Crazy gun nut shoots man just for breaking into her house

Page 2 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 6:25 pm

But, Ruveyn, the press says that she used a tiny gun! That wasn't even semi-automatic! It's obviously a liberal conspiracy to cover up her death, because no dinky girl gun could possibly be adequate for home defense. This woman actually died because the thugs all rushed her at once, and she didn't have fully automatic rifle with 30 bullets to shoot them all, and they're trying to cover up her death with some actress taking her place because the liberals want you to think that a tiny little gun is all you need for home defense. They want us all to disarm!

(/sarcasm)

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 6:52 pm

LKL wrote:
But, Ruveyn, the press says that she used a tiny gun! That wasn't even semi-automatic! It's obviously a liberal conspiracy to cover up her death, because no dinky girl gun could possibly be adequate for home defense.

It had an evil high capacity magazine, though.

And actually, it was semiautomatic.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 6:57 pm

if someone breaks into your house, surely there is a compromise between doing nothing at all and shooting them dead outright.

Its that kind of binary pathology that is the problem with the gun lobby.

My deviant art profile

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 7:35 pm

psychohist wrote:
LKL wrote:
But, Ruveyn, the press says that she used a tiny gun! That wasn't even semi-automatic! It's obviously a liberal conspiracy to cover up her death, because no dinky girl gun could possibly be adequate for home defense.

Why then, did she have to cock it before she shot?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 7:41 pm

thomas81 wrote:
if someone breaks into your house, surely there is a compromise between doing nothing at all and shooting them dead outright.

Nope.
If they have the audacity to forcefully enter (bust in to) my home then I'm not just to assume they are just after my Blu-ray player.
They have knowingly put their own lives in jeopardy so why should anyone worry about them?

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 7:46 pm

Raptor wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

Nope.
If they have the audacity to forcefully enter (bust in to) my home then I'm not just to assume they are just after my Blu-ray player.
They have knowingly put their own lives in jeopardy so why should anyone worry about them?

depends on the circumstances. They might be unarmed. They might be trying to get away from someone outside your house. They might be mentally sick. There are any number of reasons to assume that they are not trying to kill you specifically. In any case, Tasers, CS spray or Jiu Jutsu or Karate lessons are a much lower liability than spraying bullets everywhere.

My deviant art profile

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 8:26 pm

LKL wrote:
psychohist wrote:
LKL wrote:

:roll: :roll:
If you knew anything about guns you'd know that some semiauto handguns have hammers. Some people prefer to store them with the hammer down, hence the need to manually cock it for the first shot.
This gets back to the need to know something about which we speak.
Next....

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 8:48 pm

LKL wrote:
psychohist wrote:
LKL wrote:

Because she stores it uncocked for safety. She then has to cock it before the first shot. Each shot then cocks the hammer for the next shot.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 8:52 pm

Raptor wrote:
If you knew anything about guns you'd know that some semiauto handguns have hammers.

Lots of people don't know anything about guns. At least he asked the question so he could find out the answer. Now he's one step closer to understanding why the whole "assault weapon ban" is just idiotic political posturing.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 9:01 pm

thomas81 wrote:
depends on the circumstances. They might be unarmed. They might be trying to get away from someone outside your house. They might be mentally sick. There are any number of reasons to assume that they are not trying to kill you specifically.

Someone trying to escape someone outside makes a lot of commotion. From personal experience, it's easy to tell the difference. As for mental health, most people are not trained to assess them or even differentiate from drug use. Either way, not only are their actions hostile, but also in just about all states (even California) someone breaking into your house fulfills the preponderance of evidence for a jury (assuming it even goes to trial) to find you were reasonably in fear for your life and thus deadly force was in used in lawful self-defense.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 9:04 pm

psychohist wrote:
Lots of people don't know anything about guns. At least he asked the question so he could find out the answer. Now he's one step closer to understanding why the whole "assault weapon ban" is just idiotic political posturing.

First of all, it's she, and second of all, I highly doubt it; she's had plenty of opportunities to inform herself over the years, to say nothing of the numerous attempts that have been made to inform her by myself and others. Gun control is more of a faith thing than a belief born of rational thought, trust me on this one.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 9:15 pm

psychohist wrote:
Raptor wrote:
If you knew anything about guns you'd know that some semiauto handguns have hammers.

Read more of LKL's gun hater posts then come back and talk to me.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 9:30 pm

thomas81 wrote:
depends on the circumstances. They might be unarmed. They might be trying to get away from someone outside your house. They might be mentally sick. There are any number of reasons to assume that they are not trying to kill you specifically. In any case, Tasers, CS spray or Jiu Jutsu or Karate lessons are a much lower liability than spraying bullets everywhere.

You can do whatever you'd like. Me? I'd like to have a gun on hand.

With a gun, you have multiple shots for multiple assailants or missed shots, you don't need to be as close to them as you do with CS spray or any hand-to-hand, and I believe you'll find the barrel of a gun to be a *very* effective deterrent, even without shots fired.

You will reap what you've sown.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 9:31 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

Nope.

Oh please!
I'm not going to take the time to go down a list of mostly remote possibilities by the numbers while they get a good start on killing me.
I carry pepper spray for possible non-lethal use in public, usually in addition to a pistol.
Sometimes the spray alone, depending.....
Tasers are good for one shot only. What if I have more than one house breaker? They work in teams sometimes ya know.
I took aikido as a kid. One of the first things they told us is that our hands and feet won't stop bullets.
I don't "spray" bullets, either.

Legally in most states you can't shoot someone for B&E alone. Shooting someone in the back while they were carrying a Blu-ray player away isn't going to cut it, legally.
Aside from that the fact that they forcefully entered someone's dwelling really stacks the legal odds in favor of the resident as it should.
I guess my advice to you, since you seem so concerned about burglar safety, is not to bust into an American home.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 9:38 pm

No one has ever replied on the rabid skunk query,how to you safely kill a rabid animal without a gun?And there's no animal control here,you are on your own if something attacks your chickens,should I whack the animal with a stick?
If someone is banging at the front door and asking for help that's way different than climbing in a window or forcing the door open.If this happens at three in the morning I'm thinking the worst.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 9:48 pm

/\
Even here in the suburbs of hell I'd be inclined to kill a rabid skunk or whatever on the spot. By the time animal control gets here it'll likely be gone and the the next time it appears it might bite some kid.

As for the person in need of help banging on the door I will help them.
BUT I'm going to look first and when (if) I first open my door I'll have a pistol stuck in the back of my britches and my hand back there. Find out if they are legit before letting your guard down one inch.
People have been killed or cut up for not being prudent about that.