Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 8:35 am

Very cute. :lol:

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 9:50 am

Regardless of whether some quotes were taken out of context or not, let's think in probabilistic terms:

It is likely there are women who hate men in general. Women who we refer to as misandrists.

All sorts of women claim to be feminists and fight for women's rights, each in her own way.

Therefore, it is likely that there are misandrists who happen to be feminists and who happen to fight for women's rights in a misandrist manner.

Unless I misunderstood the point of this OP, LKL, I think I got this properly addressed.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 5:26 pm

Oh, I'm sure there are women who hate men, and that some of them call themselves feminists. The problem is that men who argue against feminism almost always try to use this very small subset to denigrate the entire field; it's like arguing against conservatives by citing Rush Limbaugh.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 5:29 pm

LKL wrote:
Oh, I'm sure there are women who hate men, and that some of them call themselves feminists. The problem is that men who argue against feminism almost always try to use this very small subset to denigrate the entire field; it's like arguing against conservatives by citing Rush Limbaugh.

Well, he is the heart, soul and mind of the Repugnican Party.

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 7:33 pm

i actually met a girl recently irl that got on the topic of feminism and her Lesbian orientation, which she felt went hand in hand. I actually liked her on many levels until she got to this topic, and it seemed like the only way I was going to get positive feedback from her was from undermining my own masculinity. For this reason I told her I didnt really want to talk gender politics. She seemed like a really hurt person in some ways and was very bitter. She didn't really hate me in a general sense, but I felt a strong resentment from her for me being a heterosexual male specifically. If I talked to her in some feminist protest, heard clips from her feminist radio show on Rush Limbaugh, or got in some argument with her over the internet, I probably would have had a much more negative view of her. However, since I met her in real life through a mutual friend and saw her as a multi-dimmensional person, not just one dimmensional snippets u get through the internet or talk radio.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

12 Feb 2013, 10:53 pm

JNathanK wrote:
i actually met a girl recently irl that got on the topic of feminism and her Lesbian orientation, which she felt went hand in hand. I actually liked her on many levels until she got to this topic, and it seemed like the only way I was going to get positive feedback from her was from undermining my own masculinity. For this reason I told her I didnt really want to talk gender politics. She seemed like a really hurt person in some ways and was very bitter. She didn't really hate me in a general sense, but I felt a strong resentment from her for me being a heterosexual male specifically. If I talked to her in some feminist protest, heard clips from her feminist radio show on Rush Limbaugh, or got in some argument with her over the internet, I probably would have had a much more negative view of her. However, since I met her in real life through a mutual friend and saw her as a multi-dimmensional person, not just one dimmensional snippets u get through the internet or talk radio.

My first gf was like this, but not lesbian. I think you have to be able to distinguish between their resentment of "men" collectively and the fact that they probably don't resent you as a person. It's like me with NTs. I hate NT's, but just because someone is an NT doesn't mean I'm going to hate that particular person.

And this is the most extreme version of feminism. Most feminists probably wouldn't say they hate or resent men but, rather, hate and resist traditional gender roles and/or capitalism. And I do too. If it weren't for "traditional gender roles" that feminism tries to tear down, I wouldn't be expected to "be a man" and ask women out and do all the other bull crap that "men" are supposed to do because they are "men."

I think most feminists hate sexism, which can come from women too, not just men.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 9:36 pm

You would do well to post within the full proper context for the sake of intellectual integrity.

Because, after all, it's likely it may be taken completely out of context.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 11:03 pm

I posted this in the pics thread a long time ago.

But thanks for reposting.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 4:12 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
I posted this in the pics thread a long time ago.

But thanks for reposting.

I haven't ever visited that thread -figured it was too likely to turn into a Redditesque cesspit. Good to know that there was something of actual interest happening.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 5:05 am

MCalavera wrote:
You would do well to post within the full proper context for the sake of intellectual integrity.

Because, after all, it's likely it may be taken completely out of context.

It's not really out of context. Sandra Harding took part in the so-called "Science Wars" and took the side of the BS "postmodernist" philosophy of science:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandra_Harding

Her calling Newton's Principia a "rape manual" is no different from Luce Irigaray's assertion that E=mc^2 is a "sexed equation" because it privileges one speed over all the others or Lacan's statement that the square root of -1 was the "erectile organ".