Page 2 of 7 [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 4:13 am

1000Knives wrote:
I'm Eastern Orthodox. Crappy performing Christian I guess, but I still am one. I wonder of my salvation, too. "Only a few find it" after all.

"Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner." seems the best we can do. I used to have grandiose ideas about my religious life, how I'd be able to preach the Gospel to the world, but unfortunately my own life is in shambles and sucks. I do not know how I can help repair other's souls if my own needs repair. Oh well.

I often am greatly upset at the primitive knowledge of the bible that religious christians and jews have, and I often feel like giving up, its useless, Christianity will morph totally into a secular subset of leftism, and become as irrelevant in American life as Judaism has become in Jewish life. But I also find an old line in Judaism humbling: "It is not up to you to finish the task, nor are you free to desist from trying."

The understanding being that Abraham and Jacob have amazing spotlights in the bible, they are fleshed out in full, and we know so much about their character, why God loved them, and ultimately chose them to be the founders of the faith. We know so little of Isaac, there isn't much in there about him. But if the Isaac's of the world don't do their part, it makes no difference what an Abraham did, or what a Jacob could do, it's all thrown to waste when there's a break in the chain because someone feels irrelevant.

I believe that in full, and its what keeps me going. There is a role for everyone to play in making this world a better place, and we all have to do what we can. You might not be in the mood to donate an extra 20 dollars towards a church fundraiser to feed and clothe the homeless, but even if your heart isn't in it, that 20 dollars will still be a blessing in the life of another person. It's the little things in life that matter most, even if you don't see it reciprocated, from holding the door for someone or moving so that the elderly may have a seat, you've still made someone else's day that much better. I hope that helps.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 4:44 am

Plodder wrote:

8< - - -

Actually, that is not all it takes. That is not what the Bible says on the subject of how to be a Christian. The things you are quoting from are taken from some man-made crede or confessional of some kind. They are not God's instructions on how to be a Christian. The Bible does not say that if you believe in the existence of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, then you are a Christian. On the contrary. The Bible says that devils believe in God as well - and devils are certainly not Christians, are they?

8< - - -

sorry i got tempted to write something…

Quote:
That is not what the Bible says on the subject of how to be a Christian.

the bible is manmade...

Quote:
They are not God's instructions on how to be a Christian.

the instructions were manmade in a manmade bible…

Quote:
The Bible does not say that if you believe in the existence of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, then you are a Christian.

the father, the son and the holy ghost are manmade concepts to solve a problem in a manmade bible…

Quote:
The Bible says that devils believe in God as well - and devils are certainly not Christians, are they?

devils are a manmade concept, mentioned in a manmade book called the bible, telling stories about other manmade concepts…

no matter how hard anybody tries to believe that the book is the truth… it still is a matter of belief, just like santa, unicorns, spaghettimonsters and so on.

please do not take it all seriously; religions do harm human beings. a lot.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 6:06 am

MarketAndChurch wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
I'm Eastern Orthodox. Crappy performing Christian I guess, but I still am one. I wonder of my salvation, too. "Only a few find it" after all.

"Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner." seems the best we can do. I used to have grandiose ideas about my religious life, how I'd be able to preach the Gospel to the world, but unfortunately my own life is in shambles and sucks. I do not know how I can help repair other's souls if my own needs repair. Oh well.

I often am greatly upset at the primitive knowledge of the bible that religious christians and jews have, and I often feel like giving up, its useless, Christianity will morph totally into a secular subset of leftism, and become as irrelevant in American life as Judaism has become in Jewish life. But I also find an old line in Judaism humbling: "It is not up to you to finish the task, nor are you free to desist from trying."

The understanding being that Abraham and Jacob have amazing spotlights in the bible, they are fleshed out in full, and we know so much about their character, why God loved them, and ultimately chose them to be the founders of the faith. We know so little of Isaac, there isn't much in there about him. But if the Isaac's of the world don't do their part, it makes no difference what an Abraham did, or what a Jacob could do, it's all thrown to waste when there's a break in the chain because someone feels irrelevant.

I believe that in full, and its what keeps me going. There is a role for everyone to play in making this world a better place, and we all have to do what we can. You might not be in the mood to donate an extra 20 dollars towards a church fundraiser to feed and clothe the homeless, but even if your heart isn't in it, that 20 dollars will still be a blessing in the life of another person. It's the little things in life that matter most, even if you don't see it reciprocated, from holding the door for someone or moving so that the elderly may have a seat, you've still made someone else's day that much better. I hope that helps.

My family and I have been recipients of the charity and Christian love of our church.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Plodder
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 8:46 am

aspi-rant wrote:

the bible is manmade...

the father, the son and the holy ghost are manmade concepts to solve a problem in a manmade bible…

devils are a manmade concept, mentioned in a manmade book called the bible, telling stories about other manmade concepts…

Those are your opinions. They are not fact. You are allowed to have opinions and beliefs about Christianity, but you are not allowed to prevent Christians from believing that the Bible is God's Word. In some countries there still remains freedom of religion. Freedom of religion means you don't have to believe in Christ - but I don't have to stop believing in him, either.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 9:02 am

Plodder wrote:
aspi-rant wrote:

the bible is manmade...

Those are your opinions. They are not fact. You are allowed to have opinions and beliefs about Christianity, but you are not allowed to prevent Christians from believing that the Bible is God's Word. In some countries there still remains freedom of religion. Freedom of religion means you don't have to believe in Christ - but I don't have to stop believing in him, either.

no, these are not my opinions; they are exactly what they are: facts.

you are free to belief whatever you like. and even enjoy it! if you belief that the men who wrote the bible, were writing something that was dictated to them by a god, santa, a unicorn or a spaghetti monster, that's fine.

i have no problem with that.

but i have a problem with the simple fact that religious people often are denying the facts that whatever they state about their religion as being facts, they only have manmade evidence to show… and that their religions therefore solely are based on faith. not facts.

Plodder
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 9:09 am

aspi-rant wrote:
no, these are not my opinions; they are exactly what they are: facts..

You are mistaken. Like I said, they are your opinions. You do not have (and never will have) any evidence to prove that the Bible is not the Word of God. Therefore, your opinions about it are just that: opinions.

It's OK to have an opinion, and it's OK to politely disagree, but it's not OK to go around hotly declaring that your opinion is fact, when you lack the evidence to prove it to be so.

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 9:26 am

MarketAndChurch wrote:

I think religion should be a way of inspiring us to be better people too.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 9:57 am

Plodder wrote:
aspi-rant wrote:
no, these are not my opinions; they are exactly what they are: facts..

You are mistaken. Like I said, they are your opinions. You do not have (and never will have) any evidence to prove that the Bible is not the Word of God. Therefore, your opinions about it are just that: opinions.

It's OK to have an opinion, and it's OK to politely disagree, but it's not OK to go around hotly declaring that your opinion is fact, when you lack the evidence to prove it to be so.

to my knowledge, the burden of proof is upon the person stating the unproven… not the other way round

it is you who state it is a fact that it is the word of god. i do not agree with this, and give you facts that do not support your claim.

i simply state that the bible is written by human hands… and i state that the trinity was a manmade concept derived at the council nicea in 325 C.E. "with the purpose of defining the true god for all of christianity and eliminating all the confusion, controversy, and contention within christ’s church".

furthermore, the concepts described by human hands in the bible (and all other religious writings alike) rely all on a matter of faith as to who conceived them. the writings are so full of errors, discrepancies and contradictions, that it is rather obvious they are manmade over a very long time, and no single source or identified original is known.

all of my statements are absolute indisputable facts. no scholar will ever doubt this. not one.

with that said… you are free to belief whatever you want. but do not state your beliefs as being facts; that requires proof beyond any doubt.

Plodder
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 10:09 am

aspi-rant wrote:
you are free to belief whatever you want. but do not state your beliefs as being facts; that requires proof beyond any doubt.

I have proof beyond any doubt. You apparently do not. That is not my fault. Faith is an individual thing. If God has not revealed himself to you, you do not know the Bible is fact. That is a very great shame.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 10:17 am

Quote:
Is this the forum are there any Christians.

my name is not christian, so i do not know.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 10:23 am

Plodder wrote:
aspi-rant wrote:
you are free to belief whatever you want. but do not state your beliefs as being facts; that requires proof beyond any doubt.

I have proof beyond any doubt. You apparently do not. That is not my fault. Faith is an individual thing. If God has not revealed himself to you, you do not know the Bible is fact. That is a very great shame.

i rest my case.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 5:30 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:
1000Knives wrote:

My family and I have been recipients of the charity and Christian love of our church.

They are good people, and represents an America that is passing away, one that Neocon Bill Buckley spoke passionately about prior to passing away. I don't remember if it was techstepgenr8tion or 91 who commented on the huge social loss we've faced as churches have died or become irrelevant in modern life, but they promoted a sense of community that is largely absent in 2012.

Liberal columnist E.J. Dionne makes this case:

Quote:
The great American conservative William F. Buckley Jr. certainly understood this. In his book “Gratitude: Reflections on What We Owe to Our Country,” he quotes approvingly John Stuart Mill’s insistence that “everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit.” With liberty comes responsibility to the community.

Before the Civil War, conservatives such as Alexander Hamilton and Henry Clay believed in an active federal government that served the common good. This included a commitment to internal improvements (what we now call infrastructure), public schooling, and the encouragement of manufacturing and science. Clay, an unapologetic supporter of national economic planning, called his program “the American System,” explicitly distinguishing his idea from the British laissez-faire system. (The Club for Growth would not have been pleased.)
Abraham Lincoln, for whom Clay was a hero, built upon this tradition, laying the foundation for our public universities by backing the establishment of land-grant colleges.

And the Church was very often the center of this. Efforts to raise money to help out schools, efforts to feed the poor or help out those who have fallen on hard times, you name it, the church was at the forefront of providing aid to those who needed it, and, fostering a sense of community that we now have lost with our fenced in communities.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 6:40 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:
1000Knives wrote:

They are good people, and represents an America that is passing away, one that Neocon Bill Buckley spoke passionately about prior to passing away. I don't remember if it was techstepgenr8tion or 91 who commented on the huge social loss we've faced as churches have died or become irrelevant in modern life, but they promoted a sense of community that is largely absent in 2012.

Quote:
The great American conservative William F. Buckley Jr. certainly understood this. In his book “Gratitude: Reflections on What We Owe to Our Country,” he quotes approvingly John Stuart Mill’s insistence that “everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit.” With liberty comes responsibility to the community.

Before the Civil War, conservatives such as Alexander Hamilton and Henry Clay believed in an active federal government that served the common good. This included a commitment to internal improvements (what we now call infrastructure), public schooling, and the encouragement of manufacturing and science. Clay, an unapologetic supporter of national economic planning, called his program “the American System,” explicitly distinguishing his idea from the British laissez-faire system. (The Club for Growth would not have been pleased.)
Abraham Lincoln, for whom Clay was a hero, built upon this tradition, laying the foundation for our public universities by backing the establishment of land-grant colleges.

And the Church was very often the center of this. Efforts to raise money to help out schools, efforts to feed the poor or help out those who have fallen on hard times, you name it, the church was at the forefront of providing aid to those who needed it, and, fostering a sense of community that we now have lost with our fenced in communities.

Holy s**t! That means the conservatives of old would probably vote Democrat today!

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 7:57 pm

Fnord wrote:
There are Christians of various religions here, and many seem to take their religions a little too seriously, if you ask me...

See what I mean?

:lol:[/quote]

Saw that coming. :lol:

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 8:34 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:
1000Knives wrote:

Quote:

Holy sh**! That means the conservatives of old would probably vote Democrat today!

The founders of libertarian thought knew that a moral and ethical code was essential in a free civil society. Something modern Randians have forgotten.

Edmund Burke-
Quote:
"What is liberty without wisdom and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint."
"Men are qualified for civil liberty in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains upon their appetites; in proportion as their love of justice is above their rapacity; in proportion as their soundness and sobriety of understanding is above their vanity and presumption; in proportion as they are more disposed to listen to the counsel of the wise and good, in preference to the flattery of knaves. Society cannot exist unless a controlling power upon will and appetite be placed somewhere, and the less of it there is within, the more there must be without. It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters."

Middle class Christian women were a driving force of the Progressive Era...

http://www.nwhm.org/online-exhibits/pro ... ssive.html
Quote:
At the end of the nineteenth century, women were considered the "moral guardians" and protectors of the home. During the Progressive Era, female reformers used this ideology to argue that in order to protect the home, women should move into the public sphere where they could exercise their moral authority over issues such as public sanitation and education, which ultimately affected the home. In massive numbers, women joined volunteer organizations to work for reform. Efforts often began at the local level, and expanded to the state and national level. Women conducted research, implemented programs, and lobbied for legislation to address social, political, and economic problems.

Middle-class clubwomen and settlement workers organized to address issues of education, healthcare, and political corruption. Working women organized on their own and in partnership with middle-class women to raise wages and improve working conditions. African American women organized to combat racism and provide mutual support. Together, their efforts led to real improvements in the lives of many Americans.

johansen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Nov 2012, 10:08 pm

Christianity in America is not only corrupted, it has corrupted the whole world.

Being a Christian is not something you believe, it is something you are, something you practice, and you are judged by your works.
(salvation is by faith, but that's where most everyone stops.)
Works is when you ask God what to do, and then you go do it.

To repent means to cry out against evil. It is an active thing. You cannot isolate yourself, come to know God and wait for a rapture lol.
But to each his own. When you cry out to God in desperation asking "What do you want me to do?!" you'll get an answer real quick, for everyone the path is different, but it is hard, and you will get kicked out of your own family once you put your hand to the plow. (it gets easier through)

God gave me Luke 16:16 ('and everyone forces his way into it') the other day in the ESV translation as an explanation of how we have all these lukewarm and dumb onto death Christians who have plenty of proof they have had their prayers answered, but they believe some strange things, and pray for good jobs and nice things.

Basically there is only one thing you need to do.. and that is ask God what to do... and He'll give you an answer through the Bible most of the time.
If you find yourself being attacked by Satan, rebuke him in the name of Jesus. he'll go away.
to blaspheme the Holy Spirit is to deny the power.. those voices in your head are not you, they are satan.
Due to the bleak outlook of the usa, it may take you some time to passively find other genuine Christians who have received the Holy Ghost and have not fallen asleep or away. Pray and ask God to send someone your way.

now regarding the Holy Spirit.. there are 3 or 4 baptisms depending on how you count the number.
(btw, everytime i type something about the Holy Ghost, the light bulbs in my room (filament bulbs btw) dim or flicker a touch)
so all i can say is a wise man contemplates eternity....

We are to confess sins to one another, and if you feel you need to do something, just do it.

https://heavenawaits.wordpress.com/ is most excellent by the way.