Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 11:27 am

Either God exists or God does not exist.

If God does not exist then anger is wasted energy and emotion.

If God does exists and It is as is advertised, then anger is futile.

ruveyn

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 11:32 am

Seems like common sense to me. I've sometimes heard believers say that "atheists are just angry at God", which is a ridiculous statement. I'm atheist but not not angry at God in the same way I'm not angry at pink unicorns or fluffy dragons. How can anyone be angry with something that doesn't exist?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 11:43 am

TallyMan wrote:
Seems like common sense to me. I've sometimes heard believers say that "atheists are just angry at God", which is a ridiculous statement. I'm atheist but not not angry at God in the same way I'm not angry at pink unicorns or fluffy dragons. How can anyone be angry with something that doesn't exist?

You are also not angry with tornados or earthquakes. Your anger and mine will not stop them.

ruveyn

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 12:22 pm

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

You often hear believers proselyting how we should regard our relationship with god in the way that you would with your earthly father.

I think anger at god is a byproduct of the 'hope' of the believer to cultivate that relationship and to improve one's lot.

My deviant art profile

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 12:44 pm

ruveyn wrote:
You are also not angry with tornados or earthquakes. Your anger and mine will not stop them.

It is slowly stopping them. Centuries ago, when science and technology were much less advanced, they caused more damage. We were less able to predict them, and buildings were much less able to withstand them. Some day people may very well be able to control the whole atmosphere or otherwise get rid of those natural disasters for good, even if noöne living today sees it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 3:36 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

It is slowly stopping them. Centuries ago, when science and technology were much less advanced, they caused more damage. We were less able to predict them, and buildings were much less able to withstand them. Some day people may very well be able to control the whole atmosphere or otherwise get rid of those natural disasters for good, even if noöne living today sees it.

Don't hold your breath until that happens. Weather is chaotic dynamics at work. It turns our our physical sciences are very inept at dealing with chaotic systems. They are mathematically intractable.

And taking technological steps to control or moderate the damage from natural processes has nothing to do with anger and everything to do with mathematics, logic and technology which are the very antithesis of such mindless emotions as anger.

ruveyn

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 4:20 pm

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

But if god lied to us in f.e. the bible, then perhaps he is not omnipotent. Humans might find him and take out their anger on him. :twisted:

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 4:46 pm

I used to be angry at God, but then I realised that this whole God thing is bullsh*t. So now I'm just angry.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 8:11 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Don't hold your breath until that happens. Weather is chaotic dynamics at work. It turns our our physical sciences are very inept at dealing with chaotic systems. They are mathematically intractable.

Just a matter of building something big enough, which in turn is just a matter of time. I never said anything about holding my breath.

ruveyn wrote:
And taking technological steps to control or moderate the damage from natural processes has nothing to do with anger and everything to do with mathematics, logic and technology which are the very antithesis of such mindless emotions as anger.

We’d never do it without the drive to overcome our limitations. If we’d been fully satisfied with our state of nature, we’d still be there. It’s a long and slow fight, and therefore involves a lot of thinking, but it still requires motivation, i.e. “anger”.

boywonder
Raven
Raven

05 May 2013, 6:16 pm

I think its harmful to be angry with god, a Skippy optimism is much healthier to express
Imagine calling your love child 'Angroid'

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 6:21 pm

Spiderpig wrote:

We’d never do it without the drive to overcome our limitations. If we’d been fully satisfied with our state of nature, we’d still be there. It’s a long and slow fight, and therefore involves a lot of thinking, but it still requires motivation, i.e. “anger”.

That is not anger. That is ego and pride at work.

ruveyn

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 6:34 pm

Anger with God is futile because anger is not a productive emotion. It can drive you for a little while, but then you just find your self tied up in negativity. And God doesn't care if an individual is angry with him - he's looking at the bigger picture. We have to realize that we are not all that important in the greater scheme of things. If we did, maybe we could slow down on the child production and scientific inquiry. But I'm a bit of a luddite.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 10:24 pm

If God exists as advertised, then He is holy, and everything else is not.

We are not holy, our places of worship are not holy, our worship is not holy, our hymns are not holy, our prayers are not holy, and even our scriptures are not holy.

Not only is this an issue of "oil and water don't mix" (metaphorically speaking), it's as if the oil and the water can never even come into contact with each other.

Go ahead, be angry at God and watch what happens.

trollcatman wrote:
... if god lied to us in f.e. the bible, then perhaps he is not omnipotent. Humans might find him and take out their anger on him.

The Bible, the Koran, and the Torah/Talmud were all written by humans, not God. Humans are not only unholy, but imperfect; and they all lie - the only variable is about what. So, at best, all "scripture" written by humans is suspect. At worst, it's all a myth.

PrncssAlay
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2013, 3:36 am

Fnord wrote:
So, at best, all "scripture" written by humans is suspect. At worst, it's all a myth.

Or, in other words, at best all "scripture" written by humans is a myth. At worst, it's suspect. :)

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 10:53 am

Why be angry at something that doesn't exist?

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 12:06 pm

I'm angry at the tooth fairy,where's my $$$ for those wisdom teeth I had removed??
What a slacker.