Starbucks angers "gun violence" prevention groups.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

PM
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 12:37 pm

Starbucks ability to inadvertently cause comedy at the expense of others opinions continues to amaze:

http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate/2 ... -backfire/

(I know, obvious liberal undertones)

"BAN GUNS ON YOUR PROPERTY OR WE STOP COMING!"

"We are the most powerful coffee house on Earth, we can do whatever we want and still make insane profits!"

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 1:03 pm

I kinda like Starbucks more now. In all honesty, Starbucks has gotten to be much more realistic and better of an option for coffee since Dunkin Donut decided to raise all it's prices to absurd levels. I believe coffee, and even fancy schmancy drinks, are now cheaper at Starbucks and better quality.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 1:24 pm

All the coffee shops are crap. It is so yesteryear, like back in the nineties when Friends sitcom was popular.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

10 Aug 2013, 1:48 pm

Have any of these dumb liberal 'boycotts' ever accomplished anything? Usually when they talk about boycotting something it completely backfires and people go there just to stick it to them. See: Chick-Fil-A. This isn't even a real story, just an ongoing fantasy of those on the left that think they are 'winning' the debate on gun control and that public opinion is on their side. They honestly believe it's going to be a positive campaign issue for them next year. Michael Bloomberg is actually running anti-gun ads in conservative states, can you see how that might backfire?

BTW, Starbucks is probably salivating at the mouth to not have the hipster idiots sit in their chairs all day playing on laptops or reading books. They're not making money from you hanging out there, they make money from selling coffee.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 2:10 pm

You can't blame the actions of individuals on an inanimate steel object that fires bullets. If you want someone dead, you'll always find a way to kill them. There are as many households with weapons in Norway as there are in the US--and there are 600.000 illegitimate weapons shared between 5 million people. A whopping 4% of all murders here (if you overlook 2011 because of "you-know-what") are carried out by guns; the vast majority are carried out by either stabbing or strangulation. You're almost 20 times more likely to kill someone with the first object in the toolshed, garage or kitchen that looks like it would do the job nicely.

It's fairly easy to get the required ingredients for a bomb with a far more lethal potential than any gun. A bomb made out of diesel and fertilizer is also cheaper than most automatic weapons.

This was done with 50 kgs (rougly 110 lbs) of fertilizer and diesel:

[img][800:546]http://gfx.dagbladet.no/labrador/391/391579/3915797/jpg/active/960x.jpg[/img]

(If anyone wonders, it's from the war between Hells Angels and Bandidos in the 1990's in Scandinavia.)

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 2:24 pm

I didnt read the whole article since it rambled on too long about nothing.
I did pull out a few sentences to comment on:

Quote:
Still, the economic downside for Starbucks may be much greater than the company has let on. The current furor could explode into a nationwide call for a boycott.

There'll be little to nothing in the way of furor, let alone a boycot. Fewer people are drinking the gunz-r-bad cool aide, regardless of what some polls might say. That, or they just don't see it as something that would stop them from patronizing Starbucks.
What about the Virginia Beach pizza shop that gave discounts to customers who were armed? It didn't hurt their business.

Quote:
Opponents of the idea of sipping lattes next to folks carrying Bushmaster AR-15′s also have the right to voice their dissent.

:roll: Yeah, like people carry AR-15's around in public.

Last edited by Raptor on 10 Aug 2013, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 2:33 pm

The anti gun people have been losing their minds (such as they have) over this for years now, it's not news; gun people even make a point of putting $2 bills in the tip jars at Starbucks (for the 2nd Amendment, get it?). If I were a barista, I know which group I'd prefer to keep as customers.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 9:49 am

This thread reminds me that I have to start getting coffee from Starbucks more often.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 11:32 am

Starbucks respects local concealed carry laws (for or against), I don't see why this is a problem for some people. I have read several statements from the company to this regard.

oqobo
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Aug 2013, 12:26 pm

Regardless of whatever drama is happening at Starbucks, I don't need to go to the McDonalds of coffee shops. There are so many more interesting places to go.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 3:10 pm

Quote:
Thus far, everyone seems to be acting within their obvious constitutional rights. Starbucks is following applicable state gun laws — including “open carry” regulations – which permit customers to bring weapons into stores. Opponents of the idea of sipping lattes next to folks carrying Bushmaster AR-15′s also have the right to voice their dissent.

This issue must have started in Nicaraguan Starbucks locations. I try to think of the last time I was at a coffee house and was crowded out or almost tripped over the pile of contraband at the next table. We don't get contras nor militant Chechens much here (well...Boston being the only exception I can think of).

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 3:15 pm

I wonder if Sasha Baron Cohen will show up at a Starbucks with an ammo belt, rocket launcher, and a Wahhabi head and face wrap for a Hamas take-out order.