Do most aspies like offending people with religious talk?

Page 11 of 13 [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 6:10 pm

LKL wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
Christianity is the disbelief the Big Bang is the force the created the universe. If atheists supposedly know it has been proven, show this empirical data that you supposedly have, your 'Maker', your 'God'.

*snort*
and here I thought that it had to do with this Middle-Eastern guy named Jesus...

as for what supports the big bang theory:
http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-the-big-bang-theory.htm

He was an embodyment of God that was born into human flesh after the Big Bang.
Of course it has to do with Jesus!

What period of Herod Jew would know about the big bang?

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 6:10 pm

LKL wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
Christianity is the disbelief the Big Bang is the force the created the universe. If atheists supposedly know it has been proven, show this empirical data that you supposedly have, your 'Maker', your 'God'.

Pathetic strawman. Atheists simply do not believe in God, this is not the same as saying we know all the secrets of the universe. It is the believers in god who appear to do this, and they do this with ZERO evidence. The truth is no-one knows, but the data we have points to reasonable hypothesis which may or may not be correct, the God hypothesis has no basis in reason, yet folk like yourself talk about god as if he is a proven immutable fact.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 6:12 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
LKL wrote:
appletheclown wrote:

Pathetic strawman. Atheists simply do not believe in God, this is not the same as saying we know all the secrets of the universe. It is the believers in god who appear to do this, and they do this with ZERO evidence. The truth is no-one knows, but the data we have points to reasonable hypothesis which may or may not be correct, the God hypothesis has no basis in reason, yet folk like yourself talk about god as if he is a proven immutable fact.

Not fact my friend, hope.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 6:18 pm

appletheclown wrote:
I don't misunderstand the nature of science. The whole point of the question was to get you to think.

Wow, again the breathtaking arrogance. Do you really think that any atheist hasn't already considered these very basic ideas?

Quote:
By you confirming it, that science can't, only something like God could.

I'm confirming that science is comfortable with ambiguity, and religion makes absolute claims to Truth despite the complete absence of evidence, yes.
Quote:
I am a mad scientist. I am a rule breaker.

Oh? Is that what you put on your grant applications?
Quote:
The kind of person who would love zombies to happen. I don't adhere to scientific frufru and decadance.

Lots of scientists - even most of them - like science fiction. As for 'frufru' and 'decadence,' could you be more specific? Vaccines? Hydrofracking? Heart transplants? Childhood leukemia being basically curable?
Quote:
I love God, and other than Jesus, science is his child.

Science hasn't been any religion's child since before Darwin.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 6:21 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
appletheclown wrote:

Pathetic straw man.
Atheists simply do not believe in God, this is not the same as saying we know all the secrets of the universe. It is the believers in god who appear to do this, and they do this with ZERO evidence. The truth is no-one knows, but the data we have points to reasonable hypothesis which may or may not be correct, the God hypothesis has no basis in reason, yet folk like yourself talk about god as if he is a proven immutable fact.

fixed those quote tags for you.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 6:22 pm

appletheclown wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:
appletheclown wrote:

Not fact my friend, hope.

fixed that one, too.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 6:26 pm

appletheclown wrote:
LKL wrote:
appletheclown wrote:

*snort*
and here I thought that it had to do with this Middle-Eastern guy named Jesus...

as for what supports the big bang theory:
http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-the-big-bang-theory.htm

He was an embodyment of God that was born into human flesh after the Big Bang.
Of course it has to do with Jesus!

What period of Herod Jew would know about the big bang?

whether or not bronze-age Middle Easterners knew about the big bang has nothing to do with your claiming the origin of the universe as the sole property and raison d'être of Christianity.

luanqibazao
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 6:33 pm

StuffedMarshmallow wrote:
it seems like a large portion of aspies enjoy purposely offending people by attacking or slandering religious beliefs.

People on the spectrum may be blunter than NTs, for reasons which should surprise nobody here. Bottom line though, whatever you hold to be true or sacred, there are people who disagree and will tell you so. If this offends you, perhaps the Internet is not for you.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 6:36 pm

I can tell your just getting mad, so I'll stop. I've gotten what I needed to out of this thread. Thanks for your input!

DoodleDoo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2014, 12:46 pm

I just learned something, I think these religious leaders in larger churches are often narcissist. In my direct encounters with such people, I personally have found its impossible to have any kind of meaningful conversation or intellectual exchange of any kind. They only try to assign blame and covertly attempt to push down.

DoodleDoo wrote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty7WhrLENVY[/youtube]

Raul is slippery, corrupt and an expert manipulator. Not only could he sell ice to Eskimos he would make them feel guilty for not maxing out there credit cards to buy more. He is also a creative back stabber extraordinaire. This guy is very good at what he does. But if you are expecting from Raul logic, verifiable honesty and a two way conversation its never going to happen.

Sam Vaknin defines this
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI1F0Mcklgw[/youtube]
And Dr Phil too
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJFd_ExZ0ag[/youtube]

Still there are many interesting enjoyable people in such people in these churches. Just because the church pastor is the ultimate self centered user does not mean everyone in the church is bad, far from it, most are good people.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 12:57 pm

DoodleDoo wrote:
I just learned something, I think these religious leaders in larger churches are often narcissist. In my direct encounters with such people, I personally have found its impossible to have any kind of meaningful conversation or intellectual exchange of any kind. They only try to assign blame and covertly attempt to push down.

Still there are many interesting enjoyable people in such people in these churches. Just because the church pastor is the ultimate self centered user does not mean everyone in the church is bad, far from it, most are good people.

You speak truth.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 1:35 pm

I can't remember if I've been on this thread before.

DoodleDoo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2014, 5:16 pm

The character God/Jesus fits the definition of a narcissist, this is described in the link below. So when these religious peddlers say with conviction "to be more Christ like" they are not kidding as they literally speak of themselves.

http://atheism.about.com/b/2009/10/19/g ... sorder.htm

And this, the self-deprecating narcissism among Christian leaders. This guy is thinking the same thing as I am. As you get higher up the food chain in the Christian leadership world narcissism becomes the rule not the exception.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jack-watt ... 43434.html

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 6:26 pm

I go to outpatient rehab now. It's AA/12 step based so the level of religious studies is high. Almost every other sentence is God this or Higher Power that. To an atheist like myself it's very annoying. It feels like religion is being forced down my throat. The facilitator says, "Try a substitute, like a tall tree." I think that's ridiculous. A substitute name changes nothing. I don't believe their is a higher power. It's that simple.

StuffedMarshmallow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Feb 2014, 6:36 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
I go to outpatient rehab now. It's AA/12 step based so the level of religious studies is high. Almost every other sentence is God this or Higher Power that. To an atheist like myself it's very annoying. It feels like religion is being forced down my throat. The facilitator says, "Try a substitute, like a tall tree." I think that's ridiculous. A substitute name changes nothing. I don't believe their is a higher power. It's that simple.

I'm sorry they are forcing this down your throat, I would hate it if someone tried that on me. I would care less if it was an optional place to go, but if I HAD to go somewhere that was using religion to make me feel uncomfortable I would snap. I am forced to go to church every Sunday when my parents want to, and I love it there because at this particular church everyone is super awesome there. I have heard awful, scary horror stories of religious places that are just flat out awkward and uncomfortable for some people, if I grew up in a place like that I would probably have a lot of bad stereotypes for religion.
When I move out I am probably going to at least six churches and figure out which one is the best choice for me, so I don't ruin 1/7 of my week for the rest of my life.
I have literally been to a church where the speaker YODELED 50 PAGES OF THE BIBLE in an old, squeaky, sad voice. Each service was like, 4 hours or something. I felt like crying, it was boring, and there was no Sunday school for kids, it was hell in church. I don't honestly understand why some people are so attached to crappy churches that YODEL the bible when they could go to a church where everyone is nice to each other and accept each other, and you actually learn something that was practiced and well presented.

Last edited by StuffedMarshmallow on 23 Feb 2014, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 6:42 pm

I can think of nothing worse than getting a bible forced down my throat.

Even one of those little Gideon ones they have in hotels and stuff.

Mind you I ran out of Rizla once and tried to use a page out of one of those little books.

It tasted like s**t.