Page 6 of 12 [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next

SM
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 May 2005, 11:45 am

tom wrote:
I wish I could have a faith in something, but I just feel that aspies aren't welcome to God.

No, anyone is welcome to God, He loves you no matter what you do or who you are. He loves your heart and who you really are, He doesn't turn you away because you have a disability or something else.
He will always love you no matter what you do or what you have, and He wants to have a one on one relationship with you, it says in the Bible (God's Word), it refers to a sheperd and his flock, but the sheep wandered away, He counted His sheep and there were 99 out of 100, He went to search for that sheep, even if you were the only person in the world, He would have still died on that cross for you, that's how much He loves you.

SM
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 May 2005, 11:57 am

TAFKASH wrote:
An eternity of this? Oh dear God no, please no I'll do anything - just please don't grant me eternal life..... :cry:

I can't wait for eternity because it will be nothing like this, there will be healing, no one growing old, no sickness and best of all I will be able to be in the presence of God and worshiping Him for as long as I want to without any interuptions like things on this earth, school, work etc.
I know nothing on this earth will ever satisfy me, but the love of God and the friendship I can have with Him is worth more than anything the world could ever give.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2005, 1:01 pm

tom wrote:
I wish I could have a faith in something, but I just feel that aspies aren't welcome to God.

How terribly sad.

Sometimes people make other people feel unwelcome but I have faith that God is better than that.

BeeBee

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2005, 7:16 am

I think God made all kinds of people and that includes autistic people, and I don't know all the specific reasons but it makes sense.

One of my favorite bible stories by the way is where God tells Moses to go do something, and Moses basically says "But I can't do that, I have trouble with speech," and God tells him a way to deal with it. God doesn't say "Here, I'm going to make you normal," it's more like "This is who you are and this is how you're going to deal with it in the real world."

ElfMan
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2005, 8:18 pm

anbuend wrote:

Quote:
One of my favorite bible stories by the way is where God tells Moses to go do something, and Moses basically says "But I can't do that, I have trouble with speech," and God tells him a way to deal with it. God doesn't say "Here, I'm going to make you normal," it's more like "This is who you are and this is how you're going to deal with it in the real world."

Yeah cool! I am not christian but I have appreciated Moses as a stutterer for a long time. I like the way you have put that.

Elfman's daily 'poor me' message, brought to you by "It's All About Me" free to air frequency.
Thankyou for you subscription!

Last edited by ElfMan on 22 May 2005, 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2005, 3:21 am

ElfMan wrote:
Quote:

Yeah cool! I am not christian but I have appreciated Moses as a stutterer for a long time. I like the way you have put that.

I totally agree, just that I see where society has really gotten shear in regards to a lot of this. The more people can shirk personal accountability for how that kind of logic is upheld, the more easily people can just be read on the eugenic genetic face-value level and held in "their place" from birth to death practically (then again in our case thats much more social than financial in most cases but still...I imagine you see where I'm going; even as an agnostic I definitely see the positive side of what religion does for enforcing societal values in respect to humanity and choice and effort driven views of peoples esteem vs. animalistic 'alpha genetics make right'). Seems like if people don't have that spur of "Huh, maybe I'll go to hell if I'm an a**hole to other people", they usually won't choose to be their best selves because they won't hold their heads on straight enough to even see the monetary long-terms benefits over the short term let alone get pleasure out of the purely altruistic societal gains of that sort of behavior.

Its like that Occam's Razor rule - people will go for the simplest and easiest path for the most gain; religion and IMO much of the bottom line right-wing conservative values are designed to be a natural internal control in terms of guiding that type of societal dynamic from the roots (ie. like the ten commandments, regardless of whether your secular or religious you can see how they just save a lot of drama in peoples lives and are just good common-sense rules of thum in dealing with the world regardless). Then again that same smooth flow-through I have between christian philosophy and social common sense is the same force which causes me to have a hard time fully believing that the bible wasn't just the work of some driven philosophers who felt they could make the world a better place by inventing a god and telling the world that something of a universal sheriff was presiding over their fates one and all (which in most cases and for many people thats necessary - the idea of doing something purely for the betterment of society unforutunatly seems like a recondit idea for too many people in too many cases).

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

sondadareas
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 May 2005, 9:33 pm

Hi to all,

Let me intrude here, please!

From time to time the world needs new insights, whether religious, philosophical, scientific, etc...& for that, a different kind of brain is necessary - the aspie brain!
The 1st monks & hermits of various religions were AS! And they founded the 1st monasteries of all types. They not only hated the crowds of the towns & cities but they did have religious insights which convinced them that the solitary life was an option as a life-style.
And the same can be said of scientists & philosophers - the normal brain is just not the type of brain for obsessive kind of jobs.

Peace,
sondadareas

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2005, 12:25 am

God made us aspies because he wanted at least some people to be able to understand and enjoy how screwed up and funny the rest of the world is.

pizzaboss
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2005, 11:23 am

I have faith in god. It was not god's intention to make us like this, this is just what we ended up like. In my opinion, god wants the best of us.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2005, 1:51 am

I don't believe there is an answer to the why question in any case. Why did god do this, why did god do that? I don't think god does anything because he has a purpose in mind. And i don't get all angsty and depressive thinking about it like that. I don't think we need a purpose to continue existing.

So when bad things happen to you, you may be pushed to ask why god let it happen. I don't think god had anything to do with it. It isn't gods job to prevent bad things from happening to you. As far as i can tell the only thing god is responsible for is existing. If you must believe that things have a purpose you could believe that god let it happen so you could learn more about yourself and the nature of the world.

TaliDaRadical
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jun 2005, 8:14 pm

Quote:
All things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. -Romans 8:28

Right on. Gotta love that quote. Why did God made us autistic? Why did God create racism and sexism, but minorities and women are often the strongest Christians? Because although God can create, Satan can corrupt. God wants the best for us, but Satan keeps trying to thwart Him. Look at all the wars and suffering wrought by man's greed, bigotry, and hatred. Look at all the sh-t wrought by NTs unto our people. There's nothing wrong with being autistic, just like there is nothing wrong with being gay, black, or a woman. We're just another oppressed group, oppressed by bigotry, which is from Satan.

fionaban
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jun 2005, 10:14 am

I agree totaly with TaliDaRadical.
God Bless
Fiona

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son so that whoever believes in him will not die but have everlasting life." John 3:16

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2005, 7:33 pm

Sometimes God moves in ways that we don't entirely understand. Like, losing your legs could seem like a bad thing at the time, but what if God wanted you to be in the Olympics doing wheelchair races, or to tell your story to sooth or help people, or to save people? People can't understand God at first sight. In my opinion, AS is a blessing, because if I didn't have AS, I wouldn't be interested in the same things I am now. I wouldn't be near as comitted or as hard working at all, and it would have had a huge difference in my life. Besides, children are one of God's greatest gifts, and if you were born with AS, God obviously wanted you to have AS for a reason. Could you name a single person in the world who doesn't struggle or have trials, but is happy and joyful all the time? Some things like blindness or loss of limbs or deafness, etc. could bear its fruit, yet have its drawbacks. But, people have made livings and have been famous and extremely successful with some disablilities, and AS is one of them.

PhoenixKitten
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2005, 3:15 am

Quote:

Wow... timeout! Bit of Bible-reading sounds helpful, cos it says there that God welcomes EVERYONE! Now. Free will. I don't think God MADE us to have Aspergers, I think it is a product of free will, that of us, our parents, our society. However, we can still come close to God through Aspergers. Personally, I think there is a lot of good to be said about being an Aspie, but for those of you who see it as a curse, God has a way of working through everything. For example, he didn't cause people I love to die, but he DID bring me through it, teaching me so many things I would not have ever understood if they hadn't died.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2005, 3:33 am

What the hell? Who's free will?

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2005, 4:03 am

free will is a guy who people believe in in leiu of understanding and knowing all the physics, chemistry, biology, psychology, and sociology necessary for life to not seem randomish or miraculous.