Marijuana legalization on the ballot in three states.

Page 3 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 5:25 pm

GGPViper wrote:
Your fault. Misslizard's post had a scope much wider than therapeutic use of marijuana, so your apology is not accepted.
Childish rebuke: You started it.

Which all serves to demonstrate that your opinion is really not worth the bandwidth wasted to transmit it.

If you can't behave like an adult, then what are you doing participating in this forum?

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 5:42 pm

visagrunt wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
Your fault. Misslizard's post had a scope much wider than therapeutic use of marijuana, so your apology is not accepted.
Childish rebuke: You started it.

Which all serves to demonstrate that your opinion is really not worth the bandwidth wasted to transmit it.

If you can't behave like an adult, then what are you doing participating in this forum?

1. Claim that your opponent is guilty of a logical fallacy by cherry-picking quotes from his post.
2. Claim that your opponent cannot read by cherry-picking quotes from his post.
3. Claim that your opponent is not behaving as an adult by cherry-picking quotes from his post.

... A little introspection might be in order, visagrunt...

I have done my best to be civilized in this discussion so far. But you continue to launch unprovoked personal attacks against me. You started an argument based on a misrepresentation of my views, and you have been throwing insults at me ever since...

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 6:28 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
Where is ValentineWiggin? Let's hear her chime on this and what an outrage that there is a push to legalize pot since it causes schizophrenia! :lol:

are you f*****g kidding me?

I could say so much about this, but I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut because all it's going to cause is a big s**t storm of nonsense...

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 6:28 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
Pot can trigger LSD flashbacks.

...not if you've never taken LSD

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 6:36 pm

I think it's important to point out the fact that nobody has ever died from smoking too much pot, yet people have died from drinking too much water. That, and it's physically impossible to even smoke the amount needed to kill you in the amount of time required to give you the concentration of a lethal dose of THC...

WATER is more dangerous than marijuana. And that is a 100% true fact. I don't give a f**k HOW ridiculous it sounds, nor do I care that water is essential to life. It doesn't change the fact that it can kill you. FACT IS STRANGER THAN FICTION...

QUICK!! ! LET'S ALL OUTLAW THE EVIL WATER!! !

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 11:40 am

GGPViper wrote:
I have done my best to be civilized in this discussion so far. But you continue to launch unprovoked personal attacks against me. You started an argument based on a misrepresentation of my views, and you have been throwing insults at me ever since...

Not accepting an apology constitutes doing your best to be civilized?

Try that out in the real world and see how well you do.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 11:52 am

if you're going to advocate the continued illegalisation of Cannabis on the grounds of its social destruction, you may as well advocate the banning of alcohol and tobacco. These both cause far more social damage. More people drink themselves to death or smoke their way to cancer than anything else.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 2:54 pm

DerStadtschutz wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

And some people that have tried LSD see that as an added benefit.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 2:57 pm

DerStadtschutz wrote:
I think it's important to point out the fact that nobody has ever died from smoking too much pot, yet people have died from drinking too much water. That, and it's physically impossible to even smoke the amount needed to kill you in the amount of time required to give you the concentration of a lethal dose of THC...

WATER is more dangerous than marijuana. And that is a 100% true fact. I don't give a f**k HOW ridiculous it sounds, nor do I care that water is essential to life. It doesn't change the fact that it can kill you. FACT IS STRANGER THAN FICTION...

Well aside from being able to die from drinking too much water at once, people can drown in it as well so it is far easier to die from water than it is from marijuana.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 2:58 pm

People die in car crashes so the best option is to prohibit cars and the fuel for them!

Noodlebug
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Oct 2012, 3:22 pm

I think it will pass in Oregon, seeing as over half the people I know are constantly high.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 3:23 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
DerStadtschutz wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

And to overdose on LSD is almost impossible... Peanuts are more dangerous than LSD.

.. and LSD might even be an effective treatment against alcohol abuse...

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 3:30 pm

GGPViper wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
DerStadtschutz wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

And to overdose on LSD is almost impossible... Peanuts are more dangerous than LSD.

.. and LSD might even be an effective treatment against alcohol abuse...

That is pretty much true, though its not exactly that its almost impossible to die from it, its just typically one does not have enough at one time to die from, unless they are selling it and then well they are selling it not ingesting it all them self. A deadly amount would be pretty damn expensive as far as I know....lol

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 4:51 pm

I find it disturbing that there is a belief that we can meaningfully quantify the "danger" of various substances, and then engange in some type of scaling based on that quantification. I am further disturbed that the only standard on which these comparisons are being made is lethality.

The lethality of peanuts is directly related to the incidence of autoimmune response to them. Leaving aside accident, the lethality of peanut ingestion is entirely coincidental with a propensity of adverse reaction. If you are not sensitive to peanuts, then there is not meaningful lethality. If you are sensitive to peanuts, then there is potentially no safe dose. To put it simply, the lethality of peanuts has to do with the person, not the peanut--what is perfectly safe for over 98% of the population is deadly to less than 2% of the population. Nothing will ever make the peanut dangerous to the 98% who have no immune response to it.

On the other hand, with drugs, the effects are more universal. Everyone who takes LSD is affected by it. There is still an issue of degree, to be sure, but no one is immune (so far as I am aware) to its effect. Now that doesn't, in and of itself, make LSD more dangerous. But hallucinogens do present increased danger of collateral injury. And like the peanut, for a very small percentage of people, LSD can exacerbate other conditions.

None of which demonstrates that one is more or less dangerous than the other. I don't give my patients a hard time for marijuana use, provided that they do not present a respiratory disorder or an immune disorder. But just as I would tell the 1% of the population who have a confirmed peanut intolerance to avoid peanuts, so too i would advise the small percentage who have immune disorders to avoid marijuana. Simple as that.

And let's be clear. When I give advice to a patient, or when a pharmacist does so, we are professionally responsible for the advice that we give. And we professionally misconduct ourselves if we subordinate that professional responsibility to other motivations. But a lay person who is pursuing a political agenda is free to tout marijuana as a panacea and has no responsibility to the people who receive that advice. If an oncologist wants to prescribe marijuana as an appetite stimulant to a patient undergoing chemo, then I would never second guess that oncologist's opinion (unless the patient asked me for a second opinion). But I would not extend the same respect to an opinion rendered generally, or an opinion rendered by a lay person.

It is only the individual who can make a meaningful determination of what is safe and what is harmful. And that determination should be made with the best information possible, and that includes talking with a knowledgable professional like a physician or a pharmacist.

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 6:26 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
DerStadtschutz wrote:

Well aside from being able to die from drinking too much water at once, people can drown in it as well so it is far easier to die from water than it is from marijuana.

Exactly... So technically, water IS more dangerous than marijuana, and coffee is water plus tiny particles of coffee, so coffee is ABSOLUTELY more dangerous than marijuana. So, if marijuana is to be banned, let's ban water, coffee, tobacco, alcohol, and a whole shedload of other things.

No, I don't actually mean we should ban any of these things; quite the contrary. Nothing should be banned. Even in the case of extremely dangerous and addictive drugs, they should be legal. It's your body, and you should have the choice to do what YOU want with the damn thing. Most of the troubles associated with drugs are caused by the fact that they're illegal in the first place. people wouldn't be robbing old ladies and beating the s**t out of each other to get heroin if you could just go get it at the store or make it yourself at home. Gangs wouldn't be killing each other over drug-selling turf if you didn't need to find a dealer in the first place. All the anti-drug laws does is force people who wish to do them to deal with the real criminals, the dangerous ones. It also causes people to get ripped off and burned, which causes people to want to go cause the ones who ripped them off harm. It causes violence and all other kinds of crime. Look at what happened with prohibition of alcohol. It's the same concept.

If you wish to destroy your own body and life, that should be your choice, and it already is, with other things like alcohol and tobacco. So, you can't even try to pretend that the laws are there to protect us. There's zero consistency. s**t, look at how many idiots end up killing each other every year from auto accidents... But are cars outlawed? WHERE'S THE CONSISTENCY!?!?

Oh by the way, marijuana is not a drug. It is an HERB. And also, most LEGAL drugs are just as bad if not worse for you than the ILLEGAL ones. That, and THC and CBD(the two active compounds in cannabis) have been PROVEN to be therapeutic. In addition to this, and because of this, the pharmaceutical industry has been trying to find a way to alter those compounds in a way that allows them to patent them and use them in "medicine." But, guess what? The medicines they made do just as much harm as good, if any good, and I'm pretty sure they found out it can be lethal.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 11:42 am

DerStadtschutz wrote:
Oh by the way, marijuana is not a drug. It is an HERB. And also, most LEGAL drugs are just as bad if not worse for you than the ILLEGAL ones. That, and THC and CBD(the two active compounds in cannabis) have been PROVEN to be therapeutic. In addition to this, and because of this, the pharmaceutical industry has been trying to find a way to alter those compounds in a way that allows them to patent them and use them in "medicine." But, guess what? The medicines they made do just as much harm as good, if any good, and I'm pretty sure they found out it can be lethal.

The fact that marijuana is a plant does not in any way diminish its classification as a drug.

The Oxford English Dictionary wrote:
drug, n/
a. Originally: any substance, of animal, vegetable, or mineral origin, used as an ingredient in pharmacy, chemistry, dyeing, or various manufacturing processes. In later use: spec. a natural or synthetic substance used in the prevention or treatment of disease, a medicine; (also) a substance that has a physiological effect on a living organism.

b. A substance with intoxicating, stimulant, or narcotic effects used for cultural, recreational, or other non-medicinal purposes. In later use freq.: spec. a controlled substance used illegally and often habitually. Freq. in pl.

To roundly claim that THC and CBD have been "proven to be therapeutic" is precisely the kind of irresponsible amateurism that I have been complaining about. I have absolutely no problem with the call for marijuana cultivation and use to be legalized. But the practice of medicine and pharmacy should be left to people who are qualified to practice those professions.