Page 3 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 9:27 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Moviefan2k4 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Love Your Enemies (Matthew 5:38-40)Not only are Christians supposed to be peaceful, they're also supposed the let others slap the snot out of them and rob them blind.
No, we're supposed to be selfless. "Turning the other cheek" is a historical reference to people slapping folks from the side. Turning a bit results in you staring them in the face, so Jesus was saying to face your enemies instead of constantly running away. My pastor explained the "coat" deal once, but I forgot the specifics.

That's... uh... an interesting interpretation. Suffice to say, it's not what my Pastor - or any Lutheran pastor I've ever known - has said on that subject.

There's your problem. Unlike other people, Evangelicals tend to know everything.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 10:27 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Moviefan2k4 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Love Your Enemies (Matthew 5:38-40)Not only are Christians supposed to be peaceful, they're also supposed the let others slap the snot out of them and rob them blind.
No, we're supposed to be selfless. "Turning the other cheek" is a historical reference to people slapping folks from the side. Turning a bit results in you staring them in the face, so Jesus was saying to face your enemies instead of constantly running away. My pastor explained the "coat" deal once, but I forgot the specifics.

That's... uh... an interesting interpretation. Suffice to say, it's not what my Pastor - or any Lutheran pastor I've ever known - has said on that subject.

There's your problem. Unlike other people, Evangelicals tend to know everything.

Ah, I see. :lol:

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 1:56 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
Unlike other people, Evangelicals tend to know everything.
No, we just serve the One who does. :)

You might be interested in this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turning_the_other_cheek

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 2:15 am

Meh, I still think when Jesus told his followers to turn the other cheek, it was his call to love your enemies put into action.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 2:49 am

Now I know the context implies that he meant you should forgive your enemies, since Jesus says the same thing many, many other times in the Bible. But according to the real-life totally-accurate interpretation, it means you should dual wield Uzis while pursuing your violent revenge. And maybe have some one-liners ready too.

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 7:15 am

You turn the other cheek when it concerns yourself, but take the sword out when questions of faith are at stake. Surprisingly, these are very hard guidelines to follow because it's so much easier to do it the other way around.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 7:58 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
As a matter of fact, Rand did in fact write fictional novels - everything from Anthem, to Fountain Head, to the much worshiped Atlas Shrugged. It says something about her followers who can't tell the difference between fiction and non-fiction. Hey, I know, I'll base an economic/political system around Frank Herbert's Dune!

Says the guy who derives his guiding principals from ancient historical fiction... :roll:

At least the objectivists don't claim that god wrote their book, that would sound foolish.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 8:29 am

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Either you or your pastor is confusing the "Holy Bible" with the "Art of War".

No wonder fundies are perceived as warmongers - they'll twist anything the Bible says to justify violence ... and slavery ... and subjugation of women ... and ignorance of science ... and the absolute power of Authority ...

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 8:51 am

Turn the other cheek - it forces the person who slapped you to treat you as an equal, because now they will have to use the palm of their hand to slap you, rather than the back (which was used for people lower than you). It's one of many instances where Christians aren't necessarily supposed to respond to their attackers with violence, but to not lay down and give in either. The Path of Non-Violent Resistance, if you will.

Walking another mile - the Roman soldiers were allowed to force people to carry their bags one mile, and one mile only. After that mile is up, you're making it clear that no-one is forcing you to carry their burden, but you carry it of your own will. Plus, if the soldier gets caught with you after a mile, they'll be in for punishment. Jesus is, after all, the Munchkin of Munchkins,

Giving them your coat - taking someones coat is forbidden by Jewish law, so by giving them your coat, you are shaming them.

Christians aren't supposed to resist the state through violence, but that doesn't mean they're not supposed to resist it.

Also, could someone point to the part where Jesus commands the state to gather up grain and distribute it to the widows and orphans? Or, perhaps you could look through the whole bible and find a part where God commands that food must be taken and given to the poor (the taken part is important - God throughout commands that the poor be fed, but I'm looking for the part that justifies using violence to do it).

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 8:52 am

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Unlike other people, Evangelicals tend to know everything.
No, we just serve the One who does. :)

You might be interested in this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turning_the_other_cheek

I'll guess that you didn't bother to click on that section's link to the person who made that interpretation, and further speculate that your pastor sure hopes that you never read anything that he wrote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Wink

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 9:11 am

Fnord wrote:
Moviefan2k4 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Either you or your pastor is confusing the "Holy Bible" with the "Art of War".

No wonder fundies are perceived as warmongers - they'll twist anything the Bible says to justify violence ... and slavery ... and subjugation of women ... and ignorance of science ... and the absolute power of Authority ...

So do you face your enemies?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 9:52 am

Now about Conservative non-Christians and Christian non-conservatives?

ruveyn

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 10:24 am

According to the Christian Conservatives, there's no such thing.

It's all litmus tests, and more-conservative-than-thou nowadays.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 10:40 am

TheValk wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Moviefan2k4 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Either you or your pastor is confusing the "Holy Bible" with the "Art of War". No wonder fundies are perceived as warmongers - they'll twist anything the Bible says to justify violence ... and slavery ... and subjugation of women ... and ignorance of science ... and the absolute power of Authority ...
So do you face your enemies?

No. I subvert them with passive resistance. Undermining their authority means that there is no violence, no blood, no hate and no act of revenge -- they simply lose their authority and influence over me (and sometimes everyone else, as well). And as I get older, simply out-living my enemies has become the most sublime way of dealing with them.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 10:59 am

ruveyn wrote:
Now about Conservative non-Christians and Christian non-conservatives?

ruveyn

Well, Barry Goldwater inadvertently fused the two together in 1964 (although the full effects of the 1964 election did not become apparent until after the election of Ronald Reagan).

That's when the US concept of "Conservative" became disjointed from its European origins.

I wonder if Barry would have ever run for office in 1964 if he had known what he would end up creating. His later statements (from 1981 and until his death) certainly suggest that he had little (=no) respect for the current concept of US conservatism.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 1:58 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
As a matter of fact, Rand did in fact write fictional novels - everything from Anthem, to Fountain Head, to the much worshiped Atlas Shrugged. It says something about her followers who can't tell the difference between fiction and non-fiction. Hey, I know, I'll base an economic/political system around Frank Herbert's Dune!

Says the guy who derives his guiding principals from ancient historical fiction... :roll:

At least the objectivists don't claim that god wrote their book, that would sound foolish.

And what are those principles? Love your neighbor as yourself, forgive your enemies, charity for the poor, etc. Even if you take the Christian message to be based on fiction, it still is of far more worth than Ayn Rand's call for selfishness and hardheartedness will ever be.