Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 3:06 pm

It is claimed that all inventions were made by Whites, and that Europeans are the only countries who give aids to Africa (which is false, a quick google search and you find China, Japan and S. Korea do send aids to Africa).

But does Europe really help Africa? And if yes, at what cost?

Here an excellent article explaining in detail, how in fact European countries steal from Africa about 3x more than their 'aids' :

Quote:
But there's also $203bn leaving the continent. Some of this is direct, such as $68bn in mainly dodged taxes. Essentially multinational corporations "steal" much of this - legally - by pretending they are really generating their wealth in tax havens. These so-called "illicit financial flows" amount to around 6.1 percent of the continent's entire gross domestic product (GDP) - or three times what Africa receives in aid.

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opini ... 31884.html

The source report : http://www.globaljustice.org.uk/sites/d ... 6149d72169

Inflows Latest available
annual figure
Net private grants $11.8 billion
Decrease in international
reserve holdings $20.7 billion
Loans to governments $32.8 billion
Loans to private sector
(FDI and non-FDI) $20.6 billion
Net portfolio equity $7.2 billion
Net FDI equity $15.8 billion
Inward remittances $31.2 billion
Official aid from OECD $19.1 billion
Official aid from non-OECD
countries $0.6 billion
Debt interest received $1.8 billion
TOTAL $161.6 billion

OUTFLOWS Latest available
annual figure
Debt payments by governments $18.0 billion
Debt payments by private sector $9.8 billion
Increase in international
reserve holdings $0.0 billion
Multinational company profits $32.4 billion
Illicit financial outflows $67.6 billion
Outward remittances $3.8 billion
‘Brain drain’ $6.0 billion
Illegal logging $17.0 billion
Illegal fishing $1.7 billion
Illegal trade in wildlife/plants
and poaching $10.0 billion
Climate change adaptation costs $10.6 billion
Climate change mitigation costs $26.0 billion

TOTAL $202.9 billion

Net annual deficit: $41.3 billion

Last edited by The_Walrus on 23 May 2018, 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.: Removed personal attack in first sentence

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 6:28 pm

Europeans help Africa in some ways; hurt Africa in other ways.

Sometimes, the "help" could actually "hurt."

The way to really help Africa is to try to understand Africans better.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 9:35 pm

Yeah. I frequently see racists online who say "Africa is taking all of our money in foreign aid! Why don't we just cut all ties with them?"

That would drastically raise the price of chocolate. Chocolate used to be a luxury food. Nowadays, chocolate is everywhere because it's cheap. It's cheap because poor African people work their asses off making chocolate for extremely low wages.

Go on YouTube and search for "The Dark Side of Chocolate". African people work hard so that we don't have to.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Last edited by DarthMetaKnight on 23 May 2018, 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 2:28 am

I think one of the worst things we do is take their skilled labour. I think foreign aid just helps prop up corrupt failing regimes.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 2:30 am

Daniel89 wrote:
I think one of the worst things we do is take their skilled labour. I think foreign aid just helps prop up corrupt failing regimes.

And don't forget the arms deals with warring factions.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 2:37 am

Daniel89 wrote:
I think foreign aid just helps prop up corrupt failing regimes.

This is a problem in some cases.

There are some well-intentioned people who donate money to African governments, hoping that will help. This rarely works because most African leaders right now are greedy swine.

Most of the money that we give to Africa never even reaches the poor people that we are trying to help. African poverty is politically manufactured for the most part.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 May 2018, 2:41 am

Mod stuff:

- One element of the OP seemed to be resuming an argument from a locked thread. This could have been considered a thinly-veiled personal attack.
- The target of the attack responded back with personal attacks that weren't veiled at all.
- All in all, the bickering took up over half the thread when I opened it.

So:

- I thought I should lock the thread, but didn't want to disrupt the good elements of the discussion.
- Instead, I edited out the swipe in the OP.
- I also deleted two posts which were irredeemable.

Please don't carry on that conversation or make any further personal attacks. Thanks. If anyone wants to discuss this further then feel free to message me.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 3:08 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The way to really help Africa is to try to understand Africans better.

That would be hard ... or perhaps impossible.

The average Westerner doesn't understand Africa very well. This is because Africa is a continent 30,370,000 km squared in size. African history goes back 5,300 years. Africa is a very diverse place, containing different cultures, ethnicities, languages, religions, and political structures. Providing a complete summary of Africa would take all day ... or longer.

Despite this, most Westerners like to boil down Africa to simplistic stereotypes. When most Westerners think of Africa, they think of "starvin' Marvins", spears, mud huts, and child soldiers. Africa is a complex place, and so it's much easier to see it as a continent full of blackface caricatures taken out of the Censored Eleven.

I'm not sure if the average person is stupid or intellectually lazy. Either way, it's hard for me to approach this issue without losing my temper. That's why I'm obsessed with Triassic reptiles now.

I'm just patiently waiting for humanity to create its own extinction at this point. Hopefully, the squibbons who dig up our remains will learn from our failure.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 5:41 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:

There are some well-intentioned people who donate money to African governments, hoping that will help. This rarely works because most African leaders right now are greedy swine.

Most of the money that we give to Africa never even reaches the poor people that we are trying to help. African poverty is politically manufactured for the most part.

A British politician has said a better alternative might be a sovereign wealth fund that invests in developing economies. I think that's a good idea. Most governments do not want Africa to develop they don't want competition and they want their companies to be able to plunder its natural resources.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 5:47 am

Daniel89 wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:

A British politician has said a better alternative might be a sovereign wealth fund that invests in developing economies. I think that's a good idea. Most governments do not want Africa to develop they don't want competition and they want their companies to be able to plunder its natural resources.

Also, there are many Western corporations that perpetuate African slavery because they profit off of it.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 May 2018, 9:49 am

Daniel89 wrote:

There's a very compelling case that taking skilled labour helps more than it harms. A skilled worker living and working in a rich country earns much more money and is usually much more productive than they would be at home. That means they can afford to support more relatives, and the money they send home stimulates the local economy.

Some high-profile (and somewhat extreme) examples are footballers: look at the number of people supported by Emmanuel Adebayor, Ulises de la Cruz, or Benoit Assou-Ekotto for example. But even ordinary skilled professionals send a lot of money back, and also pick up knowledge which they can bring back if and when they return home.

Remitted money is more effective than donated aid, which as you say often gets hoovered up by corruption. Targeted aid can work, particularly when used to stimulate the local economy, or deal with an immediate disaster, or to do long-term good, but it's not going to solve the big problems on its own. The sovereign wealth fund suggestion is good, but potentially doesn't deal with issues like combatting malaria or providing clean water.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 9:52 am

I believe building wells in villages and cities, and improving the road networks of countries, would be of great benefit.

One of the main reasons why countries are isolated and "backward" is because of the state of their roads.

Going 50 kilometers in 11 hours in a four-wheel-drive vehicle just doesn't cut the mustard.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 May 2018, 9:58 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I believe building wells in villages and cities, and improving the road networks of countries, would be of great benefit.

One of the main reasons why countries are isolated and "backward" is because of the state of their roads.

Going 50 kilometers in 11 hours in a four-wheel-drive vehicle just doesn't cut the mustard.

You've got that right. This is particularly a problem for landlocked countries, and particularly ones which have to go through other poor countries in order to get to the sea. They can't do much shipping, so international trade is very hard. They have to rely on air travel, which is also usually very bad.

Give these countries decent roads and railways, and build international railways linking ports to major inland cities. Make them safe from terrorism and give governments an incentive to keep them properly maintained.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 10:05 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:

There's a very compelling case that taking skilled labour helps more than it harms. A skilled worker living and working in a rich country earns much more money and is usually much more productive than they would be at home. That means they can afford to support more relatives, and the money they send home stimulates the local economy.

Some high-profile (and somewhat extreme) examples are footballers: look at the number of people supported by Emmanuel Adebayor, Ulises de la Cruz, or Benoit Assou-Ekotto for example. But even ordinary skilled professionals send a lot of money back, and also pick up knowledge which they can bring back if and when they return home.

Remitted money is more effective than donated aid, which as you say often gets hoovered up by corruption. Targeted aid can work, particularly when used to stimulate the local economy, or deal with an immediate disaster, or to do long-term good, but it's not going to solve the big problems on its own. The sovereign wealth fund suggestion is good, but potentially doesn't deal with issues like combatting malaria or providing clean water.

Yes that's true, Africans send more money home than Africa receives in charity. Those educated skilled workers though are the ones who are most likely to enact a positive political change.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 10:44 am

Daniel89 wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:

Yes that's true, Africans send more money home than Africa receives in charity. Those educated skilled workers though are the ones who are most likely to enact a positive political change.

Africans pay the highest fees to wire money to their home; and I doubt that they compensate the outflow.

Also they need local skilled people to invest in those money wisely - which they lack.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 10:50 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Make them safe from terrorism and give governments an incentive to keep them properly maintained.

How?