Page 5 of 12 [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2005, 10:27 pm

Interesting that you didn't quote the Dali Lama, and that I can't find anything in his writings concrete enough to confirm or debunk either.He never seems to address anyhting head-on.

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Well, the philosophy in that I think is that we really don't forget those things, just that we have memory of what we've learned blocked when we're here.

If memories of past lives are blocked, then what benifit do they serve, and what benifit would there be in living even more lives, when all knowledge is blocked and you never get to utilize any of the knowledge obtained in these past lives?

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2005, 10:30 pm

V111 wrote:
You are assuming there is a god to make ppl AS or anything for that matter. I see AS ppl as a random but rare gentic or brain type and find ways myself to deal with finding myself with that type brain heeh

Please elaborate. I'd be interested to hear more.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2005, 10:57 pm

Sean wrote:
Interesting that you didn't quote the Dali Lama, and that I can't find anything in his writings concrete enough to confirm or debunk either.He never seems to address anyhting head-on.

Well, it was really written by a psychologist who was interested in his philosophies and more or less doing interviews with the Dalai Lama. I get the impression that the book was more or less meant to be a insight into Tibetan Buddhism written in a way that an American could understand and appreciate.

Sean wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Well, the philosophy in that I think is that we really don't forget those things, just that we have memory of what we've learned blocked when we're here.

If memories of past lives are blocked, then what benifit do they serve, and what benifit would there be in living even more lives, when all knowledge is blocked and you never get to utilize any of the knowledge obtained in these past lives?

Well, the impression I get is that your body of knowledge and all the lives you've lived are probably on the other side and when you pass on you add this life's knowledge into that body of knowledge. Where you stand at that point would probably dictate what you'd be headed for next. To me I really get the impression that we have much deeper and richer identities than what we have here in this life and that it's the biology of humanity that keeps us from really expressing our true selves.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 3:34 pm

You still haven't said exactly where we are going that we can use all of this knowledge, or did Buddha not say?

Glasskitten
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 May 2005, 9:04 pm

I cannot think of anything meaningful to say on the past several pages of this thread, but I would like to reply to the very first post of it.
[quote=tom]I feel very suprised when I see Christian aspies on the net. I just don't understand how you could reconcile that belief with who you are. Seeing as lots of religious people believe God "speaks to them", does he ever provide an apology or explanation as to why some people have to have asperger's, or any condition or disability?[/quote]
Long before viewing this thread, I asked God about that myself. (How convenient.) In my particular situation, the answer was that he had intentionally created me to fit a number of specifications according to what he needed done on this Earth. I seem to have an unusual gift at writing (mostly fiction) and a slightly-more-usual ability to draw and utilize other creative media. My conclusion from this was that I am needed for my specific gifts--perhaps I will write a novel that will change the course of human destiny and such. It did not seem strange or illogical to me at all.
Similarly, Einstein was created for the times--where would we be if that particular Aspie had not been available to humanity in that time period?[/quote]

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 11:41 pm

Sean wrote:
You still haven't said exactly where we are going that we can use all of this knowledge, or did Buddha not say?

Completion of identity, completion of ourselves, pretty much the ultimate objective of the whole journey. It's something I kind of sense abstractly, it's really hard to put in a way if your asking for a practical straightforeward answer. Much like a lot of abstract concepts in life, the only way it can really click is if someone figures it out or arrives at a particular view point or feeling themselves.

I'm not trying to give you runarround, that's just how it is.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2005, 12:47 am

So, Buddha abandoned his wife and kids to go discover some deep, spiritual significance to life(s) and the universe that you must go discover for yourself anyway?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2005, 10:18 pm

Sean wrote:
So, Buddha abandoned his wife and kids to go discover some deep, spiritual significance to life(s) and the universe that you must go discover for yourself anyway?

Well, then again we don't know much about his wife either. Maybe if we did it might explain a lot :wink: .

Mithrandir
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2005, 1:32 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Sean wrote:

Well, then again we don't know much about his wife either. Maybe if we did it might explain a lot :wink: .

We can't forget the materialism as well.
I think that Budha left his family because he saw materialism and pleasure as a curse.
In a way it makes sense. Most of the harm done today is oriented in materialistic goals.

monastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2005, 2:37 pm

Sometimes I like to think that my life is similar to a virtual video game. I must make decisions that effect me later in "the game" and I pick up various skills along the way. I fight battles and use strategy to get through each "level" in the game of life.

If I was to be given a "game level" in which I would live out my lifetime, either the easy level (which would be very boring and uneventful) or the more difficult level (which would without doubt be more challenging and therefore more interesting) I would have to say I would hope for the more challenging and difficult level. Maybe some day when the "Big Score-keeper in the Sky" tallies up our scores, I will take pride in having made it through the most difficult levels without causing too much harm to myself or to others.

* Have I mentioned that I'm a Daydreamer? :lol:

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2005, 2:58 pm

monastic wrote:
Sometimes I like to think that my life is similar to a virtual video game.

That'll explain all the people who keep jumping on my head shouting "Is'sa me!" then.....

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2005, 10:58 pm

monastic wrote:
Sometimes I like to think that my life is similar to a virtual video game. I must make decisions that effect me later in "the game" and I pick up various skills along the way. I fight battles and use strategy to get through each "level" in the game of life.

If I was to be given a "game level" in which I would live out my lifetime, either the easy level (which would be very boring and uneventful) or the more difficult level (which would without doubt be more challenging and therefore more interesting) I would have to say I would hope for the more challenging and difficult level. Maybe some day when the "Big Score-keeper in the Sky" tallies up our scores, I will take pride in having made it through the most difficult levels without causing too much harm to myself or to others.

* Have I mentioned that I'm a Daydreamer? :lol:

gawd, I'd forgotten that was exactly how I used to feel, like I was stuck in a 'game'. There's a movie about that with Jennifer Jason Leigh, I forget what it's called...maybe someone else knows.

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2005, 1:00 am

Delete

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 May 2005, 5:28 pm

tom wrote:
I feel very suprised when I see Christian aspies on the net. I just don't understand how you could reconcile that belief with who you are. Seeing as lots of religious people believe God "speaks to them", does he ever provide an apology or explanation as to why some people have to have asperger's, or any condition or disability?[/i]

What does the word 'God' imply?

SM
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 May 2005, 11:23 am

berta wrote:
I am not religious, but I thought christian people were like; "Having a disability is a little mistake made by God, and we must pray for a miracle so that they can all be cured"
Maybe I have just watched too many movies.
But you have a good point chadmaster. It is certanly a gift in some ways, if I was NT I would do a lot of boring stuff without any substance. Beeing an aspie I think is where my creativity comes from.. or maybe not..

Many people think as a disability a mistake made by God, but in the Bible (God's Word), it says He does not make mistakes.
Having a disability is not a curse, but a gift, and you can use that to relate to others with it and realize things that others can not.

--God loves you, no matter what you ever do or who you are, He died for you because He loves you, and no one could ever express love better than that.--

SM
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 May 2005, 11:35 am

tom wrote:
Sean wrote:
All things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. -Romans 8:28

how is that relevant to asperger's?

All things have a good purpose, if you have asperger's, you can use that gift to help others and relate to them, and realize things other might not like that life is a gift and purpose, and that when God created you He had a purpose for you and a such a love for you that no one else can express, but dying for you and rising again.