
I don't know if this just includes things like bad teenage goth poetry / high school sweetheart breakup angst

The problem with most teenage writing is that it's poorly-executed. A more refined, practiced writer could address the same topics without sounding awkward and melodramatic. Then again, puberty is a time of awkwardness and melodrama, so what else could one expect?

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 8:59 am

GGPViper wrote:
Well, a lower level degree in political science can be used for... a higher level degree in political science. In my native country of Denmark, there are numerous public top executives (and quite a few private executives) and succesfull McKinsey/Boston Consulting Group consultants (the latter being *very* high paid positions) with that degree. English or History, on the other hand (regardless of higher or lower levels of degrees) rarely amounts to anything but unemployment or teaching in college...

History is not just memorizing events, or even understanding historic processes. A degree in History does not reward only pure knowledge of the past. It's most learning a method to find out what the past is by using various types of sources.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 12:37 pm

Oodain wrote:
marshall wrote:
Oodain wrote:

edgar allan poe is pure brilliance and emo, still dont see any actual argument being made.

Agreed. I was thinking of the existentialists as well.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 2:31 pm

Intellectual is to intellect what emotional is to emotion.

Saying that being intellectual means depending on emotions is like saying that being European means depending on Americans.

The two are just not the same.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 3:08 pm

Fnord wrote:

Saying that being intellectual means depending on emotions is like saying that being European means depending on Americans.

Nobody said they are. I just don't think they are opposite dipoles like you seem to think. Emotion is not the opposite of intellect. Stupid is the opposite of intellect. :D

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 3:31 pm

"Intellectuals", as a group, are generally more opposed to "manual worker" than to "emotional people".

A poet is an intellectual.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 3:34 pm

marshall wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Nobody said they are. I just don't think they are opposite dipoles like you seem to think. Emotion is not the opposite of intellect. Stupid is the opposite of intellect. :D

More lies? I have no reason to trust anything you say, unless it is back by someone else presenting valid and relevant factual evidence.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 4:43 pm

enrico_dandolo wrote:
"Intellectuals", as a group, are generally more opposed to "manual worker" than to "emotional people".

So is anyone who has to plan and think his work out carefully.

ruveyn

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 4:54 pm

Fnord wrote:
marshall wrote:
Fnord wrote:

More lies? I have no reason to trust anything you say, unless it is back by someone else presenting valid and relevant factual evidence.

He could the say the same to you.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 6:45 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Fnord wrote:
marshall wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Intellectual is to intellect what emotional is to emotion. Saying that being intellectual means depending on emotions is like saying that being European means depending on Americans. The two are just not the same.
Nobody said they are. I just don't think they are opposite dipoles like you seem to think. Emotion is not the opposite of intellect. Stupid is the opposite of intellect.
He could the say the same to you.

He could, but he also knows what I'm referring to.

Intellectually speaking, emotions have nothing to do with one's ability reason, except to cloud or disrupt that ability. Thus, intellectualism is to emotionalism as opinions are to lies.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 7:38 pm

enrico_dandolo wrote:

An "intellectual" is a theorist as opposed to a pragmatist. The two groups tend to have mutual contempt for each other. The former are called useless while the latter are called dull. Think pure mathematicians and philosophers vs. doctors and lawyers.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 9:16 pm

Quote:
History is not just memorizing events, or even understanding historic processes. A degree in History does not reward only pure knowledge of the past. It's most learning a method to find out what the past is by using various types of sources.

I would add that the study of history yields a greater understanding of human nature, world cultures, and economic and political systems. By studying the past, one is better able to understand the present, and even to make educated guesses about the future. History is the story of our species, and those who pursue a greater understanding of it must surely be counted among the highest order of intellectuals.

:wink:

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 10:53 pm

marshall wrote:
enrico_dandolo wrote:

An "intellectual" is a theorist as opposed to a pragmatist. The two groups tend to have mutual contempt for each other. The former are called useless while the latter are called dull. Think pure mathematicians and philosophers vs. doctors and lawyers.

I don't know if I would say doctors are intellectuals. Very probably yes. However, lawyers certainly are, in my opinion.

Anyway. This debate is pointless. It is a battle of definitions.

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:

I would add that the study of history yields a greater understanding of human nature, world cultures, and economic and political systems. By studying the past, one is better able to understand the present, and even to make educated guesses about the future. History is the story of our species, and those who pursue a greater understanding of it must surely be counted among the highest order of intellectuals.

:wink:

As a history student more involved than many in the activities of my university's History department, and thus in moderately frequent contact with profesionnal historians outside the classroom, I can say that we leave most of the "greater understanding of huamn nature" to some of our dearest collegues, i.e. anthropologists, and leave the guesses about the future to the delusional. Of course, there is a certain amount of perspective to be gained out of a global knowledge of the past, and this is rather useful and appreciable intellectually speaking. However, I was talking about job perspectives, and pointing out an aspect I find important: History is not only a knowledge, it is a method.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 10:18 am

Quote:
As a history student more involved than many in the activities of my university's History department, and thus in moderately frequent contact with profesionnal historians outside the classroom, I can say that we leave most of the "greater understanding of huamn nature" to some of our dearest collegues, i.e. anthropologists, and leave the guesses about the future to the delusional. Of course, there is a certain amount of perspective to be gained out of a global knowledge of the past, and this is rather useful and appreciable intellectually speaking. However, I was talking about job perspectives, and pointing out an aspect I find important: History is not only a knowledge, it is a method.

I've my own degree in History, whipper-snapper.
What did you think the wink was about?