Page 9 of 9 [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 5:44 pm

sliqua-jcooter wrote:
visagrunt wrote:
I suggest that you read 5 U.S.C. § 552a, otherwise known as the Privacy Act, 1974. This act prohibits precisely the type of disclosure that you posit.

The privacy act only comes into play for a federal registry, not a state-run registry. Given Printz v. United States, it seems to follow that, at the very least some of the gun registries would end up being state-run.

That would depend entirely on how the regulations are written. It would boil down to who in congress needs to have their votes bought, the state's rights crowd or the bigger is better crowd.
To be honest with you, the Republicans should be the ones working on firearm legislation. That way it isn't just rammed through without any input. If there were some hardcore NRA members involved in the process, then there would be a much better chance of reasonable firearm legislation passed. It would also help the Republicans shake off some of the image problems they are having, especially among the moderate crowd. But the NRA spends too much money lobbying for zero gun regulation to focus on anything else and the Repubs that are benefiting from the NRA are too short sighted to even consider it.

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 5:48 pm

sonofghandi wrote:
That would depend entirely on how the regulations are written. It would boil down to who in congress needs to have their votes bought, the state's rights crowd or the bigger is better crowd.

You need to read the decision - that decision resulted in the ability for states to run their own background check system and ignore the Brady Act provisions. It stands to reason that the states that implement their own background check system will also implement their own gun registry, and will be constitutionally protected to do so.

redriverronin
Toucan
Toucan

15 Oct 2013, 5:50 pm

No and yes because the people who want to control guns don't look at things logically or rationally they just want their people elected. The best way for them to do that is with ignorant and emotional laws that are as effective as putting a band aid on a snake bite. They don't want to help people they want their ideology excepted as the savior of the world the new god. Well that's what it looks like to me and many other people I have talked to. Iam also pretty sure that you have helped a lot of people here make intelligent and logical decisions when it come to guns.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 5:55 pm

sliqua-jcooter wrote:
sonofghandi wrote:

You need to read the decision - that decision resulted in the ability for states to run their own background check system and ignore the Brady Act provisions. It stands to reason that the states that implement their own background check system will also implement their own gun registry, and will be constitutionally protected to do so.

If the Republicans wrote and passed a gun registry act putting the registry into federal jurisdiction, it would not likely be brought to the SC. If the Democrats passed it, that would be a different story altogether.

And do you really think the NSA couldn't figure out who the majority of the gun owners are, anyway?

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 6:01 pm

sonofghandi wrote:
If the Republicans wrote and passed a gun registry act putting the registry into federal jurisdiction, it would not likely be brought to the SC. If the Democrats passed it, that would be a different story altogether.

Both are incorrect - SCOTUS has already decided on this issue, and Congress won't even draft a law that they know is going to be unconstitutional - so any law that is introduced will either allow or compel the states to run their own registry.

Quote:
And do you really think the NSA couldn't figure out who the majority of the gun owners are, anyway?

The NSA is not the all-powerful boogeyman - if you don't talk about it, they don't know about it.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 7:02 pm

sliqua-jcooter wrote:
sonofghandi wrote:
Quote:

The NSA is not the all-powerful boogeyman - if you don't talk about it, they don't know about it.

But most do talk about it.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 6:41 am

Dox47 wrote:
I can cut and paste infographics too:
[img][800:2900]http://truthaboutguns.zippykid.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/GunFactsInfographic1.jpg[/img]

Did that sway anyone?

Yep, it sure dose sway me. We need to do something about tobacco use and medical malpractice in this country. Those problems are as out of control as our gun problem is.

redriverronin
Toucan
Toucan

18 Oct 2013, 5:59 am

Max000 wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
I can cut and paste infographics too:
[img][800:2900]http://truthaboutguns.zippykid.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/GunFactsInfographic1.jpg[/img]

Did that sway anyone?

Yep, it sure dose sway me. We need to do something about tobacco use and medical malpractice in this country. Those problems are as out of control as our gun problem is.

Whats it like living in in your world do they have deserts there or not because I think fatting foods might kills more people than guns do. So in your world their must be a laws to protect us from everything.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 12:24 pm

One small question for LKL: What's the purpose of martial arts in general? And Aikido in particular?

I thought of it because arguing that guns are made to kill living beings or destroy things could be equivalent to arguing that martial arts purpose is to fight other people and winning. People who like going to shooting ranges don't shoot people yes, and martial arts are a nice way to exercise and relax (they are actually relaxing in a strange way :lol:) but on the other hand, the fact that guns are meant to be weapons, and martial arts real origin as a way to have the upper hand in combat, is undeniable.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 12:58 pm

Shatbat wrote:
One small question for LKL: What's the purpose of martial arts in general? And Aikido in particular?

I thought of it because arguing that guns are made to kill living beings or destroy things could be equivalent to arguing that martial arts purpose is to fight other people and winning. People who like going to shooting ranges don't shoot people yes, and martial arts are a nice way to exercise and relax (they are actually relaxing in a strange way :lol:) but on the other hand, the fact that guns are meant to be weapons, and martial arts real origin as a way to have the upper hand in combat, is undeniable.

The purpose of martial arts is to fight other people and win, but the purpose of aikido is pretty strictly self-defensive; one takes either the attacker's energy and uses it to move them, or the attacker's vulnerability by attaching themself to you (e.g. , grabbing your wrist). It's pretty hard to do good aikido techniques without a sincere attack. The goal is to get good enough that one can control and restrain an attacker without hurting them.