10 000 dead as city of Tacloban razed to ground by Typhoon

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 4:38 pm

I hope President Aquino enjoys the comfort of his presidential palace as he watches things unfold in the Eastern Visayas.

Clearly, a government that allows starving people to live amongst puddles of sewage water in areas which has the same hygienic standards as waste disposal sites does not care for its own people.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/n ... n-dead-aid

My deviant art profile

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 6:26 pm

Is that comment supposed to be linked to the article :?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 7:42 pm

Magneto wrote:
Is that comment supposed to be linked to the article :?

Doubtful.

Aking mga saloobin at panalangin pumunta out sa mga na ang mga buhay ay devastated sa pamamagitan ng Typhoon Yolanda. Maaaring ang iyong lunas dumating sa lalong madaling panahon, at maaaring ang iyong pamilya ay maibabalik.

I've already cut a cheque to help with the relief effort.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 8:52 pm

Apparently, some conspiricist nutters have posted videos somewhere that allegedly provide "proof" that Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda was caused by microwave bursts and/or HAARP emissions.

I won't give such nonsense the dignity of a link.

University of the Philippines scientist and professor Dr. Mahar Lagmay debunks the claims HERE.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 9:29 pm

The Filipino army showed up, their first priority was to prevent looters from taking food from shops rather than ensuring everyone has enough to eat.

My deviant art profile

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 9:43 pm

Here's an article some of the more positive things in the beginning stages:
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?secti ... id=9321604

There might also be some possibilities for people set up to give money over the Internet, which I am not.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 9:57 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
Here's an article some of the more positive things in the beginning stages:
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?secti ... id=9321604

There might also be some possibilities for people set up to give money over the Internet, which I am not.

For those who donate, be careful which agency you send the money through. The Philippines is notorious for corruption and politicians there think nothing of helping themselves to aid donations.

The Red cross is probably a good place to start.

My deviant art profile

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 10:30 pm

After Katrina hit New Orleans in 2005, I remember reading a brief account that employees at a Waffle House on one of the main evacuation routes West were able to keep the restaurant going for a while with a limited menu. And I love this kind of stuff.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 3:18 am

thomas81 wrote:
The Filipino army showed up, their first priority was to prevent looters from taking food from shops rather than ensuring everyone has enough to eat.

Your point? Do remember that making sure people have food to eat is contingent upon there being food to eat.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 9:23 am

Magneto wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

Your point? Do remember that making sure people have food to eat is contingent upon there being food to eat.

The point is people need food now, and the army have been shooting at people for doing nothing more than trying to survive. This is not like London or New York with a few rowdy protestors or rioters, there is a damn famine going on.

If the government and army had a modicum of decency they would appropriate the food from the shops rather than trying to defend abandoned retailers that aren't even in business.

My deviant art profile