Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 12:01 am

Fnord wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Fnord wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:
So then, what is magick?
Another way to spell "fraud".
I don't know about that. Some people can manifest their will. Some cannot. We have all seen the ones who can. They are the ones you see fulfilling their dreams and destinies. Others flounder getting nowhere no matter how hard they try. Magick is clearly not on their side nor is fate. Why that is I have no idea. Probability? There are people who barely tread water despite giving their all so you cannot blame it on their laziness or lack of effort. Then, there are others who succeed with hardly any effort at all.

There is nothing magical about ambition, dedication, education, and the ability to pay for it all.

Some people call it "luck" or "magic". I call it 50+ years of experience and hard work.

I call it the ability to manipulate circumstances to your own ends. Often when I hear people say "I have worked hard for what I have got" I will reply " and I have worked bloody hard for what I don't have" the ability to transform hard work into what you want is not magic it is simply the ability to perceive what needs to be done, and be organised in doing it.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 12:06 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Just my hunch - the realities of 300 years of science don't boil down neatly into two or three sentences that are worth anything to someone who might have grown up completely outside of them. For as complex as our world is I doubt the inner planes and consciousness/matter interface (as well as all the myriad 'why's) will be a whole lot simpler.

I suspect that as neuroscience improves terms like " the inner planes and consciousness/matter interface will become obsolete as we discover there is no interface, it is all matter.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 12:12 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
Fnord wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Fnord wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:
So then, what is magick?
Another way to spell "fraud".
I don't know about that. Some people can manifest their will. Some cannot. We have all seen the ones who can. They are the ones you see fulfilling their dreams and destinies. Others flounder getting nowhere no matter how hard they try. Magick is clearly not on their side nor is fate. Why that is I have no idea. Probability? There are people who barely tread water despite giving their all so you cannot blame it on their laziness or lack of effort. Then, there are others who succeed with hardly any effort at all.

There is nothing magical about ambition, dedication, education, and the ability to pay for it all.

Some people call it "luck" or "magic". I call it 50+ years of experience and hard work.

I call it the ability to manipulate circumstances to your own ends. Often when I hear people say "I have worked hard for what I have got" I will reply " and I have worked bloody hard for what I don't have" the ability to transform hard work into what you want is not magic it is simply the ability to perceive what needs to be done, and be organised in doing it.

I believe probability plays a role.

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 2:27 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
That's kind of like the argument when a person sees someone practicing martial arts for years and says "Pfff...I'd just carry a gun"...[snip]

What I'm basically getting out of all of this is "yea the magick doesn't actually do anything, but the process of going through the motions can develop a person spiritually and psychologically." If that's the case, why not just drop the magick BS and just focus on meditating, which isn't a load of malarky?

Quote:
For as complex as our world is I doubt the inner planes and consciousness/matter interface (as well as all the myriad 'why's) will be a whole lot simpler.

Either way, this whole thread reminds me of mescaline... :roll:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 6:08 am

Shau wrote:
What I'm basically getting out of all of this is "yea the magick doesn't actually do anything, but the process of going through the motions can develop a person spiritually and psychologically." If that's the case, why not just drop the magick BS and just focus on meditating, which isn't a load of malarky?

It's an extension of meditation and thus not malarchy. Meditation on rocket-fuel is actually a great analogy for it is - perhaps think of meditation as stage one, magick and theurgy as stage two and three. Also, it does seem to do a lot of what it claims to do but to talk about it in that manner brings about the whole atheist/theist debates and demands that I 'prove it!' via banned evidence (which seems to include any evidence that doesn't bode well for reductive materialism - the popular guard wall being was such evidence lab tested and peer reviewed by a board of scientists known to hold the materialist line).

That's really why I'm dancing around the subject - ie. I have no desire whatsoever to have the thread degenerate into what that kind of thing usually does.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 12:46 pm

Just tell us what stuff you're smokin'.

Well stop 'bullying' you when we see these 'gnomes and sylphs' you see, that you mention in the OP.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 1:20 pm

OP, you're just digging yourself deeper and deeper into the hole as time goes by. Long gone are the days when you used to be quite rational compared to a lot of members here.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 1:21 pm

*note to self.Must try mescaline.*

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 1:31 pm

Well, if you are a football player, lawyer, or just someone thinking about running for public office. a little Magickal Summoning couldn't hurt. What do you have to lose? If you really, really want something, you would try anything you thought would help you get it.

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 1:59 pm

IT work on computers and networks are about the closest I've come to actual magic.

User: I have a problem.
Me: Did you restart?
User: No
Me: Restart.
User: Ok.
(The User restarts their computer)
Me: Does it work now?
User: Yes
Me: Good
User: What was wrong
Me: I have no f*****g clue....

I like to think that by drinking the prerequisite number of cups of caffeine laden water, and allowing x number of cables to be just stay in the storage drawer tangled, and leaving things powered on over night, I appease some deific computational force, and the part of the network I deal with continues to stay up.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

salamandaqwerty
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 2:21 pm

Fnord wrote:
There is no valid material evidence to support any claim of the alleged reality of any form of magic, sorcery, witchcraft, wizardry, necromancy, enchantment, the paranormal, the supernatural, occultism, the occult, black or white magic, the "black arts", voodoo, hoodoo, mojo, shamanism, charms, curses, hexes, spells, jinxes, psychics or psionics.

'Magic' is merely the mundane art of turning another person's fears, gullibility and superstition into one's own wealth.

well said.
i love it when people have alternative views on the nature of reality however if maigik did have the ability to influence the material world then its existence would be self evident. eastern mysticism, western hermetic tradition, alchemy etc have all played a part in developing the deeper understanding of the nature and governing principles of reality we know today. science seeks to reveal hidden truths for all whereas the occult loves to claim ownership of secrets that only a "special" few possess. modern grimoire's, texts that reveal the fundamental or esoteric nature of reality can simply be found in any local library. Physics, chemistry, astronomy, biology, psychology and philosophy. You dont even need to wear a special pyramid hat, wave a wand around a circle or join a secret society to read them. :wink:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 5:31 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Just tell us what stuff you're smokin'.

Well stop 'bullying' you when we see these 'gnomes and sylphs' you see, that you mention in the OP.

Lol, its bullying if I bend over and take it. I'm not.

MCalavera wrote:
OP, you're just digging yourself deeper and deeper into the hole as time goes by. Long gone are the days when you used to be quite rational compared to a lot of members here.

Somewhere along the line I did the math a bit further and deeper and decided that there was both enough evidence on one hand that consciousness extends beyond the physical. On the other hand the fact that people who are in the new age and occult are the easiest to walk by and kick for a boost of ego really wasn't enough for me to throw all the possibilities down the drain just to sit on a high horse.

If you guys think what this forum really needs but doesn't have nearly enough of are posts about feminism, political parties, sexual preference issues, or whether religious figures of history pooped the same color we do then by all means keep spinning out the high quality product. I'll leave you to it and occasionally drop a wrench on the people who need things perfectly monochrome in here.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 5:49 pm

salamandaqwerty wrote:
science seeks to reveal hidden truths for all whereas the occult loves to claim ownership of secrets that only a "special" few possess. modern grimoire's, texts that reveal the fundamental or esoteric nature of reality can simply be found in any local library.

I think that's somewhat particular to the kind of crowd who loves to run around pretending to be vampires.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 6:06 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
babybird wrote:
I didn't know magick had a k on the end.

Only when an attempt is made to take magic out of the realm of the illusion. I suppose it's users think it gives the term a sense of mystique and awe.

I thought that spelling of magic was a Wiccan/Neopagan thing.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 6:14 pm

It was Crowley and by extension of Gerald Gardner it would stretch out to encompass the Wiccan/Neopagan movement (ie. the structural template for Wicca was taken from O.T.O. which was taken from Freemasonry - Gardner consulted Crowley on it, got A:.A:. certs apparently as well). Really I think at this point 'magick' vs. 'magic' is extended to anything Hermetic or diaspora to that, again just to separate it from the Chris Angel and David Copperfield stuff.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 7:43 pm

Well.. thanks Techstepgenr8tion ..your attention to detail..and obvious extreme abilities in verbal intelligence shine through here in this thread.. and the fact that you are not willing to be confined to 'the box'..Makes this thread simply delightful to me..

You are above and beyond the personal attacks that are a staple of this discussion forum that could never be called a debate forum by any standard of debate..as personal attacks are simply at the lowest level of critical consciousness..

Well. i was never too proud.. to suggest i knew it ALL..But on the other hand i was a skeptic..and usually the biggest skeptic in any room of supernatural or paranormal discussion..

Well i still don't believe in superstition..the supernatural..or the paranormal..as anything but an abstract construct to describe the elements and potential of human nature..that not all people share...

Magick is simply the exploration of the unknown potentials of the human experience..

But oh my GOD.. this Magick is real for those who have the ability ..to go beyond the herd mentality of what is usually seen among our modern culture human beings..

All indigenous Native Cultures still connect with this thing that Crowley described as Magick..

It ain't nothing knew under the sun among human beings..it is just a lost art of the fuller potential that is a human being...

First of all..it bears noting..that in life there were not always metaphorical band-aids to heal every human wound..what there was was will power and THE WILL TO SURVIVE..

People in our modern cultures are literally functionally disabled from a way of life..that spoon feeds instant gratification..to THE human animal..that was often able to survive incredible odds and challenges just to make it to the next meal...

So really..Magick is just a path to remember what we simply forget as our potential as human beings for what we can really do..if we are challenged enough and WILL OUR WAY TO MAKE THINGS HAPPEN..

IN TRUE ACTUALITY..MOST PEOPLE ARE SO BUSY MAKING THEIR LIVES ONE TO MEET THE EXPECTATIONS OF EXTERNAL INFLUENCES..THAT THEY NEVER EVEN TURN INWARD TO FIND THE POTENTIALS READY TO FIRE..ALREADY IN THEIR DNA...

Okay..so you might ask how the f**k i know this..

Well it is because i lived it and experienced IT as reality for myself and can prove every dam human 'miracle' that has come into my life..simply caused i BELIEVED THAT MAGICK IS REAL...

WELL HERE'S THE DEAL IF YA DON'T BELIEVE IT..IT AIN'T REAL AND IT AIN'T GONNA WORK..

AND WELL HERE'S ANOTHER DEAL.. THERE AIN'T NO ONE KEEPING TABS ON WHO GOT THEIRS AND WHO DIDN'T GET THEIRS..IN JUST ONE LIFETIME..FOR WHAT IS FAIR...

Well.. OK.. I CAN ONLY TESTIFY FOR WHAT MAGICK DID FOR ME..

A little over 5 months ago..the goal from a therapist for me..was just to be able to walk into a Whataburger..once a week for 15 minutes and handle the anxiety of all of that..and the pain and discomfort of 19 medically documented disorders..including an atypical form of trigeminal neuralgia..that some people call Sluder's headache..that never desisted for over 60 months...

A week later i was doing whatever i wanted to do..

Last week i did an alternating dance routine of walking in reverse and forward..at our local Cordova Mall for about 23 miles..20.6 of which is still documented on my Nike Plus Watch Record on my Flickr photo stream..BEFORE THE BATTERY GAVE OUT and i did the last 2 and a half miles...

And as already documented and linked here in this forum..i easily curl 210 LBS with my arms on a Nautilus Machine also documented on my Flickr photo stream..

And oh yes..did i mention my body looks like one of a body builder and a dancer in the span of one day ..as i transform it into that..well that too is also documented on my Flickr feed..

Well.. not only that but i sing now with enough skill without ever singing in public before..to get accolades of American Idol at a silly attempt to sing one song...and yah..that's in my you tube feed...

And while ya..might not understand my poetry..some people who really write poetry..AND ARE PUBLISHED..refer to it as something that only a 'beautiful mind' could produce..AND i never wrote it until THIS year...

Well add in the fact that I am 53 and actually look younger than i did when i was 40 now and the POWER OF MAGICK IS STARTING TO LOOK LIKE AN INCREDIBLE TOOL TO MAKE REAL LIFE GOOD s**t HAPPEN...

WELL.. I am also financially independent..and saved several hundred thousand dollars before all the health problems happened..

BUT I WILL TELL YOU THIS..THAT DAM MONEY MEANS NOTHING..COMPARED TO THE POWER OF MAGICK AND THE DAM FACT THAT IT REALLY WORKS..

OKAY..NOW HOW TO GET THERE..THAT IS THE INCREDIBLY HARD PART..FOR IT TAKES EACH INDIVIDUAL TO FIND THEIR OWN PATH TO GET THERE..

And while what worked for Crowley does seem to work for some..his path is nothing to me..and has no effect for me...

So i found my own..path..ya see..i am a REAL FREE MASON..AND A REAL ILLUMINATI..NOT PART OF A BS organized effort WHERE REGULATIONS TO 'THERE' ARE IMPOSED ON A HERD OF BELIEVERS...

FREE MASON..MEANS WHAT CROWLEY DID..MAKING AND SHARING HIS OWN PATH FOR THE WIN FOR HIM..BUT NEVER IMPOSING A PATH ON ANYONE ELSE...FOR THE CREATION ACTIVITY OF WHAT MAGICK TRULY IS...

AND YES CROWLEY WAS THE REAL DEAL..AND IN A WAY I AM JUST LIKE HIM...

BUT I LOOK AT THIS FROM A MOSTLY LOGICAL POINT OF VIEW..OF WHAT IS POSITIVE FOR ME..AND WOULD NEVER EVER..LOOK TO TAKE illicit DRUGS..OR DO ANYTHING THAT WOULD EVEN BE PERCEIVED AS TRULY HARMING SOMEONE ELSE...

BUT ON THE OTHER HAND I WOULD NEVER PERSONALLY JUDGE ANOTHER PERSON FOR DOING THAT..

BUT that is another part of A personal path of MagicK that who knows..might only work for me..as i would never suggest or impose my WILL OF SUCCESS ON ANY OTHER PERSON....

AND YES..THAT TOO..THE NOT IMPOSING PART..IS PART OF MY PATH TOO...

YA..SEE IT'S KINDA COMPLICATED THERE IS NO WAY YOU COULD FULLY UNDERSTAND HOW I GOT THERE..THERE IS ONLY A SHORT APPROXIMATION HERE OF MY OWN LITTLE PERSONAL UNIVERSE..THAT IS ONLY ME.....

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Last edited by aghogday on 30 Dec 2013, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.