Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2006
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,250

24 Jan 2007, 3:34 pm

Scientist's point of view on this right now seem to be flawed, because they base survivability by what is survivable to earth conditions. But, it took us thousands of years to adopt to our atmosphere, who is to say something intelligent might not have evolved over thousands of years to a different Atmosphere? And, just like we wouldn't survive there, maybe they couldn't survive here. This basically opens up almost any planet in our solar system as a candidate to carry some form of sentient life.
It is also possible that they may have different needs and desires than humans do, as a result of living in a far different world. It is also possible that intelligent life could exist in a non-humanoid form, like perhaps something closer to a squid? These possibilities are rather endless. But still it's fun to try and image what could be out there.



snake321
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2006
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,250

24 Jan 2007, 3:39 pm

But we already have evidence here on earth to support my point that life can adopt to different atmospheres. We have land animals, and we have water animals. Same goes for plants too (hell there might even be intelligent plant life somewhere for all we know).



hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,943

24 Jan 2007, 4:21 pm

snake321 wrote:
But we already have evidence here on earth to support my point that life can adopt to different atmospheres. We have land animals, and we have water animals. Same goes for plants too (hell there might even be intelligent plant life somewhere for all we know).


Yes but at a higher level you have to start looking at things like the water cycle, nitrogen cycle, carbon cycle, etc.



Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,667
Location: Calgary

24 Jan 2007, 7:33 pm

Intelligent life? Apparently theres bacteria on Mars that is probably more intelligent then life on Earth



TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,092
Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

24 Jan 2007, 8:06 pm

If the universe is 15 billion years old and expanding and the speed of light. Then thats a sphere 30 billion light years in diameter.

V=4/3¶r3= (15e9)e3 * 4/3 * ¶ = 1.41371669 × 10e31 cubic light years

Let say our solar system is the distance from pluto to the sun thats
5.869 e9 miles

1 light year = 5,865,696,000,000 miles

5.869 e 9 / 5.865696e12 = 0.00100056328 light years

v= (0.00100056328)^3 * pi * 4/3 =4.19587258 × 10-9 cubic light years in our solar system.

How many volumes in the universe the size of our solar system.

1.41371669 × 10e31 /4.19587258 × 10e-9

3.36930321× 10e39

If we can scan 1,000,000,000 of those volumes in one second that means it would take :

365.25 x 24 x 60 x 60 x 1000000000 = 3.15576 × 10e16

3.36930321× 10e39 / 3.15576 x 10e16 = 1.06766776 x 10^23 years

I give up no f***ing way you peeps can understand how big the universe is. :)



TechnoMonk
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,313
Location: Stoke, uk

24 Jan 2007, 8:29 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
If the universe is 15 billion years old and expanding and the speed of light. Then thats a sphere 30 billion light years in diameter.

V=4/3¶r3= (15e9)e3 * 4/3 * ¶ = 1.41371669 × 10e31 cubic light years

Let say our solar system is the distance from pluto to the sun thats
5.869 e9 miles

1 light year = 5,865,696,000,000 miles

5.869 e 9 / 5.865696e12 = 0.00100056328 light years

v= (0.00100056328)^3 * pi * 4/3 =4.19587258 × 10-9 cubic light years in our solar system.

How many volumes in the universe the size of our solar system.

1.41371669 × 10e31 /4.19587258 × 10e-9

3.36930321× 10e39

If we can scan 1,000,000,000 of those volumes in one second that means it would take :

365.25 x 24 x 60 x 60 x 1000000000 = 3.15576 × 10e16

3.36930321× 10e39 / 3.15576 x 10e16 = 1.06766776 x 10^23 years

I give up no f***ing way you peeps can understand how big the universe is. :)




are you posing or trying to answer the question?

Yes it's a big place, yes there are a lot of planets out there, but we still know so little about how life started (outside of useless unprovable theories). Who is to say that life doesn't start up in every single star system with planets like ours? Wow, the stupidity of those equations absoutely astounds me. What exactly are you proving? That you can cut and paste from a science website with no real understanding of what it proves? Really annoying and pathetic tbh. 1,000,000,000 systems? Post back when we've "scanned" just 100 of those.



TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,092
Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

24 Jan 2007, 8:48 pm

TechnoMonk wrote:
Yes it's a big place, yes there are a lot of planets out there, but we still know so little about how life started (outside of useless unprovable theories). Who is to say that life doesn't start up in every single star system with planets like ours? Wow, the stupidity of those equations absoutely astounds me. What exactly are you proving? That you can cut and paste from a science website with no real understanding of what it proves? Really annoying and pathetic tbh. 1,000,000,000 systems? Post back when we've "scanned" just 100 of those.


My point is that the sure size of the universe means its likely teaming with life but its so far apart that we will likely never know about them. The 1,000,000,000 figure I choose was based on say
1 in a billion solar systems volumes having a world with intelligent life. And their being about 3.37 x 10e30 of such 1 in a billion worlds.



TechnoMonk
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,313
Location: Stoke, uk

24 Jan 2007, 10:06 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
TechnoMonk wrote:
Yes it's a big place, yes there are a lot of planets out there, but we still know so little about how life started (outside of useless unprovable theories). Who is to say that life doesn't start up in every single star system with planets like ours? Wow, the stupidity of those equations absoutely astounds me. What exactly are you proving? That you can cut and paste from a science website with no real understanding of what it proves? Really annoying and pathetic tbh. 1,000,000,000 systems? Post back when we've "scanned" just 100 of those.


My point is that the sure size of the universe means its likely teaming with life but its so far apart that we will likely never know about them. The 1,000,000,000 figure I choose was based on say
1 in a billion solar systems volumes having a world with intelligent life. And their being about 3.37 x 10e30 of such 1 in a billion worlds.



Sorry for the attitude. I was just saying that there's very little point in speculating either way. I saw these formulas in the recent news article and the only thing I could think of was that there's simply no point in said formulas. A lot of information is put out by the scientific community as fact, only to be disproven the week after. You eventually realise that some things just can't be predicted.



snake321
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2006
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,250

25 Jan 2007, 12:31 am

xon wrote:
snake321 wrote:
But we already have evidence here on earth to support my point that life can adopt to different atmospheres. We have land animals, and we have water animals. Same goes for plants too (hell there might even be intelligent plant life somewhere for all we know).


Yes but at a higher level you have to start looking at things like the water cycle, nitrogen cycle, carbon cycle, etc.


Why? Those conditions might affect earth life, but we don't know anything about how alien life adopts, it took us thousands of years to adopt and evolve to our environment, who is to say that they couldn't adopt and evolve to a DIFFERENT environment over thousands of years? Evolution adapts to it's surroundings. So seeing as earth science doesn't neccessarily apply to alien worlds or alien life, for all we know something could live on Jupiter, or pluto.



Flagg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 8 Nov 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,657
Location: Western US

25 Jan 2007, 1:19 am

It's quite possible life could be made from other chemicals. There are at least 8 chemicals on the table elements that form complex bonds with other atoms of the same element. (Basis for life)



ahayes
Banned
Banned

User avatar

Joined: 2 Dec 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,746

25 Jan 2007, 1:25 am

From: siti.nocrew.org

Code:
While the SETI project is spending their time on searching for intelligent life on other planets in the Universe, which is indeed a noble project, we have come to the conclusion that we first need to find intelligent life on our own planet, the Earth.

We believe this to be a much more time consuming and difficult task than the SETI project. Through the thousands of years human kind has walked the surface of the Earth, there have been far more proof of stupidity and fools than that of intelligent life. However, we do believe that there is intelligent life somewhere on the Earth, even if it would be in some unreachable place for the common people. The population of our planet is so large that the probability of intelligence in some of it is very likely. Myths and legends speak of great people in throughout the history, but we can't rely on such non-scientific sources of information. We need actual proof.

We cannot yet disclose the methods we have for this project. Neither can we present our results to the public at this point. Further into the project's time line, there will be more information about our progress and possible results, if there indeed is any intelligent life on this planet.

In the future, we hope to devel a way for you to help us in this project, in a sub project we'd like to call [email protected]

Ideas and comments on the SITI project can be sent to the project coordinator, Tomas Berndtsson at [email protected]

 

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, cause there's bugger all down here on Earth."
Eric Idle, The Galaxy Song



headphase
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Dec 2006
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 728
Location: NC, USA

25 Jan 2007, 6:04 pm

Isn't this "we're not intelligent here" bit getting pretty cliche?



unityemissions
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 162

26 Jan 2007, 11:10 am

We are products of the universe. Can something unintelligent create intelligence? I take a holistic approach to this thought thinking that if we do not see something as intelligent we are simply looking from the wrong lens or scale or perspective. When I was young, my aunt who is a school teacher gave me one of my first bits of true knowledge. She said "There is water everywhere in the Universe, and where there is water there is life!". It just makes you think.


_________________
Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day.
--Thomas Jefferson --


janicka
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2006
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,174
Location: Mountain Paradise

26 Jan 2007, 6:48 pm

Intelligent life does not currently exist in the White House.



Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Apr 2006
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,295
Location: Right behind you...

26 Jan 2007, 6:55 pm

As Eric Idle said in his "Galaxy Song"

Eric Idle wrote:
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
'Cos there' bugger all down here on Earth.


_________________
(No longer a mod)

On sabbatical...