Worrying developments in Sri Lanka over Buddhist extremism

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 9:08 am

Quote:
Sri Lanka hardline group calls for halal boycott

A new hardline Sinhalese Buddhist group in Sri Lanka has called for the abolition of the Muslim halal system of slaughter without stunning.

The Bodu Bala Sena, or Buddhist Strength Force, also said foreign propagators of religions should leave the country within a month.

[...]

The leaders called for a boycott of halal meat and demanded shops clear their stocks by April, the AFP news agency reports. Youth activists at the rally wore T-shirts denouncing the cruel Muslim halal method of slaughtering animals for food.

The calls come at a time of mounting religious tension in the country. There have been several attacks on both mosques and Muslim-owned businesses as well as on Christian churches and the clergy, the BBC's Charles Haviland reports from Colombo.

I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with wanting to ban halal, but the rest of it (especially calling for religious cleansing) is just hatred, especially considering the attacks on Muslim and Christian-owned businesses there. From what I can tell, the Muslims are the ones being sinned against here in the pursuit of Sinhalese nationalism.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 12:42 pm

I am aware of Buddhist extremism in sri lankas. However most of this was directed at Tamils, and of course the Tamil tiger are famous for developing terrorist tactic, such as suicide bombers, road side bombs (especially the highlight effective shaped charge attack from the side), and even used planes. Al Qaeda pretty much learn everything from them.

There is a lot of sectarian tension. but I thing really this is really to do with Sinhalese nationalism.

There is also a rise in Christian extremism too,

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 12:44 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
There is a lot of sectarian tension. but I thing really this is really to do with Sinhalese nationalism.

There is also a rise in Christian extremism too,

The problem is that are the Muslims partially or wholly to blame in this case? They seem like innocent victims here (and some of the comments on one or two of the anti-Islam blogs are vile). From what I can tell, it seems to be about nationalists looking for another easy target.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 12:50 pm

Muslims are quite a small minority.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 12:56 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Muslims are quite a small minority.

If I'm joining the dots correctly... I can understand why Muslims and Christians might not be popular with extreme Sinhalese nationalists.

Am I right or not?

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 3:07 pm

I dislike nationalism as a rule. It's a disease to be erradicated. In this case I don't know who started the bickering but I don't really care. Native buddhists are mostly ignorant of buddhist doctrine. Had they known what the scriptures say the situation would be resolved much easier and without violence. However, I must say that wherever there are muslims living with non muslims there is trouble. Thailand, Burma, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Russia, Balcans, etc. I wonder why...