Unusual punishment for inmates defacing flag. Too severe?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 8:01 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/24/justice/a ... ?hpt=hp_c2

Lemme just say I'm not one of those flag-burning hippies but I also don't believe in forced patriotism but the guy in charge of this prison sounds flat out insane. The irony of this is that this feels like something that would happen in North Korea. What do you think? Does the punishment of a bread and water only diet for 7 days fit the crime?

I also wondered what the heck he was trying to prove by making the prisoners wear pink underwear, trying to deter their masculinity maybe?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 8:12 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/24/justice/arizona-inmates-bread-water/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Lemme just say I'm not one of those flag-burning hippies but I also don't believe in forced patriotism but the guy in charge of this prison sounds flat out insane. The irony of this is that this feels like something that would happen in North Korea. What do you think? Does the punishment of a bread and water only diet for 7 days fit the crime?

Whether Sheriff Joe was right or wrong aside, those dumb ass inmates should have known better than to do something like that in a Maricopa County jail of all places.

Quote:
I also wondered what the heck he was trying to prove by making the prisoners wear pink underwear, trying to deter their masculinity maybe?

The story I heard was to keep them from being stolen since the color is undesirable. I don't know if I buy that reason or not.

As far as I'm concerned, it's something the citizens of Maricopa County to ponder since it's their vote that will keep him in office or replace him.

Last edited by Raptor on 24 Jan 2014, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 8:31 pm

I think that particular sheriff is well known for his outlandish treatment of inmates. He is something of a celebrity in that way. It sometimes seems as though he comes up with strange stuff just for the publicity.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 8:31 pm

The first comment on the article said it all.

Quote:
What did Arpaio think the convicts were going to do with the flags? Salute them while standing in their pink underwear?

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 8:36 pm

I think we need more prisons like Sherriff Joe's. Make them miserable to be in prison.

That said, free speech includes being able to deface a flag.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 8:43 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
but the guy in charge of this prison sounds flat out insane.

This is the first you've heard of Sheriff Joe? Google him sometime, the man is a disgrace to his uniform, his country, and quite possibly the species, though the voting population of Maricopa County seems inordinately fond of him considering.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 9:31 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
I think we need more prisons like Sherriff Joe's. Make them miserable to be in prison.

That said, free speech includes being able to deface a flag.

Jail is not the same thing as prison. Many of the people Sheriff Joe uses as torture dolls haven't been convicted of a crime yet. Oh, and by the way, it's not Constitutional. Explicitly.

Sheriff Joe is a sadistic monster, and the taxpayers have been shelling out millions upon millions of dollars to clean up after him whenever he loses Civil Rights cases.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 10:45 pm

like churches, the only flag that illuminates is one that is on fire.

My deviant art profile

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 Jan 2014, 12:00 am

There is a decent chance Sheriff Joe actually runs for governor this year believe it or not, he's been dropping hints all over the last few months.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 12:27 am

Raptor wrote:
The story I heard was to keep them from being stolen since the color is undesirable. I don't know if I buy that reason or not.

Who knew jail and the bowling alley were so similar? Wait, now that I think about it...

the article wrote:
]The flags are part of a push for patriotism in county jail cells that includes listening to the "Star-Spangled Banner" every morning and "God Bless America" every night over the intercom system.

Seriously? What a dumbass. Way to forever associate "America" with "loss of freedom" in these inmates eyes.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View