Page 6 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 7:11 pm

Jacoby wrote:
What % of aborted pregnancies are from rape? I can't imagine it's that high, the same with incest. How common is it that carrying a pregnancy to term poses a serious health risk to the mother? There are a lot of red herrings in the abortion debate, very few try to defend on demand nature of it and just highlight the horror stories instead.

I believe abortion should only be tolerated in extraordinary circumstances, rape being one of those. The way I rationalize it is because aggression has been taken against the mother and since the mother didn't consent, she can't be expected to take responsibility. Think of it as the distinction between self defense and murder. This makes pragmatic sense since it still opposes the vast vast majority of abortions and takes away the most powerful argument pro-abortion have.

The most powerful pro-abortion argument is that you should mind your own god damn business instead of telling women whether they should have an abortion or not. I haven't seen anyone take this argument away, so far.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 7:14 pm

AutisticMillionaire wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
No I'm right you give no arguments why I'm wrong just emotions.

Unless you are doing everything to prevent rape, you have no right to limit Abortions of those who are raped.

You are wrong to assume that about everyone, you refuse to consider another's point, and you've only restated your previous points over and over as if I am stupid. Seems we are both playing the no you are no you are game if you are even correct at all.

Well you are being stupid, obviously. Look at how you immediately become insulting. You never addressed a point, sorry you really looked like an idiot. At least I gave reasons, if we are both playing that game...I'm winning.

appletheclown wrote:
My point, my argument, was the fact that you were being an arse. I was not even talking about the stupid abortion crap, it was the fact you act as if people who dissagree with you should nto be listened to. I've listened to your infuriating child like style of chewbacca defense, please don't be so selective next time, and you wont look so bad.

Boohoo another whiner calling me an ass... :twisted: when he can't argue a point. Learn what a chewbacca defense is, and give a point or shut up. I'm more than willing to hear any point you have? I've heard you give no solutions, I'm not bullying you I'm dismissing you as a child to come up with any solutions. Prove me wrong boy...tell my evil soul what the right solution is.

Well? What's your point lad, do you expect every woman raped to have an abortion? Because that's what the debate is son. If your having another conversation I can't help you, maybe a shrink could though lol. :D

(I'm being good) Do you expect them (The victim) to carry any financial burden? Do you accept abortion for medical reasons?

Should they miss school, career goals?...should a female lawyer take off her case? What's your solution? I'm not shutting you down I'm asking questions.

Should a woman cancel vacations, what more does she need to do tell us all please. ?? I'm all ears.

Please explain to me how this can be done in real life, All I see is abortion as a solution, you see another? Tell me how that would work. Try acting a bit more civilly son, no one likes a brat. I'm waiting on the edge of my seat for you to fix the world.

My gosh, well obviously When I say My point, my argument (THE POINT), was the fact that you were being an arse. I was not even talking about the stupid abortion crap, it was the fact you act as if people who dissagree with you should nto be listened to. and you still don't know what my point is, I don't know what to think. I'm not your Polish brother, so stop calling me brother in Polish.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 8:12 pm

sonofghandi wrote:
Yes, if a woman has sex, pregnancy is a possible outcome. No, that does not make it a requirement for said woman to have the baby as some sort of punishment. If a smoker develops lung cancer, should we deny medical treatment because they were the ones who decided to smoke?

Getting pregnant should not be compared to developing lung cancer. That is disgusting.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 9:21 pm

The percentage is not alot, but that's the issue. We are talking about it in context with rape. Your point is reasonable, and I agree with it. I made the self defense point myself. Great point!! !! !!

I'm not arguing Abortion is always good, I believe it is a mortal sin...personally but regardless of my opinion I support others rights. I don't base my politics on my morality, or my religion. I base it on my self-interests and personal freedoms.

You say abortion is not always good, and believe it is a mortal sin. God should come before that pal. I am not seeing you as all bad, just really really annoying.

Mamselle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Dec 2013, 9:43 pm

GGPViper wrote:
The most powerful pro-abortion argument is that you should mind your own god damn business instead of telling women whether they should have an abortion or not. I haven't seen anyone take this argument away, so far.

I keep telling them, they're not listening. :)

No matter what percentage of abortions are the result of rape or incest, 100 percent of them are the exclusive business of the woman involved, PERIOD.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

09 Dec 2013, 11:27 pm

what about the child?

Mamselle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Dec 2013, 12:55 am

What child?

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 2:14 am

Ganondox wrote:
No, humans are not of any danger of dying out, so that vegetarian metaphor is more appropriate. Still, the vegetarians very well could be right, and they are trying to make legal and social change. One difference is how widespread meat eating vs abortion is. Also, not that I really accept these arguments, but someone could argue it's more natural to eat meat than have abortions. I personally I'm trying to gradually transition into vegetarianism.

I actually am a vegetarian, and the animal products that I do choose to consume are ethically based (pastured chickens for eggs (not just "free range," and grass-fed cows for dairy). However, I don't think that I have a right to impose my diet on other people. Wrt. what is "natural," I don't give a f**k; no medical care is natural. Having a dentist patch a cavity isn't "natural."

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
LKL wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
When having sex you are always taking a risk, that's life. You take risks, and you have to accept the consequences if the risk falls through. By if you don't have sex you don't have any risk of getting pregnant, so if you don't want to have any unwanted pregnancies you can just avoid having sex. This is what makes rape different. Now, for biological reasons that means guys don't have as much risk with sex, and that disadvantage is unfair and abortions overcome that, but that's a different debate.

That's like saying that when you drive, you should accept the 'consequences' if you get into a car crash and just limp along on a broken leg until it heals by itself, rather than seeking medical treatment (assuming that you don't die).
The 'risk' of driving is car accidents. We have medical treatment for people who get into car accidents.
The 'risk' of sex is pregnancy and STDs. We have medical treatments for people who get pregnant or acquire STDs.

False analogy, as their is no ethical burden with getting medical treatment for a broken leg. This is purely hypothetical, but say if it required, oh, baby panda livers to fix a broken leg, than the argument might be relevant. One must live with a broken leg because it's wrong to cut out baby panda's livers.

Ok, let's change the analogy a little bit and say that the driver's kid was in the car too, and the kid needs a chunk of liver because his got blown to smithereens by blunt-force-truama during the accident (not unheard of). Should the driver/dad be forced to donate a chunk of his liver to the kid, who will die without it, because he 'chose' to drive and 'chose' to put the kid in the car? The dad will probably survive the donation.
What if the 'kid' in question is a non-sentient, non-sapient blob of more-or-less organized tissue?

Yes. What parents wouldn't do that? If he was completely obliterated how would just giving him a chunk of liver save him anyway?

I said that the kid's liver was blown to smithereens, not the kid himself.
As far as donating a liver, most parents would of course choose to do so. The question is whether or not they should be forced to do so by weight of law: forcibly held in the hospital, forcibly sedated, forcibly cut open against their wills. 1/3 of pregnancies in the US end in c-sections, so that's not a far stretch for an analogy. The question, further, is whether or not a person should be forced to donate their body to a disorganized lump of tissues with which they have no connection other than a genetic one.

Quote:
What difference does biological dependence made? Infants are still physiologically depend on their mothers as they can't fend for themselves.

You are incorrect. Infants are physiologically dependent on caretakers, but not necessarily their mother, nor even necessarily any adult. The difference made by biological dependence is that the woman in question has the right to not donate her body to another organism if she does not want to.

Quote:
Say a woman goes into labor, is it okay for her to get an abortion rather than go through birth at that point? After-all, the baby hasn't technically been born yet.

When you have any evidence that this actually happens on any statistical level involving medical staff who are not sociopaths, and women who are not sociopaths, I will consider it relevant. Until then, you have no point.

Quote:
Might as well argue it's okay to kill diabetics because they can't naturally regulate their insulin levels.

If being a diabetic involved forcing another person to donate their pancreas for the manufacture of insulin, then yes: I would argue that the second person had the right to remove themselves at will as a life-support mechanism. Humans are not machines to be used by other organisms, regardless of the stage of development or the personhood in question.

Quote:
The humanity argument you are making is irrelevant as by human I wasn't referring to biologically human, but to being "people".

I don't think zefs are people.

Last edited by LKL on 10 Dec 2013, 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 2:18 am

91 wrote:
LKL wrote:
If there were a case where an infant (or, for that matter, any human being) were entirely dependent upon a single individual human, using that individual's body to support its own, restricting the individual's movement and enjoyment of life, then I would support that individual's right to remove him- or herself from the dependent infant or adult, even if it would mean the latter's death. I would support the individual's right to control their own body even if the dependent party was sapient, but all the more so if it wasn't even sentient.

Well the logically important factor is that the person who is dealing with the decision, almost always has a chance to avoid the event happening beforehand. Pro-choice chaps do themselves absolutely no good when they fail to acknowledge the reality that woman are generally pregnant because they chose to have sex. Technology does not guarantee them the opportunity to avoid that state and as responsible persons society has the right to ask people to live with the consequences of their decisions. Technology does however allow women and men to elect to evade their responsibility in those matters. To then claim a mandate for a inherent right is, to my mind, quite a stretch.

I think that a person who was bodily providing life support to another individual would have the right to remove themselves even if they had consciously volunteered to do so before hand.

Quote:
LKL wrote:
Our own bodies *are* our own property, with limitations; we cannot sell ourselves or our organs, for example. But I don't agree that privacy is intrinsically linked to ownership.

I would agree, which is why a woman's right to chose does not extend to her owning an independent human life that she helped to create.
[/quote]
It's not independent. It has no existence outside of her.

Quote:
Eventually it will become possible for the child to be viable at almost any point, then, I the technological changes will cast a very nasty shadow on the contemporary status-quo.

If it were possible to remove a zef from a woman at any stage of gestation, with no more danger to her than an abortion would cause, and place it into an artificial incubator, then the argument would be very different.

Last edited by LKL on 10 Dec 2013, 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 2:24 am

Ganondox wrote:
sonofghandi wrote:
Yes, if a woman has sex, pregnancy is a possible outcome. No, that does not make it a requirement for said woman to have the baby as some sort of punishment. If a smoker develops lung cancer, should we deny medical treatment because they were the ones who decided to smoke?

Getting pregnant should not be compared to developing lung cancer. That is disgusting.

why? They're both medical conditions, and for a woman who didn't want to get pregnant, the diagnosis can be just as devastating to hear.

Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 6:38 am

LKL wrote:
I think that a person who was bodily providing life support to another individual would have the right to remove themselves even if they had consciously volunteered to do so before hand.

You are a rather convenient libertarian.

Quote:
It's not independent. It has no existence outside of her.

That would be pretty much the textbook definition of an equivocation fallacy with regards to the term 'independent'.

Quote:
If it were possible to remove a zef from a woman at any stage of gestation, with no more danger to her than an abortion would cause, and place it into an artificial incubator, then the argument would be very different.

Future generations are going to judge us very harshly for our present situation.

Was not spoken of the soul.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 10:40 am

LKL wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
No, humans are not of any danger of dying out, so that vegetarian metaphor is more appropriate. Still, the vegetarians very well could be right, and they are trying to make legal and social change. One difference is how widespread meat eating vs abortion is. Also, not that I really accept these arguments, but someone could argue it's more natural to eat meat than have abortions. I personally I'm trying to gradually transition into vegetarianism.

I actually am a vegetarian, and the animal products that I do choose to consume are ethically based (pastured chickens for eggs (not just "free range," and grass-fed cows for dairy). However, I don't think that I have a right to impose my diet on other people. Wrt. what is "natural," I don't give a f**k; no medical care is natural. Having a dentist patch a cavity isn't "natural."

1. You are much older than me, so you've had much more time to change your lifestyle. However, what we do is irrelevant as debates are about our points, not us. You are also apparently a libertarian, I do not subscribe to libertarian philosophy, especially when I believe an catastrophe can be avoided.
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
LKL wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
When having sex you are always taking a risk, that's life. You take risks, and you have to accept the consequences if the risk falls through. By if you don't have sex you don't have any risk of getting pregnant, so if you don't want to have any unwanted pregnancies you can just avoid having sex. This is what makes rape different. Now, for biological reasons that means guys don't have as much risk with sex, and that disadvantage is unfair and abortions overcome that, but that's a different debate.

That's like saying that when you drive, you should accept the 'consequences' if you get into a car crash and just limp along on a broken leg until it heals by itself, rather than seeking medical treatment (assuming that you don't die).
The 'risk' of driving is car accidents. We have medical treatment for people who get into car accidents.
The 'risk' of sex is pregnancy and STDs. We have medical treatments for people who get pregnant or acquire STDs.

False analogy, as their is no ethical burden with getting medical treatment for a broken leg. This is purely hypothetical, but say if it required, oh, baby panda livers to fix a broken leg, than the argument might be relevant. One must live with a broken leg because it's wrong to cut out baby panda's livers.

Ok, let's change the analogy a little bit and say that the driver's kid was in the car too, and the kid needs a chunk of liver because his got blown to smithereens by blunt-force-truama during the accident (not unheard of). Should the driver/dad be forced to donate a chunk of his liver to the kid, who will die without it, because he 'chose' to drive and 'chose' to put the kid in the car? The dad will probably survive the donation.
What if the 'kid' in question is a non-sentient, non-sapient blob of more-or-less organized tissue?

Yes. What parents wouldn't do that? If he was completely obliterated how would just giving him a chunk of liver save him anyway?

I said that the kid's liver was blown to smithereens, not the kid himself.
As far as donating a liver, most parents would of course choose to do so. The question is whether or not they should be forced to do so by weight of law: forcibly held in the hospital, forcibly sedated, forcibly cut open against their wills. 1/3 of pregnancies in the US end in c-sections, so that's not a far stretch for an analogy. The question, further, is whether or not a person should be forced to donate their body to a disorganized lump of tissues with which they have no connection other than a genetic one.

Yes. They should be forced to. :P You really think someone should be allowed to die just because someone doesn't want to bother being cut open? Also, embryos aren't disorganized lumps of tissue, they lack developed morphology, but they are incredibly organized, and unlike brain dead person their functioning is going to increase in the future. You also can't be assured that sentience is completely lacked.
Quote:

Quote:
What difference does biological dependence made? Infants are still physiologically depend on their mothers as they can't fend for themselves.

You are incorrect. Infants are physiologically dependent on caretakers, but not necessarily their mother, nor even necessarily any adult. The difference made by biological dependence is that the woman in question has the right to not donate her body to another organism if she does not want to.

Does the definite autonomy of a single individual versus potentially a different group really matter in a life or death moral decision? Either way the baby is dependent, and it should be cared for.
Quote:

Quote:
Say a woman goes into labor, is it okay for her to get an abortion rather than go through birth at that point? After-all, the baby hasn't technically been born yet.

When you have any evidence that this actually happens on any statistical level involving medical staff who are not sociopaths, and women who are not sociopaths, I will consider it relevant. Until then, you have no point.

It has as much of a point as your exploded liver example. The point is that you are admitting that birth is not as absolute of a line as you proclaimed.
Quote:

Quote:
Might as well argue it's okay to kill diabetics because they can't naturally regulate their insulin levels.

If being a diabetic involved forcing another person to donate their pancreas for the manufacture of insulin, then yes: I would argue that the second person had the right to remove themselves at will as a life-support mechanism. Humans are not machines to be used by other organisms, regardless of the stage of development or the personhood in question.

False analogy as donating ones pancreas would leave one without a pancreas themselves. If there were no long term harm and only a single person is a viable donor, then yes, they should be forced to donate if the diabetic person demands it. I say ones control over their LIFE is more important than the control of their BODY.
Quote:

Quote:
The humanity argument you are making is irrelevant as by human I wasn't referring to biologically human, but to being "people".

Doesn't matter what you think, other people think that they are and you can't kill something just on the grounds that you don't think it deserves rights.

LKL wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
sonofghandi wrote:

why? They're both medical conditions, and for a woman who didn't want to get pregnant, the diagnosis can be just as devastating to hear.

They're both medical conditions?! Equivocation! I might as say Jesus and Satan are comparable because they are both angels. Heck, by that logic BREATHING is a medical condition. If you are going to use medical condition to mean disease as opposed to simply a state that is medical in nature, than pregnancy does not qualify as it is not an abnormal state characteristic of dysfunction of the nature bodily functions, quite the opposite. It's a symptom the body is working as intended. Lung cancer kills, pregnancy creates life. With the view of life as sacred it's abhorrent to compare the two, and it doesn't take religion to have such beliefs. Oh, and yes, finding out you are breathing could be devastating for someone who wanted to stop breathing. :P

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 11:00 am

Ganondox wrote:
Yes. They should be forced to. :P You really think someone should be allowed to die just because someone doesn't want to bother being cut open? Also, embryos aren't disorganized lumps of tissue, they lack developed morphology, but they are incredibly organized, and unlike brain dead person their functioning is going to increase in the future. You also can't be assured that sentience is completely lacked.

Quote:
False analogy as donating ones pancreas would leave one without a pancreas themselves. If there were no long term harm and only a single person is a viable donor, then yes, they should be forced to donate if the diabetic person demands it. I say ones control over their LIFE is more important than the control of their BODY.

I have serious problems with your implying that forced organ donations should be allowed under any circumstances.

Quote:
Quote:

Doesn't matter what you think, other people think that they are and you can't kill something just on the grounds that you don't think it deserves rights.

But they most certainly can if their country's laws follow the same thinking. Many people have that same sentiment for anyone who has ever been to prison, is LGBT, is of a different religion/race/political group, of a different socio-economic status, or just from a different country. You have no right to demand others to follow your definition of morality any more than they can do the same to you. It is the law that dictates what you can and cannot do.

Quote:
Equivocation! I might as say Jesus and Satan are comparable because they are both angels.

They are comparable, just not identical. And Jesus is not an angel by any mainstream religion's definition.

Quote:
Lung cancer kills, pregnancy creates life.

Lung cancer does not always kill. And I suppose if by creates life you mean by a breathing being, then yes, pregnancy creates life (usually). Personally, I feel that in most cases, having a child that one is not mentally, socially, physically, and/or financially able to support robs both the child and parent(s) of life, condemning them to misery and suffering until death.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 11:17 am

sonofghandi wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Quote:

I have serious problems with your implying that forced organ donations should be allowed under any circumstances.

Quote:
Quote:

But they most certainly can if their country's laws follow the same thinking. Many people have that same sentiment for anyone who has ever been to prison, is LGBT, is of a different religion/race/political group, of a different socio-economic status, or just from a different country. You have no right to demand others to follow your definition of morality any more than they can do the same to you. It is the law that dictates what you can and cannot do.

Quote:
Equivocation! I might as say Jesus and Satan are comparable because they are both angels.

They are comparable, just not identical. And Jesus is not an angel by any mainstream religion's definition.

Quote:

Lung cancer does not always kill. And I suppose if by creates life you mean by a breathing being, then yes, pregnancy creates life (usually). Personally, I feel that in most cases, having a child that one is not mentally, socially, physically, and/or financially able to support robs both the child and parent(s) of life, condemning them to misery and suffering until death.

Some people aren't lax enough to let laws cloud moral law.
And some people actually would rather have people live rather than kill them just because of a poor sh***y life.
This isn't 400 B.C. Sparta.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 11:20 am

sonofghandi wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Quote:

Well it's not law, at least not now, so you have nothing to worry about. Anyway, what's wrong with it? People need organs. In the very least we should make organ donation the default, it has a huge effect.
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

So if the law says it's okay to kill gay people you would have no problems with it? Laws change, we are debating ethics.
Quote:

Quote:

Oh whatever, substitute Michael for Jesus, doesn't really matter. The point isn't the aren't comparable in anyway, but the dichotomy.
Quote:

Quote:

Of all cancers lung cancer causes the most deaths, it usually kills, and untreated it certainly well kill. The natural destination of lung cancer is death, in contrast with pregnancy. And yes, that what life is. I see the creation of life as sacred and beautiful, no matter the ultimate outcome, that is not the result of life being created, but rather the environment the life exists in. Oh, last thing.

>Implying all would be aborted fetuses would live a miserable life

Nice to know you are now the arbitrator of how much someone's life is worth.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 11:26 am

appletheclown wrote:
Some people aren't lax enough to let laws cloud moral law.
And some people actually would rather have people live rather than kill them just because of a poor sh***y life.
This isn't 400 B.C. Sparta.

And who exactly enforces moral law? That nutjob who thought it was ok to murder someone for performing an abortion?