Page 4 of 7 [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Dec 2012, 2:20 pm

Utnapishtim wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
Gun laws do not prevent people from having guns. When I lived in the DC metro area for close to a year with my husband, he told me that guns were illegal there. I still brought the .357 I had with me and carried it in my purse. I had a permit in Alabama, and carried legally down here, but up there it was a crime. I carried it anyway. I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

True point, I live in the UK and we have strong gun control laws which do bugger all about access to illegal firearms.

That's why guns cause 9% of deaths in America, compared to 0.22% here :|

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 2:27 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Gun control won't stop this,also on the news on CNN,bottom caption reads 22 children injured in stabbing in China.

Time to outlaw knives and scissors.

ruveyn

I like that whenever there is a shooting. The gun advocates seem to be the most worried about the event. As if they are more concerned about the tragedy of them losing their guns.

Here's something about knives, at least children would get to escape. How many children were in that school in China? I am guessing not 22. And maybe I am too pragmatic, but 22 injured children vs. ~20 dead children is incomparable.

Sure, killers will always exist . But forgive me for thinking that guns make them more effective at killing...

Last edited by Vexcalibur on 14 Dec 2012, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 2:43 pm

its now 27 dead in connecticut.18 are children.the shooter was a parent

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 2:46 pm

Raptor wrote:
mds_02 wrote:
Nice. Hear of a shooting and the first things anyone thinks to say is "oh crap, they're gonna try to take my guns." As it happens, I support the second amendment. But when this is the pro-gun side's first reaction to a shooting, is it any wonder that the anti-gun folks see them as a bunch of nuts who care more about their weapons than about, y'know, their fellow human beings?

It's the fact that every time there's a shooting the cry goes out for more gun control. And I for one am not interested in what the antis think of me.

You support a position that enables people to massacre children. Forget what the "antis" think of you, how about what your god will think of you when its time to judge?

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 2:50 pm

John_Browning wrote:
mds_02 wrote:
Nice. Hear of a shooting and the first things anyone thinks to say is "oh crap, they're gonna try to take my guns." As it happens, I support the second amendment. But when this is the pro-gun side's first reaction to a shooting, is it any wonder that the anti-gun folks see them as a bunch of nuts who care more about their weapons than about, y'know, their fellow human beings?

It's not due to a lack of sympathy. As usual, the usual suspects start screaming for more of the same laws that don't work (they did this right on queue), and then it becomes my problem. Most people want to show some respect, but the gun control/confiscation talking points to seize on the tragedy start even before the spent brass cartridges have time to cool to ambient temperature, and they reject other contributing factors that take time to work out.

What other contributing factors might be relevant when the situation here is that a man went into a school and shot up the place, killing 10 children and a bunch of other innocent folks. If we have gun control, we might actually prevent loonies like this guy from carrying out this type of act. The argument against gun control seems to be that if only everyone was armed, this type of thing could be prevented (not sure how if the perpetrator is willing to die) or at least reduced in severity - but that presumes that he'd be shot by other gun-carrying citizens before he could do much damage, which sounds nice in theory but in reality amounts to advocating shootouts in the presence of innocent bystanders, in settings such as elementary schools.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 3:22 pm

ScrewyWabbit wrote:

What other contributing factors might be relevant when the situation here is that a man went into a school and shot up the place, killing 10 children and a bunch of other innocent folks. If we have gun control, we might actually prevent loonies like this guy from carrying out this type of act. The argument against gun control seems to be that if only everyone was armed, this type of thing could be prevented (not sure how if the perpetrator is willing to die) or at least reduced in severity - but that presumes that he'd be shot by other gun-carrying citizens before he could do much damage, which sounds nice in theory but in reality amounts to advocating shootouts in the presence of innocent bystanders, in settings such as elementary schools.

Have you read this?
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/Man ... n-in-China

A man slashed 22 children in China.

What is your opinion of knife control?

ruveyn

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 3:25 pm

Edited because I hit the reply button too soon.

Last edited by Misslizard on 14 Dec 2012, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NAKnight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2012, 3:28 pm

Guns don't kill people, insane sociopaths kill people.

While this may be another instance where the left wing will propagate "Gun Control" it still does not change the fact people were viciously killed.
All in all, Some people are sadistic. You cannot fix those people. Removing "Guns" from the citizens or regulating it more isn't going to fix the problem, it's only going to make it worse.

It is a tragedy, the dude who killed those children should be rightfully judged.

Best Regards,

Jake

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 3:31 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Gun control won't stop this,also on the news on CNN,bottom caption reads 22 children injured in stabbing in China.

Time to outlaw knives and scissors.

ruveyn

I like that whenever there is a shooting. The gun advocates seem to be the most worried about the event. As if they are more concerned about the tragedy of them losing their guns.

Here's something about knives, at least children would get to escape. How many children were in that school in China? I am guessing not 22. And maybe I am too pragmatic, but 22 injured children vs. ~20 dead children is incomparable.

Sure, killers will always exist . But forgive me for thinking that guns make them more
effective at killing...

On another thread my question is not keeping guns but why so many attacks,with or without guns.What is the motivation these people have,no school shootings when I was a kid and guns were even more available.What is different now?And why would any one shoot a kid??
That's the issue to me.
Yes I have a gun,there are rabid skunks here and tweakers. I'm not taking on either with a stick or knife.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 3:54 pm

PM wrote:
UnLoser wrote:
PM wrote:
I'll give it....6 hours before I hear a politician say the term "Assualt Weapons Ban".

Question: why do we need "assault weapons"? What place does assaulting have in civilized society? Why can't we just have weak handguns?

The term "Assault Weapon" is used as a scare tactic to refer to any weapon that is a threat to the power of the politicians. In other words, anything that discharges an explosive projectile. "Assault" when referring to a weapon is simply military terminology. "Need" matters not, it's more or less an issue of personal liberty. The argument of the pro-gun lobby is if you want a certain type of weapon, you should be able to have it.

While I agree with you that the term "assault weapon" is a scare tactic, gun advocates use similar tactics - instead of publicly arguing about "personal liberty", they argue that guns are needed for self-defense and for sporting / hunting. And this is where they fall apart, because against animals even a semi-automatic weapon is by any reasonable measure complete overkill, and the only threats that justify needing some of these weapons for self-defense are if the people you might be defending yourselves from have similar weapons.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 4:02 pm

John_Browning wrote:
UnLoser wrote:
PM wrote:
I'll give it....6 hours before I hear a politician say the term "Assualt Weapons Ban".

Question: why do we need "assault weapons"? What place does assaulting have in civilized society? Why can't we just have weak handguns?

"Assault weapon" is a political term, and the notion that you assault people with it is propaganda aimed at very simple minds that was repeated until many no longer questioned it. There is no special feature that can define them, and there isn't a single design that can't be used for hunting, recreation, or personal defense. Instead, it is assumed that if you have enough [largely] cosmetic features from a list on a gun, that somehow that makes it bad. For example: in California, the legislature banned (but did not confiscate) the AR-15 a long time ago. But after a court battle that created a loophole, there are now dozens of parts and different configurations that can make the AR-15 legal to buy, build, and own here again and the legislature is having trouble figuring out how to ban this since these ARs do the same thing as the rifles that were never banned. The bullets are the same too-all bullets "assault weapons" shoot are useable in any type of rifle and the bullet designs available for them are found in almost all other rifle calibers. The bullets most designs shoot are significantly less powerful than the most common deer hunting calibers (but still can be used either for deer or smaller game), and in many cases will even break up in home walls easier than most handgun bullets.

Oh, and some of those "weak" handguns are more powerful than "assault" rifles.

I think the question is, that if we want to continue to make guns legal, what can we do to have some guns legal but try to prevent incidents like today's? It seems to me that while you are correct about the similar capabilities of guns that look like "assault" weapons with those that don't, I tend to think that the type of dillusions that lead to incident's like today's are often centered around a "Rambo" complex that some of these guys have, where they picture themselves gloriously dying with a big bad military weapon in hand. Maybe if such things weren't available to them, it might help to prevent this stuff, just a little. Also, while being mostly a layman about guns, I do agree with you about the capabilities of various models, as I've said, but then i wonder why there is a certain "style" or appearance to military weapons if other styles would suffice for the military - if not, there must be some material difference.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 4:07 pm

ScrewyWabbit wrote:
PM wrote:
UnLoser wrote:
PM wrote:

The term "Assault Weapon" is used as a scare tactic to refer to any weapon that is a threat to the power of the politicians. In other words, anything that discharges an explosive projectile. "Assault" when referring to a weapon is simply military terminology. "Need" matters not, it's more or less an issue of personal liberty. The argument of the pro-gun lobby is if you want a certain type of weapon, you should be able to have it.

While I agree with you that the term "assault weapon" is a scare tactic, gun advocates use similar tactics - instead of publicly arguing about "personal liberty", they argue that guns are needed for self-defense and for sporting / hunting. And this is where they fall apart, because against animals even a semi-automatic weapon is by any reasonable measure complete overkill, and the only threats that justify needing some of these weapons for self-defense are if the people you might be defending yourselves from have similar weapons.

I disagree with the pro-lobby ignoring personal liberty, and I stay with the personal liberty argument as I am simply a collector that shoots paper. However, you do have the right to self-defense against any threat. As for hunting, I have no desire to kill anything that is not trying to kill me.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 4:12 pm

ruveyn wrote:
ScrewyWabbit wrote:

Have you read this?
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/Man ... n-in-China

A man slashed 22 children in China.

What is your opinion of knife control?

ruveyn

My opinion of knife control is that knives are fundamentally less likely to be the sole weapon used in a single mass murder event than guns are. Once you know someone has a knife, in most circumstances you're much more likely to prevent them from harming you than you are against someone who has a firearm. That, plus knives actually have many justifiable uses outside of violence, which cannot be said of guns. of course, when you transition from something like a kitchen knife to a broadsword, then its more of a gray area.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 4:20 pm

PM wrote:
ScrewyWabbit wrote:
PM wrote:
UnLoser wrote:
PM wrote:

I disagree with the pro-lobby ignoring personal liberty, and I stay with the personal liberty argument as I am simply a collector that shoots paper. However, you do have the right to self-defense against any threat. As for hunting, I have no desire to kill anything that is not trying to kill me.

I agree, you do have the right to self-defense against any threat. If you are in immediate danger of deadly force being used against you, you can pre-empt that with deadly force of your own. I've got no problem with that. On the other hand, if you aren't in any immediate danger but wish to prepare yourself against some threat that might materialize in the future, I think that there must be some sort of reasonable belief that there's a likelihood that such a threat might actually materialize. Also, while I believe in proportionate use of force, at some point there's no point going beyond "mere" deadly force. Do you need to "outgun" someone when your gun can kill them just as easily as their gun can kill you? So I'm not sure why people seem to feel the need to equip themselves with machine guns and other forms of extreme heavy weaponry. Especially when, if we actually had real gun control laws, it would reduce the likelihood of all these perceived threats.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 4:26 pm

Ahem.

Perhaps people should be paying attention to the f*****g NEWS right now...

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

14 Dec 2012, 4:51 pm

Bodies aren't even cold and we already have the vultures out to pick the bones dry to push their own ideological agenda. I don't even want to read or listen to it right now, it's so tired and pathetic.

Obama tearing up is interesting. Does he tear up when he bombs a schoolhouse in Pakistan?