Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Can the mind-body problem/"hard" problem of consciousness be "solvable" by a future physics/science?
No, the "hard problem" of consciousness will never be solved by us. 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
Yes, a future revision of science/physics will allow us to unify the mental with the physical and solve it. 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Other-please specify 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 9

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 8:20 pm

The so-called "hard" problem of consciousness (e.g. mind-body problem) ranks in the top few unanswered scientific questions:

Journal Ranks Top 25 Unanswered Science Questions
http://www.sciencemag.org/site/feature/ ... eat/125th/

Please vote and discuss why you hold your position. Here are some arguments that summarize what I believe to be the major points. First there's Chomsky:

Quote:
The mind-body problem can be posed sensibly only insofar as we have a definite conception of body. If we have no such definite and fixed conception, we cannot ask whether some phenomena fall beyond its range...

There is no longer any definite conception of body. Rather, the material world is whatever we discover it to be, with whatever properties it must be assumed to have for the purposes of explanatory theory. Any intelligible theory that offers genuine explanations and that can be assimilated to the core notions of physics becomes part of the theory of the material world, part of our account of body. If we have such a theory in some domain, we seek to assimilate it to the core notions of physics, perhaps modifying these notions as we carry out this enterprise...

The mind-body problem can therefore not even be formulated. The problem cannot be solved, because there is no clear way to state it. Unless someone proposes a definite concept of body, we cannot ask whether some phenomena exceed its bounds.There seems to be no coherent doctrine of materialism and metaphysical naturalism, no issue of eliminativism, no mind-body problem....

[The terms] 'body' and 'the physical world' refer to whatever there is, all of which we try to understand as best we can and to integrate into a coherent theoretical system that we call the natural sciences...If it were shown that the properties of the world fall into two disconnected domains, then we would, I suppose, say that that is the nature of the physical world, nothing more, just as if the world of matter and anti-matter were to prove unrelated.

There are some philosophers (e.g. Nagel), however, who question this view, as they argue that even with future revision of science/physics the mind-body problem or so-called "hard problem" of consciousness will remain intractible:
Quote:
I have heard at least one respected physicist avert that "physics is finished," meaning that even microphysics is already empirically adequate and its physical ontology, its ontology of substances, is reasonably well understood; the remaining projects of microphysics – positing superstrings, constructing a unified field theory and the like–are only matters of interpreting and mathematizing the physical ontology. If that is so, then there is no reason to think that physics will expand its ontology in so fundamental a way as to afford a reduction of the mental that was not already available....Even, if our idea of the physical ever expands to include mental phenomena, it will have to assign them an objective character-whether or not this is done by analyzing them in terms of other phenomena already regarded as physical.

So, Nagel is arguing that physics is finished for all intensive purposes; thus, the mind-body problem is different from all other so called previous "problems" seen in science, because unlike the others, subjectivity/qualia cannot be reduced/unified to any future “material” entity regardless of future revisions of our "material"/“physical” theories. Nagel believes this because he argues that regardless of future revisions of the physical, it can never expand to include mental phenomena because, in principle, the "physical" would have to assign them an objective or mathematical and/or computational character but any any such character cannot possibly shed any light on subjectivity/qualia/the phenomenal or "feel" of our experience/thoughts. My own position is that it can never be solved. Here is why I believe this:

1. Science only reveals the causal / relational properties of physical objects, and that "we know next to nothing about the intrinsic nature of the world. We know only its causal/relational nature." (Russell)

2. While physics can tell us only about the dispositional or relational properties of matter, dispositions ultimately require categorical properties as bases, and relations ultimately require intrinsic properties as relata so there must also be categorical or intrinsic properties about which physics is silent. Yet these are properties of physical objects and thus are physical properties in one central sense. Instantiations of such properties would therefore constitute physical facts of which we are ignorant, as per the ignorance hypothesis. (Stoljar)

3. Matter must have an intrinsic nature to ground its dispositional properties. We know nothing of this nature, and in fact the only intrinsic nature with which we are familiar is consciousness itself. It is arguable that we cannot conceive of any other intrinsic nature because our knowledge of the physical is entirely based upon its dispositions to produce certain conscious experiences under certain conditions. Of course, we can assert that matter has a non-experiential intrinsic nature which is utterly mysterious to us, but this would seem to make the problem of emergence yet more difficult. An emergentism which made the generation of consciousness intelligible would be one that showed how experience emerged from what we know about matter, that is, from its dispositional properties. But it seems impossible to see how the dispositions to move in certain directions under certain conditions could give rise to or constitute consciousness, save by the kind of brute and miraculous radical emergence discussed above. If granting some kind of experiential intrinsic aspect to the fundamental physical entities of the world eliminates this problem, it might be worth the cost in initial uncomfortable implausibility. (Seager/Strawson)

All this sounds plausible (except the last hi-lited part); the part that leads these authors to favour a type of panpsychism. Why do I think this last part of Seager's/Strawson'a argument is flawed? Jussi Jylkkä summarizes it nicely:
Quote:
But now it seems that Strawson is confusing here the possibility of the emergence of mind from scientifically described properties like mass, charge, or spin, with the possibility of the emergence of mind from the intrinsic properties that correspond to these scientific properties. It is indeed the case that mind cannot emerge from scientifically described extrinsic properties like mass, charge, and spin, but do we know that mind could not emerge from the intrinsic properties that underlie these scientifically observable properties? It might be argued that since we know absolutely nothing about the intrinsic nature of mass, charge, and spin, we simply cannot tell whether they could be something non-mental and still constitute mentality when organised properly. It might well be that mentality is like liquidity: the intrinsic nature of mass, charge and spin might not be mental itself, just like individual H2O-molecules are not liquid themselves, but could nevertheless constitute mentality when organised properly, just like H2O-molecules can constitute liquidity when organised properly (this would be a variation of neutral monism). In short, the problem is that we just do not know enough about the intrinsic nature of the fundamental level of reality that we could say almost anything about it...Thus, even if the intrinsic nature of electrons and other fundamental particles is in fact mental, this does not mean that it should be anything like human mentality—rather, we can only say that the ontological category their intrinsic nature belongs to is the same as the one our phenomenal realm belongs to. This category in the most general sense is perhaps best titled ‘ideal’.

I personally cannot see how we will ever be able to break this impasse even with future revisions of physics/science. I do think that Colin McGinn has come the closest to suggesting something that would be required but I don't think that will ever be achievable because non-locality/non-spatiality doesn't seem enough:
Quote:
How do conscious events cause physical changes in the body? Not by proximate contact, apparently, on pain of over-spatialising consciousness, and presumably not by action-at-a-distance either. Recent philosophy has become accustomed to the idea of mental causation, but this is actually much more mysterious than is generally appreciated, once the non-spatial character of consciousness is acknowledged. To put it differently, we understand mental causation only if we deny the intuition of non-spatiality. The standard analogy with physical unobservables simply dodges these hard questions, lulling us into a false sense of intelligibility....

Conscious phenomena are not located and extended in the usual way; but then again they are surely not somehow 'outside' of space, adjacent perhaps to the abstract realm. Rather, they bear an opaque and anomalous relation to space, as space is currently conceived. They seem neither quite 'in' it nor quite 'out' of it. Presumably, however, this is merely an epistemological fact, not an ontological one. It is just that we lack the theory with which to make sense of the relation in question. In themselves consciousness and space must be related in some intelligible naturalistic fashion, though they may have to be conceived very differently from the way they now are for this to become apparent. My conjecture is that it is in this nexus that the solution to the space problem lies. Consciousness is the next big anomaly to call for a revision in how we conceive space-just as other revisions were called for by earlier anomalies. And the revision is likely to be large-scale, despite the confinement of consciousness to certain small pockets of the natural world. This is because space is such a fundamental feature of things that anything that produces disturbances in our conception of it must cut pretty deeply into our world-view....That is the region in which our ignorance is focused: not in the details of neurophysiological activity but, more fundamentally, in how space is structured or constituted. That which we refer to when we use the word 'space' has a nature that is quite different from how we standardly conceive it to be; so different, indeed, that it is capable of 'containing' the non-spatial (as we now conceive it) phenomenon of consciousness.

Consciousness and Space
http://www.nyu.edu/gsas/dept/philo/cour ... Space.html

Chomsky on the mind-body problem
http://www.chomsky.info/onchomsky/20030401.pdf

Mind as an Intrinsic Property of Matter
http://users.utu.fi/jusjyl/MIPM.pdf

The ‘Intrinsic Nature’ Argument for Panpsychism
http://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/~seager/intnat.pdf

Last edited by Kon on 25 Feb 2013, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 7:04 am

I may be biased due to my extreme adherence to the unity of science, but I am somewhat reluctant to accept that a Mind-Body problem exists at all (so I chose the "other" vote). This also leads me to reject many of the philosophical terms used to describe consciousness, as I perceive it as physical phenomenon as any other.

I generally see 3 positions when it comes to the Mind-Body problem:

1. Consciousness is part of the physical world, and it can currently be comprehended by the standard tools of scientific inquiry.
2. Consciousness is part of the physical world, but it can not currently be comprehended by the standard tools of scientific inquiry.
3. Consciousness is not part of the physical world.

Option (3) seems to be the favourite of many philosophers who are proponents of dualism (the Mind-Body problem). But is it necessary?

First of all, from a strict Popperian perspective, option (3) is an extraordinary ontological claim ( that some aspects of reality exist outside the laws of physics). It would only be reasonable, then, to adopt the criteria for evidence for such claims as described by Carl Sagan: "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence".

Furthermore, it would be incorrect to use the current inability of science to account accurately for the mechanisms of human consciousness as proof of Mind-Body dualism, as this would be a classic case of the Argument from Ignorance fallacy. Yet option (3) is often taken at face value by philosophers without the demonstration of evidence.

Second of all, does science really *have* a problem accounting for consciousness?

The following sources suggest otherwise. Degrees of consciousness have been found in several species (including mammals, bird and even octopuses)

http://faculty.bennington.edu/~sherman/ ... proach.pdf
http://fcmconference.org/img/CambridgeD ... usness.pdf

Now, it would be silly to claim that a pigeon is as conscious as a human being, but it nonetheless illustrates that consciousness should probably not be considered a taxon, but rather a continuum, and that some animals possess it to a greater degree than others.

If we stop seeing consciousness as a distinct feature of humanity, and instead as an example of heightened cognitive ability among some animals compared to others, then consciousness stops being a fundamental problem from science, and it instead becomes just another biological difference that needs to be explained.

My guess is that we are somewhere in between option (1) and (2), and that we will move closer and closer to (1) as our scientific understanding of the human brain continues to expand. Pioneer studies have already found links between individual genes/groups of genes and specific cognitive traits like ADHD and intelligence, so I see no fundamental obstacle in acquiring greater knowledge of the human mind through the scientific method.

Summary: In my opinion, treating consciousness as something distinct from physical reality violates the Occam's Razor rule (the most parsimonious explanation). Mind-Body dualism is a radical scientific claim, and I am unaware of any fundamental scientific difficulties in understanding human cognition which could justify such a claim.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 8:21 am

Yes. As soon as we solve the Stomach-Digestion Problem?

ruveyn

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 10:05 am

ruveyn wrote:
Yes. As soon as we solve the Stomach-Digestion Problem?

Both the stomach and digestion is knowable from a third person (objective) point of view. Consciousness/qualia/subjectivity is not. To be in a subjective state is to have a first-person point of view. The same is not the case with digestion. And functionalism doesn't cut it either. The argument is that phenomenal qualities are essentially intrinsic, while physical properties are solely structural/dynamic and a future physics will not change that. Consider Frank Jackson's knowledge argument:
Quote:
The knowledge argument aims to establish that conscious experience involves non-physical properties. It rests on the idea that someone who has complete physical knowledge about another conscious being might yet lack knowledge about how it feels to have the experiences of that being. It is one of the most discussed arguments against physicalism.

Qualia: The Knowledge Argument
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qualia-knowledge/

Keni
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2013, 2:52 pm

This is a new concept to me, so apologies if I've completely missed the point.
It can be observed that consciousness and awareness grows as a person develops.
Brain activity can be measured in electrical impulses and chemicals transmitted.

You can observe and measure consciousness going bit by bit due to chemical or organic alterations (overdose, anaesthesia, stroke, Alzheimers)
The suggestion of a separate "plane/ space" for awareness seems to have undertones of the "ether" where spirits were supposed to live - a superstitious hangover.

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 5:14 pm

Keni wrote:
You can observe and measure consciousness going bit by bit due to chemical or organic alterations (overdose, anaesthesia, stroke, Alzheimers).

You can measure neural correlates of consciousness/qualia but not consciousness/qualia.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 5:58 pm

Kon wrote:
Keni wrote:
You can observe and measure consciousness going bit by bit due to chemical or organic alterations (overdose, anaesthesia, stroke, Alzheimers).

You can measure neural correlates of consciousness/qualia but not consciousness/qualia.

The neural events are consciousness. We just can't see it right from the Inside.

ruveyn

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 7:50 pm

ruveyn wrote:
The neural events are consciousness. We just can't see it right from the Inside.

Well, if you can't see/measure them, how can be so sure that they are same thing (e.g. neural events=consciousness), particularly given the vastly different nature of the two? And also particularly because you need the latter (mental) to infer the former (neural events)?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 9:16 pm

Kon wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

Well, if you can't see/measure them, how can be so sure that they are same thing (e.g. neural events=consciousness), particularly given the vastly different nature of the two? And also particularly because you need the latter (mental) to infer the former (neural events)?

Spend a few hours with a PET scanner and that will make a believer out of you. I have. I have seen myself think. Fascinating. I am now more convinced than ever there is no such think as mind as a separate substance not conformable to physical laws. Everything in the Cosmos is physical.

As Carl Sagan said (billyuns and billyuns of times) the Cosmos was, is and always will be all that there is.

ruveyn

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 10:24 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Spend a few hours with a PET scanner and that will make a believer out of you. I have. I have seen myself think. Fascinating. I am now more convinced than ever there is no such think as mind as a separate substance not conformable to physical laws.

I doubt that you have ever "seen" yourself think and you have never "seen" anybody else think. Thoughts are not spatial, don't have dimension and can't be measured directly. They are inferred from stuff like behaviour, brain scans, etc. And I have spent many hours on PET scan and other brain scans, etc. My previous degree was in Radiation sciences and Neuroscience. I didn't "observe" my thoughts at some place or anybody else's thoughts.
ruveyn wrote:
Everything in the Cosmos is physical.

What's your definition of "physical"?

Last edited by Kon on 25 Feb 2013, 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Keni
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2013, 11:08 pm

Kon wrote:
Keni wrote:

I understand your meaning, but I think the neural correlates are as accurate as consciousness can be defined with the tools we currently have.

eg you can feel the back of your head, hear tone through its bone, view it in a mirror or video, but you cannot actually see it with your eyes.
you can assume that because the back of other people heads look as they do, that your viewing tools are accurate.

I think that at this stage, we are looking at consciousness without the equivalent of a mirror or video.

Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 12:04 am

GGPViper wrote:
I generally see 3 positions when it comes to the Mind-Body problem:

1. Consciousness is part of the physical world, and it can currently be comprehended by the standard tools of scientific inquiry.
2. Consciousness is part of the physical world, but it can not currently be comprehended by the standard tools of scientific inquiry.
3. Consciousness is not part of the physical world.

Position 4. 'Consciousness' in this context is just some nonsense uttered by some mystics and so called 'philosophers'.

Kon wrote:
Thoughts are not spatial, don't have dimension and can't be measured directly. They are inferred from stuff like behaviour, brain scans, etc.

No. You cannot infer such mystical thing as 'consciousness' from behaviour, brain scans, etc. At best you can use the theory of thought as a model to explain behaviour, brain scans, etc.

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 12:41 am

01001011 wrote:
Position 4. 'Consciousness' in this context is just some nonsense uttered by some mystics and so called 'philosophers'.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 1:04 am

Were's the "this problem is dissolvable" option?

Keni
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2013, 1:41 am

01001011 wrote:
GGPViper wrote:

No. You cannot infer such mystical thing as 'consciousness' from behaviour, brain scans, etc. At best you can use the theory of thought as a model to explain behaviour, brain scans, etc.

Umm when did consciousness get all mystical and woo?
Its simply the state of being awake, aware of surroundings and able to process input and output through the brain .

Or did someone hijack the word when I wasn't looking?

NewRotIck
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Feb 2013, 3:54 am

I doubt the mind-body problem can ever be "solved" in the sense that we'd get a tidy little theory that explains the entirety of consciousness, including the subjective. It's just too complex. The best we can do is model its components in ever-increasing detail, approaching, but never quite reaching, complete understanding.

I always seem to fall back on panpsychism when trying to wrap my tiny brain around the problem, but I suspect that's just a local maximum rather than something resembling true reality. The truth is probably far weirder.

Perhaps our hyperintelligent machine / cyborg / genetically enhanced descendants will look back on this and laugh at our feeble attempts. Like ants trying to understand general relativity.