Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

J-Greens
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 6:00 pm

Looks a like a bit of rushed report from the good people at Sky News, received while I was at work:

A 14-year-old is shot in the head and a teacher is also hurt in another gun attack - thought to be by a pupil - at a US school.

A suspect is in custody after a student was shot in the head at a middle school in Atlanta.

The 14-year-old victim was reportedly "alert, conscious and breathing" when taken to hospital for treatment.

One person - thought to be a male student - has been arrested after the shooting, which happened just outside the school building.

A teacher also suffered minor cuts and bruises and was treated at the scene, according to Atlanta Fire Captain Marian McDaniel.

Atlanta Public Schools officials confirmed that there had been a shooting at Price Middle School.

The school was reportedly put on lockdown.

The shooting is the latest to occur as the United States wrestles with gun violence, most recently a massacre that left 20 children and six adults dead at the Sandy Hook elementary school in Connecticut in December.

linky:
http://news.sky.com/story/1045891/atlan ... -at-school

That's about the fifth entry on gun crime today.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 6:50 pm

Yeah, I don't suppose anyone else could have possibly died of any other causes today.....
:roll: :roll:

MadMonkey
Raven
Raven

31 Jan 2013, 6:57 pm

Raptor wrote:
Yeah, I don't suppose anyone else could have possibly died of any other causes today.....

Seriously? I would expect that statement from a sociopath, but not from a real human. Are you sure you have Aspergers? I find AS's usually care about people.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 7:02 pm

Two possibilities, gang related or a victim of bullying.

Inb4 gun control debate.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 7:14 pm

MadMonkey wrote:
Seriously? I would expect that statement from a sociopath, but not from a real human. Are you sure you have Aspergers? I find AS's usually care about people.

Not really.

The sociopath will fake caring about people. The person with AS will be blunt and rational about these things; I don't care about people I don't know dying.

J-Greens,

By my count, about 44 people are murdered each day in the US (about 10 in the UK if you say the UK has the same population as the US, which it doesn't). About...2/3rds or so by bullet (I think that's about the number). You're going to have a big post count soon. :)

Last edited by Dillogic on 31 Jan 2013, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 7:14 pm

MadMonkey wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Your calling me a sociopath doesn't bother me. It amuses me more than anything. More on this later because I'm on my iphone now and my f*cking hands are freezing.

MadMonkey
Raven
Raven

31 Jan 2013, 7:25 pm

Raptor wrote:
MadMonkey wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Your calling me a sociopath doesn't bother me. It amuses me more than anything. More on this later because I'm on my iphone now and my f*cking hands are freezing.

I would not expect it to bother you if you are in fact a sociopath, however I was only saying that I would expect that attitude from one. Actual sociopaths can't get their feelings hurt because they don't have any.

Either way, I can't possibly know what you are from where I sit, I'm just surprised that someone with AS would find out a 14 year old was shot in the head and basically say "Meh". That's all.

MadMonkey
Raven
Raven

31 Jan 2013, 7:26 pm

Dillogic wrote:
I don't care about people I don't know dying.

http://www.online-literature.com/donne/409/

I agree with John Donne. Each man's death diminishes me.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 7:41 pm

Hard to feel for someone that you don't know, though. If it was someone I cared for, sure, I'd be devastated.

Last I heard, 60,000 people have been killed in the Syrian civil war so far. Lots and lots of people to feel for if that's your thing.

RE: sociopath,

The sociopath will fake caring about people to get their way with people. If you don't care about people you don't know, that doesn't mean you're a sociopath, that just means you don't care about people you don't know. It doesn't mean you wish them harm or are happy that they died, it just means what it means, you don't know them.

MadMonkey
Raven
Raven

31 Jan 2013, 7:48 pm

Dillogic wrote:
The sociopath will fake caring about people to get their way with people. If you don't care about people you don't know, that doesn't mean you're a sociopath, that just means you don't care about people you don't know. It doesn't mean you wish them harm or are happy that they died, it just means what it means, you don't know them.

I guess there is a spectrum. I do care about people I don't know. I always have. I actually thought most people did, since most of the people I interact with seem to based on things like driving past an accident and genuinely seeming sad and hoping those involved are OK.

But hey, maybe that is just in my world. I live in the bluest part of one of the bluest states. Perhaps that is a key difference between blues and reds. Maybe we care about strangers and red staters don't. I certainly can't make any argument that says you should care about strangers if you don't, if just means I wouldn't trust you (because I might be the stranger you don't care about).

For the record, I am seriously torn up over the 60k dead in Syria. If it were up to me we would invade the s**t out of that place.

Ramba_Ral
Raven
Raven

31 Jan 2013, 7:52 pm

here I'll display the feelings in what i suspect you wanted to hear. "gee wiz...that sure does suck."

alleng
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jan 2013, 8:17 pm

I care about people. I just don't kid myself and think it makes a difference just because I do. I am very sorry to hear of this latest tragedy. It is very sad that another person has been hurt in the sick society, but indeed, the number every day is very large. I find it is best to just try and keep my own boat afloat and be cautious when out in public. I did recently witness a near breakout of violence in a mall and it made me realize this stuff can happen to any of us - any of us could be the victim. It's a shame. G

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

31 Jan 2013, 8:31 pm

[Moved from News and Current Events to PPR]

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 11:42 pm

MadMonkey wrote:
Raptor wrote:
MadMonkey wrote:
Raptor wrote:

I would not expect it to bother you if you are in fact a sociopath, however I was only saying that I would expect that attitude from one. Actual sociopaths can't get their feelings hurt because they don't have any.

Either way, I can't possibly know what you are from where I sit, I'm just surprised that someone with AS would find out a 14 year old was shot in the head and basically say "Meh". That's all.

Given that the OP is a gun hater says a lot about why this thread exists.
It's only the gun related deaths that matter to such people.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2013, 12:16 am

Raptor wrote:

Yes, it seems that he is. Making posts about the misuse of firearms and not other objects/weapons, is evidence enough. Being ignorant on firearms is one thing (you then go to the facts), but hating is an entirely different thing -- hate is an emotion that rarely leads anywhere good.

Whilst firearms are a special interest of mine, I wouldn't let that emotion define my point of view; to do that is to let emotions rule.

I, personally, am trying to think what the next big thing will be. I don't think it'll be mental illness, as people are loathe to "control" people in the way they are to control an object (forced segregation of the mentally ill hasn't been around for some time -- if it is back, all of us with an ASD will be straight back there) -- too many civil libertarians seem to be on the side of the mentally ill. Media? Nah, too many people involved in that.

The "evil gene" will be it (a certain subset of those with a mental disorder will be prejudiced against as they'll carry it, no matter if they've done anything bad or not -- we'll restrict their freedom for the good of the majority). I bet said gene will be tied in with empathy deficits, so good times for those with an ASD.

Prud
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Feb 2013, 1:01 am

Dillogic wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Yes, it seems that he is. Making posts about the misuse of firearms and not other objects/weapons, is evidence enough. Being ignorant on firearms is one thing (you then go to the facts), but hating is an entirely different thing -- hate is an emotion that rarely leads anywhere good.

Whilst firearms are a special interest of mine, I wouldn't let that emotion define my point of view; to do that is to let emotions rule.

I, personally, am trying to think what the next big thing will be. I don't think it'll be mental illness, as people are loathe to "control" people in the way they are to control an object (forced segregation of the mentally ill hasn't been around for some time -- if it is back, all of us with an ASD will be straight back there) -- too many civil libertarians seem to be on the side of the mentally ill. Media? Nah, too many people involved in that.

The "evil gene" will be it (a certain subset of those with a mental disorder will be prejudiced against as they'll carry it, no matter if they've done anything bad or not -- we'll restrict their freedom for the good of the majority). I bet said gene will be tied in with empathy deficits, so good times for those with an ASD.

You may deem me like the OP as a "gun hater", if you feel the need to use such a name for those who have an opposing view, that's fine. I however, would not say I don't like guns so I can't be a hater of them. A better name for someone like me is a "guns in the public domain opposer".
I have no issue with you having a special interest in firearms and owning guns and shooting them too if that's what you like doing.
My question is why can't this be done at a firing range and your guns stored at the same secure location. Or is it not just the firearms that interest you, is there additional pleasure you get from firearms that cannot be fulfilled if were to have to go to such a secure environment to shoot your guns?