Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Greeny
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2013, 2:00 pm

Is there any other affected by AS that has trouble completely understanding their own interest in politics. Whether that's deciding a final opinion on issues, discussing with friends and family, I have a hard time being navigated.

Both my mom and dad disagree with my views to different extents. My dad is more to the right side of issues than my mom even, but he seems like he wants to rely on cliches, while his arguments have some truth though. It's actually kind of sad, though. My mom is a bit on the right of issues too, but on social issues she seems to be just one of those "concerned parents".

While I can relate to her feeling the way she does about social issues (like media censorship) I disagree with her still.

Who else has these problems?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 3:38 pm

Greeny wrote:
Is there any other affected by AS that has trouble completely understanding their own interest in politics. Whether that's deciding a final opinion on issues, discussing with friends and family, I have a hard time being navigated.

Both my mom and dad disagree with my views to different extents. My dad is more to the right side of issues than my mom even, but he seems like he wants to rely on cliches, while his arguments have some truth though. It's actually kind of sad, though. My mom is a bit on the right of issues too, but on social issues she seems to be just one of those "concerned parents".

While I can relate to her feeling the way she does about social issues (like media censorship) I disagree with her still.

I have trouble discussing politics too. American politics cause me to have nausea.

ruveyn

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 5:13 pm

Greeny wrote:

Pretty much everyone. It's not an AS thing at all, it's a fact that people have different thoughts on things, and politics is one of the big two areas where people will fight pretty much to the end on the subject.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2013, 2:48 pm

for some reason I am the only leftie in my family. I put it down in part to Asperger's.

My deviant art profile

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2013, 3:02 pm

Greeny wrote:

I have little problem understanding my current position on political issues. However, as most people deal with key issues (religion and politics) from an emotional standpoint, it's generally hard (if not impossible) to have a reasoned discussion with any conclusion in these areas.

That's why much of polite society does not go into these areas of discussion.

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2013, 6:03 pm

I've always had difficulty settling my mind on issues. I can see the value of both sides, so drawing a line in the sand and declaring something absolutely true seems utterly stupid to me. To many, it looks like I flip flop, but mostly that's because I'm weighing both sides. There's few things that are cut and dry enough for me to unilaterally support or oppose.

Increasingly, however, I'm just trying not to think about it. It's in vogue to discuss politics ad nauseum in our culture, especially on the web. It gets on my nerves a bit. I'm just trying to focus on myself these days.

uwmonkdm
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 12:25 am

Most people you talk to don't understand a damn thing about politics other than the fancy words they hear on the television anyway, don't worry about it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 3:59 am

I never had any problem discussing politics. I grew up in a politically active household, and the subject has always been a source of fascination, enjoyment, and red rage.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 1:07 pm

Its like religion- folks get passionate about it.

For that reason it is tempting to opt out of thinking about politics at all because of how ugly folks can get about it. But we live in a democracy- so being concerned with what is beyond the horizon and how the country should be run is part of the deal.

Dont know your age, but I get the impression that you're still young and have plenty of time to figure out your own beliefs -which may or may not resemble those of your parents. So dont worry about it. Just take your time and read up and think about it.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 1:10 pm

You're not alone. I only developed my political beliefs fairly recently and still have a long way to go to become politically fluent. I get a feeling this is linked to my Asperger's as well.

One thing I'm still crap at is economics and finances.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

04 Jun 2013, 3:36 pm

Talking politics is easy, I think that's one of the reasons it interests me. It's something universal and we all have our beliefs and opinions on current events, you can talk to almost anyone about it. I'm a big sports fan as well, I think that talkability played a big part of why I became interested in that too. Aspie obsessiveness however does tend to make it hard to have 2 way conversations with people on those subjects but I enjoy the ones I do have.

PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 3:50 pm

If you have trouble talking about politics, then why are you in this section?

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 4:46 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:
I've always had difficulty settling my mind on issues. I can see the value of both sides, so drawing a line in the sand and declaring something absolutely true seems utterly stupid to me.

That's because it IS utterly stupid. The scientific method is the complete opposite approach - a hypothesis requires you to assume it might not be true so that you can attempt to disprove it. It's based on evidence, not belief, and evidence may not always be available. Politics has to be dogmatic, because the greatest sin in political circles is to change your mind and you're a better candidate for election if you're wrong than if you're uncertain!

Religion and politics are essentially the same thing - a dogmatic belief in something unproven, and often wrong. Assume anyone with deep political beliefs is mentally ill and treat them accordingly. It'll make your life a lot easier. Having an interest in politics in general and how it all works is an entirely different matter.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 7:16 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I never had any problem discussing politics. I grew up in a politically active household, and the subject has always been a source of fascination, enjoyment, and red rage.

Politics, in America, has become an Abomination.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 10:05 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Politics, in America, has become an Abomination.

ruveyn

No disagreement here. That doesn't make it any less interesting, though.

RenegadeRaven
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2013, 10:15 pm

There is so much deceit and misinformation in politics that it can be very confusing at times for me to understand certain topics. Plus with many debates, emotions are sky-high and it can get ugly.

I almost never watch any news channels because of this (especially FOX) and rely my source of information on the internet. The internet has its flaws as well but at least the internet provides more sources than cable TV does. I also get to avoid the shouting, another plus for me.

I just want the facts without all the bias.