Page 3 of 9 [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 2:56 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
LKL wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Well, doesn't everyone, regardless of gender, crave a pat on the head?

Not by anyone other than my mother. Same goes with begin called 'Dear,' 'Sweetheart,' or 'Hon.'

Well, how about a pat somewhere else, with a "You Go, Girl!"?

No... sexism=bad... ANY sexism... bad. Racism, sexism, ageism... pretty much all isms... bad...

but in the context of this conversation... SEXISM IS NOT ACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR... EVER.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 9:58 am

Feralucce wrote:
No... sexism=bad... ANY sexism... bad. Racism, sexism, ageism... pretty much all isms... bad...

but in the context of this conversation... SEXISM IS NOT ACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR... EVER.

Merriam-Webster Definition of Sexism wrote:
1: prejudice or discrimination based on sex; especially : discrimination against women

2: behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex

Well, we still have segregated bathrooms, based upon the stereotyped social roles that we shouldn't go potty in front of the opposite gender. That is sexism, and acceptable behavior.

I hope that our toilets do stay segregated. Not that I give a poop about going potty in front of a woman. The women's toilets always have the longest lines, and I'd hate to stand in their line when I really had to go. Especially if there weren't any trees nearby.

Selling different clothing to men and women also fosters stereotypes of social roles based on sex. Different hair styles for men and women also fosters stereotypes of social roles based on sex. I don't know if this is "bad", but it is what it is.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 10:12 am

Why would I want a pat on the head,I'm not a dog.What's even worse is a pat on the ass.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 11:12 am

Misslizard wrote:
Why would I want a pat on the head,I'm not a dog.What's even worse is a pat on the ass.

Not into spanking, eh?

Okay, no pats for you. How about a "You Go Girl!"?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 11:13 am

Go where? :D

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 11:30 am

Misslizard wrote:
Go where? :D

I don't know. Wherever you like, I guess.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 11:31 am

Then I'll stay home.No place like it.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 12:48 am

ArrantPariah wrote:
Feralucce wrote:

Merriam-Webster Definition of Sexism wrote:
1: prejudice or discrimination based on sex; especially : discrimination against women

2: behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex

Well, we still have segregated bathrooms, based upon the stereotyped social roles that we shouldn't go potty in front of the opposite gender. That is sexism, and acceptable behavior.

I hope that our toilets do stay segregated. Not that I give a poop about going potty in front of a woman. The women's toilets always have the longest lines, and I'd hate to stand in their line when I really had to go. Especially if there weren't any trees nearby.

Selling different clothing to men and women also fosters stereotypes of social roles based on sex. Different hair styles for men and women also fosters stereotypes of social roles based on sex. I don't know if this is "bad", but it is what it is.

I've been to many places that have unisex bathrooms... (at the youtube studio for one)... not an issue... no one bats an eye... people do their business and go...

Clothing... SOCIETAL CONSTRUCT... look at neolithic societies... everyone wears a loincloth... unisex...

Gender roles enforce unrealistic expectations based on someone's biology...

You are talking about patting people on the head and forcing adoration on them... which is STILL sexism... and ironically enough... will be met with suspicion, distrust and loathing by most, as it is not what they expect... IT IS CREEPY...

But non-equality based on gender needs to stop. Benevolent sexism... even by its NAME is sexism.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 2:27 am

Feralucce wrote:

I've been to many places that have unisex bathrooms... (at the youtube studio for one)... not an issue... no one bats an eye... people do their business and go...

Single-person unisex restrooms with locking doors are very common. You're talking about regular public restrooms for multiple people though?

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 4:31 am

Venger wrote:
Feralucce wrote:

Single-person unisex restrooms with locking doors are very common. You're talking about regular public restrooms for multiple people though?

Yes... Open bathroom, unixsex... [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYixpEA5iWY[/youtube]

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 10:23 am

Feralucce wrote:
Yes... Open bathroom, unixsex...

Why no urinals?

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 10:42 am

Feralucce wrote:

The bathroom is the place where females go to socialize, out of earshot of men. Do they feel that their space has been invaded? Do they go and socialize elsewhere?

Feralucce wrote:
Clothing... SOCIETAL CONSTRUCT... look at neolithic societies... everyone wears a loincloth... unisex...

The winters here are too cold for loincloths. Unless we just wore loincloths indoors. Not a bad solution. Back in the 1960s, the Chinese went in for both genders wearing a green Mao suit. It was okay for me, but since then, China has really been doing some bourgeois backsliding. Is it patriarchal demands which require women to dress in a gender-specific ways? Or, do the women do this because they want to?

Feralucce wrote:

Well, some of the expectations are biologically realistic. For example, who is assigned to gestate the fetus and produce the milk.

Feralucce wrote:
You are talking about patting people on the head and forcing adoration on them... which is STILL sexism... and ironically enough... will be met with suspicion, distrust and loathing by most, as it is not what they expect... IT IS CREEPY...

It isn't sexism if you are patting the heads of both genders indiscriminately. Sexism doesn't really mean anything any more if everything is sexist.

Feralucce wrote:
But non-equality based on gender needs to stop. Benevolent sexism... even by its NAME is sexism.

But, by its name, it is also benevolent. No need to stop benevolence.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 12:01 pm

LKL wrote:
https://medium.com/get-bullish/5088b50ec7d

what actual feminists think about benevolent sexism, as opposed to the straw-feminists that are always accused of wanting things both ways.

Having reread this, I think that actual feminists focus an awful lot of effort on being offended.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 12:47 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Feralucce wrote:
Yes... Open bathroom, unixsex...

Why no urinals?

Are you really unable to reason that one out? So men don't have to worry about women seeing their genitals and so men don't FLASH their genitals

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 1:04 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Feralucce wrote:

The bathroom is the place where females go to socialize, out of earshot of men. Do they feel that their space has been invaded? Do they go and socialize elsewhere?

Feralucce wrote:

The winters here are too cold for loincloths. Unless we just wore loincloths indoors. Not a bad solution. Back in the 1960s, the Chinese went in for both genders wearing a green Mao suit. It was okay for me, but since then, China has really been doing some bourgeois backsliding. Is it patriarchal demands which require women to dress in a gender-specific ways? Or, do the women do this because they want to?

Feralucce wrote:

Well, some of the expectations are biologically realistic. For example, who is assigned to gestate the fetus and produce the milk.

Feralucce wrote:

It isn't sexism if you are patting the heads of both genders indiscriminately. Sexism doesn't really mean anything any more if everything is sexist.

Feralucce wrote:

But, by its name, it is also benevolent. No need to stop benevolence.

At this point... I can only assume that you are being purposely obtuse.
Some non-female identifying boys wear skirts, some feminine girls wear men's clothing...
Sexism is not benevolent... by venerating, putting on a pedestal and protecting, you are minimizing them... therefore negating any benevolence it might have had.
You were not talking about handing out head pats indiscriminately, you were talking about sexism. Switch gears is obfuscating, intentional or not.
My point is that all gender roles manufactured by society... the things that are said about genders have been said about different races... and it needs to stop.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 1:43 pm

Feralucce wrote:

You were not talking about handing out head pats indiscriminately, you were talking about sexism. Switch gears is obfuscating, intentional or not.

My original statement:

ArrantPariah wrote:
Well, doesn't everyone, regardless of gender, crave a pat on the head?

Last edited by ArrantPariah on 29 Dec 2013, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.