This is true. 31%  31%  [ 5 ]
I don't get it. 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
I don't think, show me the results. 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 16

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 9:51 am

So I was considering how an anthem can define a nation, and so decided to translate some lyrics into plain English:

America:
Flag (Star Spangled Banner)

Can you see this morning what we saw last night?
The flag we had during the battle?
Explosions.
They allow us to see flags.
Can you see the flag?
Over this country?

In dirty seawater
The English are arrogant
What is that?
What IS that?
In the morning, WHAT IS IT?
I can see it...
Oh it's our flag again.
Over this country.

Where are those
that during war
swore a country can't retreat (?)
Washing with blood is eco-friendly.
Slaves can't hide
From fear and death.
The flag.
Over this country.

For freedom
Engage in wars.
No wars here.
Worship God.
Conquer.
We trust God!
The flag.
Wave it.
——————————————————————————————

England:
Queen (God save the Queen)

Our Queen owns.

Give her things.
She's the law.
Our Queen owns.

God, destroy others.

Help us conquer the world.

Protect the Queen

Make Marshall Wade win.

Hush sedition
move swiftly,
Crush the Scottish.
God save the Queen!

Australia:
Emigrate here if you like (Advance Australia Fair)

Party!
Because we're young!
We have land and wealth
Sea surrounds us
We have wildlife
lots of it.
We want a good history
For Austrlia.

Sing
Australia

Under the stars
We’ll toil
To make here
A good place
Emigrate here
if you like.
Work together
for Australia

Sing
Australia

Russia:
Individuals are important (Patriotic Song)

It's holy
Our country
Strong willed
cool, huh?

Chorus:

Fatherland
Patriarchy
Tradition
;Awesome

Our land
It's huge
But individuals are important

God protects us!

Chorus

Massive country
Getting bigger
Be patriotic
Forever!

Chorus

So, a good representation of the countries involved?

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 1:28 pm

This is amazing and I endorse it fully.

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 2:22 pm

More proper than the nationalistic zeal that the real anthems are derived from.

National Anthems are an anachronistic vestige of times long gone. They are outdated, and need to be done away with. We live in a global village, and holding on to national identities is harmful to the world society.

A national anthem "inspires national pride" makes one proud of where they come from. But isn't EARTH where they come from? Isn't Human who they are? Why sub-define yourself based on WHERE you were born. It would make more sense to sub-define yourself by your beliefs, your actions, your goals, your desires, your job.... something YOU set, not some accident of birth.

Also... Ever notice that national anthems that claim... say freedom, are the nations that least respect freedom?
Or the importance of the individual? Give the least real value to the individual.
Countries that have enacted constitutions and laws to separate state and church, still yammer on about god.

We put too much pride in things that were already decided for us... and very little pride in what we ourselves make and do.
The national anthem is a great resource to the specific nation that it represents, but it is a liability to those individuals whom that nation is comprised of.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 3:52 pm

Exclavius wrote:

National Anthems are an anachronistic vestige of times long gone. They are outdated, and need to be done away with. We live in a global village, and holding on to national identities is harmful to the world society.

A national anthem "inspires national pride" makes one proud of where they come from. But isn't EARTH where they come from? Isn't Human who they are? Why sub-define yourself based on WHERE you were born. It would make more sense to sub-define yourself by your beliefs, your actions, your goals, your desires, your job.... something YOU set, not some accident of birth.

Also... Ever notice that national anthems that claim... say freedom, are the nations that least respect freedom?
Or the importance of the individual? Give the least real value to the individual.
Countries that have enacted constitutions and laws to separate state and church, still yammer on about god.

We put too much pride in things that were already decided for us... and very little pride in what we ourselves make and do.
The national anthem is a great resource to the specific nation that it represents, but it is a liability to those individuals whom that nation is comprised of.

Because writing a song is considerably less expensive than teaching personal philosophy to the public :lol:.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 4:01 pm

Nobody I know actually knows anything beyond the first verse of our anthem anyway.

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 4:49 pm

Asmodeus ... yup.. it's brainwashing, and cheap brainwashing at that.

KaiG... Here in Canada the national anthem takes like 10 lines to write... at least the part that people know and use... however there are like 7 or 8 more verses that less than 1 in 1000 would even know about, much less know.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 7:03 pm

I don't even like our anthem's tune. I think "Rule Britannia" would be better, even though its contents are still pretty anachronistic and jingoistic.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 7:16 pm

KaiG wrote:
I don't even like our anthem's tune. I think "Rule Britannia" would be better, even though its contents are still pretty anachronistic and jingoistic.

I'd agree. Here:

We Rule (Rule Britannia)

God made
This land,
from sand.
Here's the rules,
(Approved by angels)

We rule!
We rule the seas!
We're no slaves!

We rule!
We rule the seas!
We're no slaves!

We're holier.
And you'll fail;
due to tyrants.
But we're awesome.
jealous?

We rule!
We rule the seas!
We're no slaves!

We rule!
We rule the seas!
We're no slaves!

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 1:15 am

The national anthem of Australia is "Advance Australia Fair" yet they only sing one or two verses. Here is the entire song which would no doubt be considered "raciest" in these politically correct days.

Australians all let us rejoice,
For we are young and free;
We've golden soil and wealth for toil,
Our home is girt by sea;
Our land abounds in Nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare;
In history's page, let every stage
Advance Australia fair!
In joyful strains then let us sing,
"Advance Australia fair!"

When gallant Cook from Albion sail'd,
To trace wide oceans o'er,
True British courage bore him on,
Till he landed on our shore.
Then here he raised Old England's flag,
The standard of the brave;
With all her faults we love her still,
"Brittannia rules the wave!"
In joyful strains then let us sing

Beneath our radiant southern Cross,
We'll toil with hearts and hands;
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands;
For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share;
With courage let us all combine
To advance Australia fair.

While other nations of the globe
Behold us from afar,
We'll rise to high renown and shine
Like our glorious southern star;
From England, Scotia, Erin's Isle,
Who come our lot to share,
Let all combine with heart and hand
To advance Australia fair!

Shou'd foreign foe e'er sight our coast,
Or dare a foot to land,
We'll rouse to arms like sires of yore
To guard our native strand;
Brittannia then shall surely know,
Beyond wide ocean's roll,
Her sons in fair Australia's land
Still keep a British soul.
In joyful strains the let us sing

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 3:46 am

Exclavius wrote:

We've still got something special going in America in spite of Obama, and there are a lot of other groups around the planet that I do not wish to have any common ground with, so I like my national anthem just fine! 8)

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 7:12 am

John_Browning wrote:
Exclavius wrote:

We've still got something special going in America in spite of Obama, and there are a lot of other groups around the planet that I do not wish to have any common ground with, so I like my national anthem just fine! 8)

See, dat brain washin' done got you good! 'Cause that special sumfin' dere is "intolerance."

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 7:18 am

Wombat wrote:
The national anthem of Australia is "Advance Australia Fair" yet they only sing one or two verses.

Indeed, I used the modern anthems in use as they are supposed to represent the countries involved, yet I could have done this with the Soviet Union's original anthem, which maintains the same tune and speaks of Lenin, Communism and selfless loyalty, to which the current is a response.

I'm open to suggestions of other anthems, they're almost like a little memetic package with the intentions of the country when they were written.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 9:16 am

John_Browning wrote:

Well you know what they say, ignorance is pure bliss.

Enjoy it while you can. 8)

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 10:45 am

http://www.theonion.com/video/restorati ... rri,17691/

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 11:18 am

Exclavius wrote:
See, dat brain washin' done got you good! 'Cause that special sumfin' dere is "intolerance."

No, it just means we don't share values with communists, terrorists, Abu Babus and other freaks of the Earth. We are free; they are not. We live in nice, well-kept towns, they live in caves and make their women wear burqas and marry nine-year-old girls.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 12:16 pm

Tequila wrote:
Exclavius wrote:

No, it just means we don't share values with communists, terrorists, Abu Babus and other freaks of the Earth. We are free; they are not. We live in nice, well-kept towns, they live in caves and make their women wear burqas and marry nine-year-old girls.

Oh, for a moment there I believed you actually thought it to be a dichotomy. :lmao: