Could we live in a world with out emotions?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mirror
Toucan
Toucan

18 Dec 2006, 4:05 pm

Reading some of the post here (especialy about ethics, morals, ect)

Could we live in a world which was not governed by emotions?

And if so, what would that world be like?

Marrshu
Raven
Raven

18 Dec 2006, 4:31 pm

The problem with a world without emotions is, could we honestly call ourselves human anymore?

Revenant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 4:34 pm

Quote:
Could we live in a world with out emotions?

Welcome to my world! 8)

Quote:
The problem with a world without emotions is, could we honestly call ourselves human anymore?

I feel more like an Alien than a human.

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 4:40 pm

"Could we live in a world not governed by emotions?"

Why not?

"What would it be like?"

Probably much like this one.

[EDIT: I've just changed my mind. I think there would be many differences (also many similarites). Good question.]

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 5:09 pm

I was thinking in terms of all the wars which have being going on ( especially in the last 50 years or so).
They seem to be fueled by emotion.
eg. 'The axis of evil' speech, and the Nazis' 'jews, poles & gypsies' philosophy.

But the real reason for such wars are economic. Emotion isn't a factor so they would still go on.
The difference being that the populace does not need to be duped by notions such as liberation and bringing democracy to the 'third-world'.

Anyhow, i think maybe you were postulating more about the differences in inter-personal relationships.
If these were govenerned by logic rather than emotion, then i think the differences would be more profound. Not that i would know what these would be, but i feel sure i would be more 'successful' at them. :)
In order to understand human behaviour better, i recently discovered that it helps to consider them as biological computers who are programmed to replicate their specific DNA. Clearly, there isn't much room for emotion in this view of things. But it does make some things explainable. So maybe there wouldn't be too many differences in a world not governed by emotions afterall.

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 5:16 pm

If you follow evolution, then feelings is something that was gained. Logic, although it seems colder, might actually be better.

So yes, I think we can live in an 'emotionless' world but there are many other things that may accompany development such as 'self,' 'independence,' and most of all 'responsibility' (no more blaming nature on whatever)

Mirror
Toucan
Toucan

18 Dec 2006, 9:50 pm

I agree, If people had to choose to fallow either logic or emotion, I think the world would be a much better and rational place to live in if they chose logic.

But I beleive, theoretically, That a sociaty that did not have emotions could not survive.

I mean really had no emotoins. Not even the base emotions that every animal feels. Fear.

With out fear we would just be killing ourself off becaus fear is what keeps us alive.

But then again would science and logic even exist if there were no emotions?

Scientest had to have felt curiosity, and a passion for there work.

With out emotions there would be no driving force.

With out emotions wouldn't we be like logs, siting around doing nothing?

And then it leads to question, What about our intelligents? Would that be affected if we did not have emotions to begin with?

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 11:24 pm

I live by pure animal logic. This includes "Do unto others as they do unto you." and "If it feels good do it" but on the other hand perfect animal logic includes Occam's Razor, Social Darwinism and the Scientific Method.

Emotions and Logic must exist together to create the unique animal that is Homo Sapiens

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 11:40 pm

Corvus wrote:
If you follow evolution, then feelings is something that was gained. Logic, although it seems colder, might actually be better.

So yes, I think we can live in an 'emotionless' world but there are many other things that may accompany development such as 'self,' 'independence,' and most of all 'responsibility' (no more blaming nature on whatever)

LOGIC PWNS EMOTIONS!! !! !

I could live in a emotionless world.

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2006, 12:03 am

People of different political persuasions use various arguments to substantiate the claims they make, and most of those people would say that their own reasoning is "logical." I think that we would all like to think that logic is this one single solid, constant monolithic thing, but the reality is that logic is not like that at all. Logic itself is based on a variety of assumptions and precepts, and as long as there are differences in what people think those assumptions and precepts are or should be, logic will mean different things.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2006, 12:06 am

A society without emotions could not survive for the reasons mentioned by mirror. There is no purely rational reason to act in any form or fashion and a being totally without some emotional bias will not function well. This is shown theoretically for the reasons given, as well, it has been seen in people with brain injuries damaging the emotional aspects of their brain.

That being said, I would like it if society emphasized logic over emotion more.

Jeckel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Dec 2006, 4:37 am

I think it comes down to the basic Vulcanian Flaw, emotions are not illogical. I would love a world that wasn't ruled by emotions, it may not be any more happy or any less violent, but atleast I wouldn't have to fake emotions all the time.

But the problem isn't really all the emotions, its the lack of Logic. This I blame on our school system. It is to busy teaching names, dates, and facts, that kids arn't taught how to think about things, ask questions, and solve problems, aka Logic.

Like just about everything in life, absolutes are not good, all this or all that is to conformist and life need variety and balance, yin and yan, heads and tails, emotions and logic, all things in harmony. :)

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2006, 9:32 am

I would argue that one probably couldn't really be alive, if one was unable to feel.

I also think that the line between 'logic' and 'emotion' is a lot blurrier than people make it out to be.

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2006, 11:04 am

I view this as 2 separate things - mind versus body

I've interpreted that emotions are through the 'body.' 'Gut feeling' or 'love at the heart.' Many emotions, except for sadness and happiness, accelerate the breathing. Anxiety, envy, jeaously, etc. These are illusions brought on by the mind and we can live without them, I think. The mind is a controllable thing.

But laughing and crying SLOW the breathing down. Slow breathing is sought after in meditation - its relaxed and feels good. Someone passes away, you cry and you think about them while you do it, quite focused. Funny, when I meditate I focus on something; coincidence?

Laughing - things become less funny over time. Things need to be MORE vulgar (hey, there has to be an end at vulgarness soon (I can go pretty far but I'm using the same things to do it with)) or more creative.

Emotions can be weeding themselves out simply through 'knowledge.' The more you know on a subject, the less 'funny' IT becomes.

Elvis Presley pushed the limits in the 50's but what he did then doesn't come close to anything today. (this was an example of vulgarness leading to a more open mind)

So, there would be no fear as fear is based out of irrational thoughts. Sometimes, there IS nothing to fear. As well, during times of fear (warranted), it would be irrational to get caught up in the fear - you'd be a deer in the headlights < -- martial arts teaches confidence. Knowledge is protection.

The pursuit of knowledge and understanding would replace the emotions felt now. As well, we may end up viewing love 'differently' then we do now but it may still exist, just on a mental 'feeling' level, not a bodily one.

This is just my understanding and theory and crap - I've spent a great deal of time pondering this. My above 'writing' is pretty summed up, but I have theory on laughing and crying as well as emotion leaving (heading towards logic?). I've thought of the process of going from 'emotion' to 'logic' or 'feeling' to 'thinking.' There is emotional intelligence and intellectual intelligence. Afterall, how can "understanding" be a bad thing?

dimensionaltraveler
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Dec 2006, 6:39 pm

I think a world without emotions would be like the Borg in Star Trek. Which I think is fine. I would like cybernetic enhancements.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2006, 12:28 am

I think one can have emotions, but not be completely dominated by them or use emotion as a platform for thought. But, could still have compassion. Humans or life on earth for that matter, are not like that... Though all people **can** overcome their animal instincts and learn to think logically if they so choose to. I have overcame my inner animal for the most part.... I mean it's not something you can --completely-- kill, but you can learn to get out all the bad traits of it. It takes time and dedication. We aspies and intellectuals are already analytical and carry a few advantages in this, seeing as we have high IQs.