Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 2:59 pm

The issue is more about the fact that people never hear about the good police officers anymore, just the ones that give police in general a bad name.

blackelk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Oct 2012, 3:02 pm

Oodain wrote:
i really dont see why there isnt a camera on every cops uniform, recording non stop to a non erasable medium for reference, data on a server would work if properly encrypted and maintained by someone with no connection to the police.

i dont care about their privacy or feelings, if you wield extraordinary authority then there needs to be extraordinary checks and balances to ensure proper operation,
i also think any politicized comment made as an on duty representative should be forbidden.

No kidding, there needs to be a camera and mic on every cop. Not just in their cars. Actually many people carry cameras and recorded cops, and the cops get pissed as f**k, and have even arrested them. What are they so scared of people seeing?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 3:03 pm

GGPViper wrote:
I think this may be due to educational demands.

I am not familiar with the educational demands for US police officers, but in Denmark, the education is about to be bumped up to a bachelor of science in the coming years. My guess is that this has a significant impact on the make-up of the candidates who seek and complete training as police officers...

And Danish police officers are generally well respected in the populace.

I don't know if it's still in practice, but at one time, having too high an IQ could disqualify you for being a police officer here in the USA.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 4:28 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkmYhRqkdjM[/youtube][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWOEE5aE0L8[/youtube][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAbRxRz-Lss&feature=related[/youtube] :lol: :lol: :lol: and they say you cant get away from the cops! Of course if they get yer license plate number Your really in for some trouble later!!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 10:29 am

GGPViper wrote:

I am not familiar with the educational demands for US police officers, but in Denmark, the education is about to be bumped up to a bachelor of science in the coming years. My guess is that this has a significant impact on the make-up of the candidates who seek and complete training as police officers...

depends on where and what is at stake,

policemen at the climate summit was hated by reporters and activists alike while the local cop giving you a fine for speeding is generally well liked despite the personal implication of a speeding ticket.

that said most cops are fairly rational with regards to their jobs and most i have met use personal discretion in a very competent way.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 10:34 am

Misslizard wrote:
Everyone hates the cops till someone steals your car or breaks into your house.Some are jack-asses,some are not.If the laws are bad try and change them.I've known some power hungry jerks and some real nice ones.But if some scumbag is robbing a store are you going to be brave enough to go in and stop it?Make a civilian's arrest?I'm not,I'm chicken-s$&t ,I'm going to run the other way.They are a nescacary evil,it would be great if we didn't need them.Unfortunately there are thieves,rapists,murderers and child molesters out there,get rid of them and we could be cop free.

Everytime I've 'needed' police assistance they've been less than useful. A couple of years ago I went to them because I suspected I'd been a victim of ID theft. They weren't interested and more or less told me to go away.

Here in Northern Ireland we used to have the RUC who were in practice little more than a state run, sectarian paramilitary force. They were redecorated as the PSNI without its British iconography to make it more appealing to Nationalists. They're still as useless as ever and can only be seen when there is an affront to the status quo in progress. Pretty much the same as any other Police force. Created by the establishment to defend the establishment against an organised public.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 8:06 pm

Are you a female? That would explain why you have a more positive experience with the police.[/quote]

Yeah,I'm female so they most likely see me as no threat.I don't like the cops who do a beat down on innocent protesters that are peaceful but when people start burning cars and breaking windows than the innocent get pepper sprayed along with the guilty.I think that many cops have seen such gruesome sights that many have something like PTSD,we have a meth problem and some of the crimes have been very violent,a man stabbed someone he thought snitched him out 45 times,another tweaker pushed his wheel-chair bound wife into a pond and drowned her,another killed someone then set them on fire at the creek,a little girl sleeping in her bed was removed by her meth head step-dad and his friend,raped than killed and thrown in a sinkhole,child services rescued a baby that had been kept in a car seat her whole life,the back of her head is flat from it.It would be hard to see these things on a regular basis,I think it would cause you to be maybe over-vigilant with people.Many cops have higher than average alcoholism and suicide rates.I don't think I could handle seeing what some of them have to deal with.The few jerks give all of them a and rap.

Last edited by Misslizard on 31 Oct 2012, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

31 Oct 2012, 8:22 pm

I knew it you guys. As soon as a n***a moves back in town cops start harrasing me again, The cops in this town are the worst ones in the country. One killed a dog here and didnt even get in trouble about it, Of course this means war though. Now when a pig wants to bother me for no good reason I'm just gonna,

*after the fact* tell the cops I have a hidden camera in my hat And I'll be going to the media

:lol:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 9:18 pm

Yep, some of them are sociopaths.
Yep, some belong in prison or at least off the force.
Most all of the ones I've dealt with or known were decent, professional, and fair minded and I think that's the case for most of them but there is that rotten minority that drags all of them down.
It's not an easy job and there's a lot they have to deal with that we don't see that sometimes that clouds their judgment.
Scariest thing with them is that they tend to stick together right or wrong with a "them against us" mentality.
As a society we'd be worse off without them, though, because they do help keep the wolves at bay more than you think.
They are a necessity of society. Period.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 4:02 am

Oodain wrote:
GGPViper wrote:

depends on where and what is at stake,

policemen at the climate summit was hated by reporters and activists alike while the local cop giving you a fine for speeding is generally well liked despite the personal implication of a speeding ticket.

that said most cops are fairly rational with regards to their jobs and most i have met use personal discretion in a very competent way.

Reporters are pretty much universally loathed in Denmark, alongside politicians, so I doubt their views of the police force has any significant impact on the population as a whole. In the general Danish population, the respect for police officers is almost at the top and close to that of doctors.

And IMO, the activists complaining about the actions of the police at the COP15 climate conference were a bunch of self-absorbed whiners who couldn't grasp the fact that the police force of a tiny country was stretched beyond capacity dealing with the largest international event in modern Danish history.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 4:52 am

yet in court the police lost almost every case that day and it cost us quite a sum of money, as for reporters and journalists, what makes it relevant is that the police indiscriminately went directly for the reporters, with a few injured as a result.

it werent just activists and reporters, it is law today that says the policemen were wrong.

and i agree that most people respect the police(to a lesser extent the law), just that that respect depends on the situation, we have plenty of laws that a majority find useless and disruptive,
which is why we are lucky that most police officers have the common sense not to focus on those laws, that however is individual and you will find singular cops that enrage large parts of a local population.

here in fredericia there was a cop that used the then new search laws to arrest people for carrying a stanley knife to and from work, he also tried fining several people for jaywalking, yet in practicality you have to endanger yourself or others before he can.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

FreePerson
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Nov 2012, 10:36 am

The War on Marijuana has basically accomplished nothing but erode the rights of citizens and waste money that the government does not really have.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 4:30 pm

There are quite a few cops who are for legalization,it wastes their time while they could be going after real criminals.Go after meth and leave the stoners alone.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 5:50 pm

Just legalize weed open up more 24 hour donut shops and the cops will probably be nicer.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 5:55 pm

If weed was legalized that would be the end of any possible crime I could commit. I'd just tootle down the street smiling at cops and saying "Bust those pedophiles, boys. I'm proud of ya."

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 8:44 am

^^^. Amen to that.