Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 8:42 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_1ne8WJUvI[/youtube]

Quote:
The Strangest School in the World? Burgess Hill was a boarding school in Hertfordshire, England in the 1960s. A progressive school run by a Cambridge graduate, it allowed the kids to do what ever they liked! We can't quite work out whether this is the best or worst school in the world. Would actually be interesting to know what became of these kids.

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2012, 12:06 am

it kinda looks likes a Montessori school for teenagers. I would have loved that. I didn't learn anything in high school anyway because I zoned out in all my classes.

NewDawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Oct 2012, 6:29 am

These schools were known as anti-authoritarian schools and very much part of the cultural revolution of the late sixties (hippies, flower power, sexual revoltion, feminism, anti-war, etc.). They wouldn't make sense today, as some of the good ideas have been incorporated in the modern schoolsystem. What was bad about them was the complete lack of structure and rules. It was the complete opposite of the strict discipline of 'old fashioned' schools they rebelled against, but in due time the proponents came to realize that this other extreme is just as bad for kids. Kids need structure and rules to flourish. The question became: how much?

The Montessori method is quite different. Maria Montessori was not an anti-disciplarian. While it is true that children have more freedom in a Montessori school, they are not free to do whatever they please. Maria Montessori sought to educate children by following their natural development, and recognized that each child has a slightly different development.

Example: the desire to read is a natural development in children, but they vary in the age when they have this desire. Some children want to learn to read as early as 2 or 3, others not until they are 6 or 7. Montessori schools allow for this difference in development, but within reason. All children have to complete a set of learning units, which they may do in any order they please. Once the child has completed the mandatory set of units, it is free to do an activity of choice. So a child that likes to read may do a more advanced reading exercise.

Unlike regular schools, the Montessori Method also pays attention to motor development, artistic and musical development and social interaction/cooperation. It is non-competitive (no grades).

I went to a Montessori elementary school and had a great time there. Bullying and ostracizing children because they are different is not allowed. Unfortunately, I had to go to a regular seondary school. The rat race I found there was sheer hell for me.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 8:15 am

many of the danish grundtvig koldske freeschools function liekthis to a much lesser extent,

since they are a primary school some of the above is clearly impossible but if i wanted to go read instead of attending class then as long as they know they werent bothered.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2012, 9:22 am

hmmm a school where kids can do what they like..... is that not every school in britain?

Jojoba
Toucan
Toucan

27 Oct 2012, 10:28 am

It appears we are moving away from traditional public learning centers, the big box schools. I get the sense that the model for these older schools was machines. Possibly that was done due to often times the young person would graduate to a factory work environment.

Repetitive factory work isn't the dominate force in our society any longer. Largely due to automation and the internet, our work environment is changing. When it comes to schools of the future, hard to say for sure what will come next. We are likely to see a time of experimentation.

Overall, it appears parents are loosing faith in public schools. Families are now in search of better quality, more modern teaching methods.

"Americans Flee Public Schools"

http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/ ... c-schools/

From the article ~

Quote:
Something very strange is happening around the country: students are disappearing from America’s public schools.
The New York Times reports that many of the country’s largest school districts are rapidly losing students as parents lucky enough to have the choice switch their kids to private and charter schools. In the country’s largest school districts, public school enrollment is down by about 10 percent while charter school enrollment is up by more than 60 percent. This mass flight by newly empowered families is forcing tough choices on school districts:...

&

"Does School Stunt The Teenage Brain?"

http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/ ... age-brain/

snippet:

Quote:
...Nevertheless, the piece points to something important: the modern situation in which kids reach puberty early and economic and emotional adulthood relatively late is not necessarily ideal. Ideally, kids’ lives should integrate both work and study through life — not as nine year old factory slaves, but more like the way kids on American family farms acquired more and more responsible roles as they grew up.
Apprenticeships and other forms of education could well be healthier and more effective than our present over-emphasis on the classroom.
School reform in America needs to involve much more than objective test scores. The 20th century universal school system of rigid grades and the growing separation of learning and work may have made sense 100 years ago. To sit still, follow directions, move with the herd and live by the clock were important skills in the days when repetitive jobs in factories and offices were how most adults lived. But civilization is at a higher level now, and we need to prepare kids for more fluid and dynamic lives.
You don’t need to be a neurologist to see that modern schools stunt brains.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 11:26 am

I went to 2 schools like when I was a kid. one was private and the other was public.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 11:43 am

Since there seem to be no statesmen or leaders of industry bragging about having graduated from Burgess Hill, it may be safe to say that no one ever did graduate or go on to a successful career. Most likely, they became laggarts, layabouts, and skivers on the queen's dole.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 12:27 pm

That is only because these type of schools do not work in our society. If you habitually show up at a job whenever you want and are 15 minutes late, you will be fired no matter how good a worker you are. I once asked a boss for the privilege of flex time because I was in a car pool and I was actually doing him a favor by transporting his workers who did not have cars to the job. I was fired just for asking and he made the workers without cars hitchhike to work. Had I left the workers behind because they were late I would have been fired anyways.