Second Irish council allows drink-driving on its roads!

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 10:31 am

Tequila wrote:
What did you end up buying then, Misslizard?

Their Imported beer selection leaves a lot to be desired,I just went with a 12 pack of Guinness,I think once they see I'm a regular maybe I can get them to do some special orders.I'd really like to have a McEwans.There has to be a distributor locally,they had them in St.Louis , that IS a beer town.Got snookered there at a Scotch Festival,local brewery Schaflies had their Scotch ale and plenty of it.Beer and lots of nice looking men in kilts,now that's the way to spend a day.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 10:40 am

Misslizard wrote:
Their Imported beer selection leaves a lot to be desired,I just went with a 12 pack of Guinness,

I'll drink a bottle of Hawkshead Brodie's Prime (4.9%) for you.

And yes, Guinness - the regular one - really is a rather dull and homogenised beer these days. The Irish and Nigerian versions of FES are much better though.

I think once they see I'm a regular maybe I can get them to do some special orders.

Misslizard wrote:
I'd really like to have a McEwans.

McEwan's Champion (7.4%) is quite readily available here, and sometimes it's fairly cheap too.

What state do you live in?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 10:53 am

^^^^^^Arkansas.In some places you can drive 60 or 70 miles and it's all dry.
It's strange because we sure do have lots of drinkers.
One county was wet but when all the men went off to fight in WW2 the ladies voted the county dry,that seems sort of rude to me.Wouldn't a returning soldier deserve a beer?That's the county that just went back wet.Realized how much tourist dollars they were losing.
I posted a song by a local band in the PPR songs thread about dry counties,the people on the vid look pretty buzzed.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 10:57 am

Is Little Rock anywhere near you?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 12:01 pm

^^^^^Three hours south,I lived there part of my childhood.I'm close to the Missouri border but also lived on the Lousiana border.100% humidity and 100 degrees and BIG mosquitoes down there.
I like the Ozarks where I live,better climate.
Google Jasper Arkansas,its a seasonal tourist town.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 1:48 pm

I take it you know about the 4 Hands and Boulevard breweries?

TBH, with the U.S. being so sparsely populated - you look like you live in the middle of nowhere! - I'm amazed that mail-order beer doesn't take off an awful lot more. I mean, I've ordered the odd crate of craft beers that I can't get locally, but for people like you it sounds as though it would be more or less a necessity.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 2:04 pm

Misslizard wrote:
^^^^^^Arkansas.In some places you can drive 60 or 70 miles and it's all dry.
It's strange because we sure do have lots of drinkers.
One county was wet but when all the men went off to fight in WW2 the ladies voted the county dry,that seems sort of rude to me.Wouldn't a returning soldier deserve a beer?That's the county that just went back wet.Realized how much tourist dollars they were losing.
I posted a song by a local band in the PPR songs thread about dry counties,the people on the vid look pretty buzzed.

I only recently learned there were dry places in the US. I saw some Alaska town on tv where people were actually smuggling in drinks. These people should take a cue from the Russians; whenever it's freezing people need a drink to keep warm. Whenever there's snow outside I take a stiff drink before walking or riding a bicycle outside.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_county

That map on wikipedia shows it's more of a regional problem. Eastern US and bible belt?

Last edited by trollcatman on 25 Jan 2013, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 2:06 pm

trollcatman wrote:
I only recently learned there were dry places in the US. I saw some Alaska town on tv where people were actually smuggling in drinks. These people should take a cue from the Russians; whenever it's freezing people need a drink to keep warm. Whenever there's snow outside I take a stiff drink before walking or riding a bicycle outside.

I'm surprised they're not making aqvavit en masse or something similar.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 2:23 pm

Tequila wrote:
trollcatman wrote:

I'm surprised they're not making aqvavit en masse or something similar.

Yes, it's not that hard to make vodka or something similar. In eastern Europe quite a few people brew there own booze from plums, slivovic. Some friends of mine brew their own beer, which seems a bit harder.

I think we need an Alcohol Appreciation Topic! When you look at a map of alcohol consumption per capita (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ountry.png) it seems the wealthiest places with high standard of living correlate with high alcohol consumption. I don't believe that correlation is causality, but in this case I'm willing to suspend disbelief.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 2:38 pm

Tequila wrote:
I take it you know about the 4 Hands and Boulevard breweries?

TBH, with the U.S. being so sparsely populated - you look like you live in the middle of nowhere! - I'm amazed that mail-order beer doesn't take off an awful lot more. I mean, I've ordered the odd crate of craft beers that I can't get locally, but for people like you it sounds as though it would be more or less a necessity.

Heard and drank Boulevard but not 4 Hands.Diamond Bear in L.R. But I wasn't impressed.
Mother's in Sprinfeild Mo,haven't tried....yet.
The BEST was Free State in Lawrence,Ks, a award winning ale,Copperhead.
They also won an award for their Barley wine,but I don't know to much about that type.
Really good place to hang out,great food,booze,music and great folks.The bar keep even gave me a free beer when I told him my dog just got ran over,helped with the pain.
If you have the jack most folks stock up at the package store.
And there are some great home brewers here.
It's three hours drive to any large city,my county has only around 7,000 people.Most sparsely pop in the state,about 800 at most in the county seat.Not one stoplight.It's also the largest county because of the hilly terrain.No gas anywhere after 9:00,You'll have to drive 20 miles from the county seat,head towards Russellville and it's 60 miles.