Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 8:53 am

Now this is odd

http://news.yahoo.com/utah-gun-maker-tu ... 22712.html

Quote:
...Utah-based gun manufacturer has turned down a $15 million deal to supply Pakistan with precision rifles, citing concerns they could eventually be used against U.S. troops....

....It was a difficult decision because of the amount of money involved, he said, and the sale of rifles to Pakistan would have been legal.

...The rifles can change caliber within minutes and have the capacity to shoot as far as 3,000 yards.

A gun-maker, who has ethical concerns? That's a new one.

I think that he is just trolling.

Sherlock03
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 9:53 am

Opposed to the government who does not produce the weapon , yet hands them out with cavalier disregard.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 9:54 am

He's probably hoping he'll get an order for double that off India instead. Though it isn't unheard of for gun makers to sell to both sides / sworn enemies.

Sherlock03
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 10:18 am

TallyMan wrote:
He's probably hoping he'll get an order for double that off India instead.
Probably true, companies choose who to sell to all the time. It was probably a market ploy to make it a public discussion.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 10:35 am

http://www.policymic.com/articles/78199 ... ing-reason

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 10:43 am

Sherlock03 wrote:
Opposed to the government who does not produce the weapon , yet hands them out with cavalier disregard.

Not so.

Sales of firearms are strictly controlled. Even the US "black market" has to obtain weapons via theft from otherwise lawful owners. When you sell to a party you reasonably believe will do something horrible with them, it's an ethical choice.

Pakistan is not our friend. Weapons sold to their government could be used against our soldiers. At least in the past one could make the sale because at the time there are peaceful relations and you believe it will always be that way. Once you know the relationship is strained at best, you might stop and wonder if today's sales result in tomorrow's wounded.

It's the same debate with Israel having nukes. Israel would only use a nuke in self-defense or as a last option. Other countries who don't have nukes would gladly use one to wipe Israel off the map...which is why they can't obtain them.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 11:28 am

zer0netgain wrote:
Pakistan is not our friend. Weapons sold to their government could be used against our soldiers. At least in the past one could make the sale because at the time there are peaceful relations and you believe it will always be that way. Once you know the relationship is strained at best, you might stop and wonder if today's sales result in tomorrow's wounded.

Watering down the Second Amendment, are you? :shameonyou:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 11:41 am

Quote:
A gun-maker, who has ethical concerns? That's a new one.

The intent of this thread should be obvious......

....but here's the link to Desert Tactical.

http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/

Also, the article’s claim that the rifles can shoot 3000 yards is obviously intentionally misleading. It will lob a bullet that far but actually hitting anything is unlikely.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 12:24 pm

I guess there is nothing that can be done about that annoying night light that's up on the mountain.Its way over 3000 yards.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 12:29 pm

/\
If the night light won't come to the lizard then the lizard must go to the night light.

Sherlock03
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 1:06 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Sherlock03 wrote:

Not so.

Sales of firearms are strictly controlled. Even the US "black market" has to obtain weapons via theft from otherwise lawful owners. When you sell to a party you reasonably believe will do something horrible with them, it's an ethical choice.

It's the same debate with Israel having nukes. Israel would only use a nuke in self-defense or as a last option. Other countries who don't have nukes would gladly use one to wipe Israel off the map...which is why they can't obtain them.
I am not sure if I am misunderstanding your comment or you are misunderstanding mine. I was talking about the government sending weapons into Syria, Afghanistan, Mexico, and God knows where else.

Sherlock03
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 1:10 pm

Raptor wrote:
/\
If the night light won't come to the lizard then the lizard must go to the night light.

This would be an awesome bumper sticker.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 2:51 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Sherlock03 wrote:

Not so.

At least we're in agreement on one thing - Pakistan is definitely not our friend.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 3:01 pm

This is doubly absurd (and I don't mean that in a good way or a bad way, but an academic way) because Pakistan produces the finest quality hand-made AK-47s in the world, and they're dirt cheap. I'm not joking in the least, either; I want one.

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 3:07 pm

Desert Tech isn't exactly Colt or Remington - I have trouble believing they would be able to fulfill a contract that large without devoting almost all of their production to that contract. Instead they turned their withdraw from the bidding process into a PR stunt and now a bunch of press are talking about them and civilian gun owners who had never heard of them before are starting to look at their products. Not a bad play, if you ask me.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 3:39 pm

Sherlock03 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
/\

This would be an awesome bumper sticker.

I wish I had it on a t-shirt.