Turkish autism groups angry over comments on religion

Page 2 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 3:44 am

puddingmouse wrote:
Thing is, in a religious society (which Turkey supposedly isn't) this guy probably sounds progressive and understanding, 'no, they're not demonic, it's their faulty brains'.

I think a lot of Turkey - particularly in the poorer, eastern areas - are extremely religious and conservative. The urban areas in the west are probably the exception.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 3:57 am

So now we're lacking a piece of our brains.
I have to wonder if more fanatical Muslims will be inspired to rid the world of us.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 4:16 am

Kuffar by birth

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 4:19 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Kuffar by birth

Eh?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 5:29 am

Pretty easy to see why those with an ASD are less religious:

religion is social indoctrination, and people with ASDs are far less likely to be affected by such
faith and belief are emotions (boo to emotions)

Some have it as an interest though, and they tend to be...obsessed, of course.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 5:40 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Eh?

"Kuffar" is generally a derogatory and Muslim term for non-Muslims.

Heretic, infidel, and all that.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 6:39 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
So now we're lacking a piece of our brains.
I have to wonder if more fanatical Muslims will be inspired to rid the world of us.

It depends how someone wants to read out of the texts of the quoran, as the bible they are not written by Jesus/Mohammed themselves but from followers of them long after their death. Additional, as in the bible, there are endless discussions about how a text is translated correct and what was meant and so on. For the majority of the muslim, "madness" and all sort of mental illness is tolerated, because the person was born and created that way. So if you would say, the person itself was wrong, this would lead to the thought that the person was created wrong, and this would mean the creator of the person would have done an error. As example in most muslim countries homosexuality is tolerated (not accepted) because homosexuality is seen as a kind of mental illness. The misadvantage is, that if you receive the benefits of "being an mental ill person", you also have to endure the misadvantage. So people can treat you as a child if you are known for being mental disabled, or that your family is responsible for you and so on.

boywonder
Raven
Raven

24 Apr 2013, 7:15 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Some studies indicated that non-believers have lower levels of dopamine, do autistics have lowers levels of dopamine?

What about autistics who used to be believers? Did there dopamine levels change?

I've met many religious aspies... black and white thinking, meek shall be beamed up to the promised land... long suffering, goodness honesty motive

maybe mosques are too bright, noisy and full of people?

Last edited by boywonder on 25 Apr 2013, 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 1:39 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Pretty easy to see why those with an ASD are less religious:

religion is social indoctrination, and people with ASDs are far less likely to be affected by such
faith and belief are emotions (boo to emotions)

Some have it as an interest though, and they tend to be...obsessed, of course.

Don't forget that it's probably harder to connect to God than to other people and since aspies have trouble with the latter...

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 5:20 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Some studies indicated that non-believers have lower levels of dopamine, do autistics have lowers levels of dopamine?

Is that a cause, or an effect?

Does getting caught up in the holy spirit- Hallalooyahh!- release dopamine. Or does more dopamine cause you seek out salvation?

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 5:25 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Is that a cause, or an effect?

Does getting caught up in the holy spirit- Hallalooyahh!- release dopamine. Or does more dopamine cause you seek out salvation?

lmao i thought this said "salivation".

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 5:27 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

That has been one of their main goals for the last 1,400 years.

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Kuffar by birth

Enjoy burning in hell like the rest of us. We'll be nice and warm (no homo, obv).

bryanmaloney
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Apr 2013, 10:12 am

I'm both religious and have Asperger's.

PS: I do not indulge in that "getting caught up in the Holy Spirit" stuff. Not all of us are Evangelical or Charismatic Protestants.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 10:22 am

Dillogic wrote:
"Kuffar" is generally a derogatory and Muslim term for non-Muslims.

It's also contemptuously used by the more supremacistic and literalist Muslims to refer to other Muslims who they consider to be not dedicated enough, not religious enough, not a true supporter of (their version of) Islam. It can just as easily mean someone referring to a different sect of Islam who they consider to be non-believers.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 10:28 am

Whatever accounts for all the non-aspies who have unshakable faith in atheism? Do academia and Opriates remove a piece of their brain?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 10:54 am

Philologos wrote:
Whatever accounts for all the non-aspies who have unshakable faith in atheism? Do academia and Opriates remove a piece of their brain?

He did say that aspie children could be 'cured' by therapy of this deficit.

I suppose (according this turkish researcher) that all of the non- aspie athiests are like people who are psychosomatically blind, whereas aspie athiests are like real blind people who dont have functioning eyes.

And I guess the reverse analogy would also hold. The religous aspies are like deaf lip readers who fake it in conversation. Religous neurotypicals are like normal hearing people.

Handicapped people find way new neural pathways around their handicaps. So I suppose he would anwer you in some way like that.