Shall we list Romney's flip-flops and equivocations?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 7:47 am

The latest one:

http://news.yahoo.com/romney-promises-n ... ction.html

Quote:
Romney promises no abortion legislation

Wading into an explosive social issue, Republican Mitt Romney on Tuesday said he would not pursue any abortion-related legislation if elected president.

"There's no legislation with regards to abortion that I'm familiar with that would become part of my agenda," he told the Des Moines Register in an interview posted on the newspaper's website....

Romney's statement to the newspaper represents an apparent shift on a topic Obama's campaign has tried to use against him, particularly with female voters. Soon after the comments were posted on the Register's website, the president's campaign pounced.

"We know the truth about where he stands on a woman's right to choose: He's said he'd be delighted to sign a bill banning all abortions, and called Roe v. Wade 'one of the darkest moments in Supreme Court history,' while pledging to appoint Supreme Court justices who will overturn it. Women simply can't trust him," Obama spokeswoman Lis Smith said.

As recently as a presidential debate in January, Romney said the Supreme Court should overturn Roe v. Wade, the landmark ruling that legalized abortion across the nation.

Social issues were a focus during the Republican presidential primary earlier in the year as Romney struggled to win over skeptical conservatives. He has focused on economic issues since claiming his party's nomination and offered a moderate tone in recent days.

The Planned Parenthood Action Fund says Romney's statement is misleading.

"Mitt Romney's views on women's health are far outside of the mainstream, and that's why he's trying to hide them in the last weeks until the election," said action fund executive vice president Dawn Laguens.

Romney spokeswoman Andrea Saul did not back away from the Des Moines Register comments when asked for clarification Tuesday night.

"Mitt Romney is proudly pro-life, and he will be a pro-life president," she said.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 6:49 pm

Another one

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/10/us/po ... 21010&_r=0

Quote:
The tale of Asimco Technologies, an auto parts manufacturer whose plants dot eastern China, would seem to underscore Mitt Romney’s campaign-trail complaint that China’s manufacturing juggernaut is costing America jobs.

Nine years ago, the company bought two camshaft factories that employed about 500 people in Michigan. By 2007 both were shut down. Now Asimco manufactures the same components in China on government-donated land in a coastal region that China has designated an export base, where companies are eligible for the sort of subsidies Mr. Romney says create an unfair trade imbalance.

But there is a twist to the Asimco story that would not fit neatly into a Romney stump speech: Since 2010, it has been owned by Bain Capital, the private equity firm founded by Mr. Romney, who has as much as $2.25 million invested in three Bain funds with large stakes in Asimco and at least seven other Chinese businesses, according to his 2012 candidate financial disclosure and other documents.

That and other China-related holdings by Bain funds in which Mr. Romney has invested are a reminder of how he inhabits two worlds that at times have come into conflict during his campaign for the White House.

As a candidate, Mr. Romney uses China as a punching bag.
He accuses Beijing of unfairly subsidizing Chinese exports, artificially holding down the value of its currency to keep exports cheap, stealing American technology and hacking into corporate and government computers.

“How is it China’s been so successful in taking away our jobs?” he asked recently. “Well, let me tell you how: by cheating.”

But his private equity dealings, both while he headed Bain and since, complicate that message....

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 7:23 am

[img][800:521]http://llwproductions.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/photo-with-caption-romney-laughing-about-making-money-from-dead-fetuses.jpg[/img]

TM
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 11:01 am

Tbh, I like the quality of making people believe one thing while you do something completely different. I also admire that Romney puts making money before pesky things like morals and feelings.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 12:18 pm

TM wrote:
Tbh, I like the quality of making people believe one thing while you do something completely different. I also admire that Romney puts making money before pesky things like morals and feelings.

Would you still admire him if he made his money doing criminal acts (most likely fraud)?

ruveyn

TM
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2012, 2:24 pm

ruveyn wrote:
TM wrote:

Would you still admire him if he made his money doing criminal acts (most likely fraud)?

ruveyn

If he could be convicted of it, no.

ComradeKael
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Oct 2012, 5:47 pm

No matter who wins the people of America lose. Neither Obama nor Romney really care about the working class. American politics is a big sham and it always has been. The United States was founded on the basis of, "Rich white landowners dictate everything". "Now, Kael. That's not true". Electoral College - To claim that those who were too poor for a proper education are somehow less intelligent than those who can is just an excuse to justify the rationale of rich over the poor. Obama is Center-Right and Romney is Center-Right. I should point out though that I do respect Thomas Paine, but the other founding Fathers? Not really.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 10:51 am

ComradeKael wrote:
Electoral College - To claim that those who were too poor for a proper education are somehow less intelligent than those who can is just an excuse to justify the rationale of rich over the poor.

How do you define "intelligent"?

spacebrain
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Oct 2012, 11:21 am

Is adjusting your positions for a different constituency a bad trait in democracy? It's the same rhetoric we heard about Kerry and Gore. Really both parties accuse the other of the exact same negative traits. It's really getting old, most people choose the lie they want to hear.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 1:43 pm

They have Mitt Romney flip-flops?! Do they bear an image of his mug on the bottoms, so that with every step you take, you leave an impression of it?

Here are a couple of "Romney Reversals":

#1: The "47% of Americans" remark. Later, he claims to represent "100%" of the American people. Does that mean we have 147% as a total population?

#2: The Planned Parenthood abortion comment. He initially claimed absolutely no abortions should be performed in the instances of rape and incest, then comes out and says he would allow it in those situations and if carrying the baby to term would constitute a threat to the health of the mother.