Christians to Atheists; "We Don't Want Your Help!"

Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 7:47 am

The heart of the story:

Upstate Atheists - whose slogan is "Charity Beyond Belief" - has been told by the Christian-run Spartanburg Soup Kitchen that they are not welcome to volunteer there because their mission is counter to the mission of the Soup Kitchen, so the Upstate Atheists set up across the street from the soup kitchen last weekend and handed out 300 care packages containing food, toothpaste, socks, ponchos and more with the help of approximately 25 volunteers. Upstate Atheists is actively involved with other local charities and volunteer events and, according to their social media director, the group doesn't think community outreach needs to be tied to religion.

A leader of the Christian soup kitchen was quoted as saying, "They can have the devil there with them, but they better not come across the street!"

< Link to Source Article >

Since when is it the devil's work to hand out free food and toiletries to the homeless? :roll: Christians ... PFEH!

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 7:56 am

Since when is there such competition to be charitable.

To me, the atheists are just being "in your face jerks" competing for what?

Some humility is in order me thinks.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 8:01 am

Dont get it at all. Around here, as long as you want to help, you are welcome to every kind of charity. Worst thing ever happened, was a co-scout getting politely and friendly asked by the priest, if he could wear maybe another T-shirt the next day, when helping on a street market in a scout-group. So noone of us was aware of it before, because of us only asocciating it with music, but it was a Metal T-shirt with that typical pentagramm in it, and a devils/goatface within, with lighning stuff and so on.

So it was understandable for us, that this might not be the right dresscode for official church streetmarket helper. But never would I have heard, that helpers would have been denied, because of them being atheistic.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 8:19 am

GregCav wrote:
Since when is there such competition to be charitable.

To me, the atheists are just being "in your face jerks" competing for what?

Some humility is in order me thinks.

The atheists were not being "in your face" at all. They tried to volunteer at the soup kitchen simply because they wanted to help and they had even said that they wouldn't advertise that they were atheists, yet the soup kitchen flat out told them that they weren't allowed to help. That's why they set up shop there, because they weren't allowed in the soup kitchen, not because they were "competing". Personally, I think that the head of the soup kitchen should be the one to show humility and actually apologise to them.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 8:50 am

Well, there's some happy poor people in Spartanburg.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 9:02 am

Fnord wrote:
The heart of the story:

Upstate Atheists - whose slogan is "Charity Beyond Belief" - has been told by the Christian-run Spartanburg Soup Kitchen that they are not welcome to volunteer there because their mission is counter to the mission of the Soup Kitchen, so the Upstate Atheists set up across the street from the soup kitchen last weekend and handed out 300 care packages containing food, toothpaste, socks, ponchos and more with the help of approximately 25 volunteers. Upstate Atheists is actively involved with other local charities and volunteer events and, according to their social media director, the group doesn't think community outreach needs to be tied to religion.

A leader of the Christian soup kitchen was quoted as saying, "They can have the devil there with them, but they better not come across the street!"

< Link to Source Article >

Since when is it the devil's work to hand out free food and toiletries to the homeless? :roll: Christians ... PFEH!

The generosity of these Atheists are not leading the hungry and poor to the salvation of Christ.

Clearly this is the work of the Devil, the Enemy.

ruveyn

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Oct 2013, 10:09 am

If anyone is interested, this event has been discussed in a recent four page thread as well: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt243344.html

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 10:11 am

Thanks, Wally!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 10:12 am

^^^^I was about to post the same thing.... :?

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 10:20 am

It must've been the soap.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 10:20 am

"They better not cross the street?"What are the Christians gonna do,throw stones?Burn someone at the stake?

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 10:53 am

Misslizard wrote:
"They better not cross the street?"What are the Christians gonna do,throw stones?Burn someone at the stake?

Actually, there should be cause for alarm. Making soup is *serious business*:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 12:19 pm

They could decide to crusade, they might cross the street and attack.
I hope the atheists are well prepared,with mace or pepper spray.
But if it's like a Jimmy Swaggart crusade,only the women will need the mace.Extra strength bear mace.

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 4:28 pm

I believe the Atheists are competing for something, self-gratitude or something.

I re-read the article. It's clear the soup kitchen were confrontational that's true. It's also true that they are a private organisation with a religious centre to their mission. It is not a public charity, (they give to the public, but they are not open to the public). They can allow or disallow anybody to work for them just like any other private business. Charity or not, they are basically a club. They don't "have" to accept someone who wants to help.

Now for me the question is:
Why did the Atheists set up across the street (in direct competition)?
Why do they try to "out charity" the soup kitchen?
And why do they bring this issue to the attention of the media?

For me the answer to these questions points to self-centred attention seekers who want to demean the soup kitchen Christians.

UndeadToaster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Oct 2013, 6:07 pm

GregCav wrote:
I believe the Atheists are competing for something, self-gratitude or something.

I re-read the article. It's clear the soup kitchen were confrontational that's true. It's also true that they are a private organisation with a religious centre to their mission. It is not a public charity, (they give to the public, but they are not open to the public). They can allow or disallow anybody to work for them just like any other private business. Charity or not, they are basically a club. They don't "have" to accept someone who wants to help.

Now for me the question is:
Why did the Atheists set up across the street (in direct competition)?
Why do they try to "out charity" the soup kitchen?
And why do they bring this issue to the attention of the media?

For me the answer to these questions points to self-centred attention seekers who want to demean the soup kitchen Christians.

Nobody is arguing that the soup kitchen didn't have the right to do what they did. Legality does not equal morality. The atheists were not competing directly with the soup kitchen; they were giving out care packages with more than just food. That was a good place to go to reach people anyway, because of the already established soup kitchen. They are upset that their attempts to help are being refused and what people to know that atheists can be decent people as well.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 7:06 pm

I linked to this and Fnord participated in that thread. Huh?