Banished for Questioning the Gospel of Guns

Page 1 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2014, 7:56 pm

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-con ... r-2013.pdf

Oh my goodness! How dare he! Someone ought to shoot that damned T-Word dead!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/05/busin ... h_20140105

Quote:
...In late October, Mr. Metcalf wrote a column that the magazine titled “Let’s Talk Limits,” which debated gun laws. “The fact is,” wrote Mr. Metcalf, who has taught history at Cornell and Yale, “all constitutional rights are regulated, always have been, and need to be.”

The backlash was swift, and fierce. Readers threatened to cancel their subscriptions. Death threats poured in by email. His television program was pulled from the air.

Just days after the column appeared, Mr. Metcalf said, his editor called to tell him that two major gun manufacturers had said “in no uncertain terms” that they could no longer do business with InterMedia Outdoors, the company that publishes Guns & Ammo and co-produces his TV show, if he continued to work there. He was let go immediately....

...His experience sheds light on the close-knit world of gun journalism, where editors and reporters say there is little room for nuance in the debate over gun laws. Moderate voices that might broaden the discussion from within are silenced. When writers stray from the party line promoting an absolutist view of an unfettered right to bear arms, their publications — often under pressure from advertisers — excommunicate them.

“We are locked in a struggle with powerful forces in this country who will do anything to destroy the Second Amendment,” said Richard Venola, a former editor of Guns & Ammo. “The time for ceding some rational points is gone.” ....

...Editors of gun magazines are unapologetic in acknowledging that their content caters to the gun enthusiasts who believe their rights are under constant threat, and to the firearms companies that account for much of their revenue. At some magazines, said Jan Libourel, a former editor of both Guns & Ammo Handguns and Gun World magazines, “the editors only want editorial content for some key advertisers.” ....

...In the column that led to his dismissal, he said that too many gun owners believed that the constitution prohibits any regulation of firearms. He noted that all rights are regulated, like freedom of speech. “You cannot falsely and deliberately shout, ‘Fire!’ in a crowded theater,” he wrote.

“The question is, when does regulation become infringement?” he continued. Mr. Metcalf ended the column arguing that requiring 16 hours of training to qualify for a concealed carry license was not an infringement.

Though his editors had approved the column before it went to press, they reversed course after publication. Jim Bequette, editor of Guns & Ammo, issued an apology to the magazine’s roughly 400,000 readers. He told them Mr. Metcalf had been dismissed, and that he, Mr. Bequette, would move forward plans to hand the editorship on to his successor.

Acknowledging that some readers were “hopping mad,” he wrote: “Let me be clear: Our commitment to the Second Amendment is unwavering.”....

I hope that someone does teach that damned T-Word a lesson, and put a bullet right through his ugly skull! Who does he think he is? Some sort of fancy pants intellectual?

Duuuhhhh......that dick is a T-Word! Death to T-Words!

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 11:02 am

Maybe every constitutional right has been regulated, but as a supreme court justice pointed out, America is defined by our effort to meet an ideal of the rights enshrined in the Constitution.

Should we impose limits on freedom of speech? I know we do, but when you want to meddle with the freedom of the press, the media gets all up-in-arms.

Well, if they think the right to keep and bear arms is okay to mess with, or your right a fair, speedy and public trial, or your right to be secure in your papers and possessions, etc., why not start regulating the press?

"Let them take an inch and they will take a mile."

The fight is to prevent the loss of freedom. To advocate regulating gun rights is to be okay with the government taking away a little bit of what was supposed to be an absolute right. Once you start down that path, it becomes increasingly difficult to stop it.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 11:14 am

ArrantPariah wrote:
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Lets-Talk-Limits-by-Dick-Metcalf-of-Guns-Ammo-December-2013.pdf

Oh my goodness! How dare he! Someone ought to shoot that damned T-Word dead!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/05/busin ... h_20140105

Quote:
...In late October, Mr. Metcalf wrote a column that the magazine titled “Let’s Talk Limits,” which debated gun laws. “The fact is,” wrote Mr. Metcalf, who has taught history at Cornell and Yale, “all constitutional rights are regulated, always have been, and need to be.”

The backlash was swift, and fierce. Readers threatened to cancel their subscriptions. Death threats poured in by email. His television program was pulled from the air.

Just days after the column appeared, Mr. Metcalf said, his editor called to tell him that two major gun manufacturers had said “in no uncertain terms” that they could no longer do business with InterMedia Outdoors, the company that publishes Guns & Ammo and co-produces his TV show, if he continued to work there. He was let go immediately....

...His experience sheds light on the close-knit world of gun journalism, where editors and reporters say there is little room for nuance in the debate over gun laws. Moderate voices that might broaden the discussion from within are silenced. When writers stray from the party line promoting an absolutist view of an unfettered right to bear arms, their publications — often under pressure from advertisers — excommunicate them.

“We are locked in a struggle with powerful forces in this country who will do anything to destroy the Second Amendment,” said Richard Venola, a former editor of Guns & Ammo. “The time for ceding some rational points is gone.” ....

...Editors of gun magazines are unapologetic in acknowledging that their content caters to the gun enthusiasts who believe their rights are under constant threat, and to the firearms companies that account for much of their revenue. At some magazines, said Jan Libourel, a former editor of both Guns & Ammo Handguns and Gun World magazines, “the editors only want editorial content for some key advertisers.” ....

...In the column that led to his dismissal, he said that too many gun owners believed that the constitution prohibits any regulation of firearms. He noted that all rights are regulated, like freedom of speech. “You cannot falsely and deliberately shout, ‘Fire!’ in a crowded theater,” he wrote.

“The question is, when does regulation become infringement?” he continued. Mr. Metcalf ended the column arguing that requiring 16 hours of training to qualify for a concealed carry license was not an infringement.

Though his editors had approved the column before it went to press, they reversed course after publication. Jim Bequette, editor of Guns & Ammo, issued an apology to the magazine’s roughly 400,000 readers. He told them Mr. Metcalf had been dismissed, and that he, Mr. Bequette, would move forward plans to hand the editorship on to his successor.

Acknowledging that some readers were “hopping mad,” he wrote: “Let me be clear: Our commitment to the Second Amendment is unwavering.”....

I hope that someone does teach that damned T-Word a lesson, and put a bullet right through his ugly skull! Who does he think he is? Some sort of fancy pants intellectual?

Duuuhhhh......that dick is a T-Word! Death to T-Words!

Oh s**t..throw the first amendment 'right' out the window..heh..?

Silly dam intellectuals...wanting to have free speech and all of that..

huh..!

"The height of potential for loss of freedom..is biting the tongue that enlightens ya..."

Quote by me...
By the way....
hehehaha..!

Freedom of Speech! is the greatest! and most! important! privilege and RIGHt provided by some countries.. of all potential RIGHTs for mankind..
Not just the US
The greatest one for ALL of US....

All forms of CENSORSHIP...

SIMPLY SUCK

DAM I LIKE FREE THINKING AND FREE SPEAKING FOLKS..

YOU'RE KINDA KOOL AP...
AT LEAST FOR HERE..
MY friend..

HONESTY IS KOOL2...AND BRAVE RY TO SIMPLY

TELL WHAT RINGS TRUE..

TRULY2..

FOR EACH AND EVERY ONE..

GUNS
OR

NOT....

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 11:25 am

So, is Zero up for shooting that damned T-word scum? Someone has to teach that T-word a lesson about free speech when it cums to guns.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 12:24 pm

Well..truly the right to censorship on private magazines..and all of that..is freedom of speech too..per the rights of private citizens..and private businesses and all of that...TO SIMPLY SAY SHUT THE f**k UP GET OUTA HERE I HATE YOUR OPINION..DON'T AGREE WITH IT..IT SUCKS AND ALL OF THAT...

So while it sucks..in my opinion..it is still part of being free..and yeah all things considered..understanding what it would TRULY BE LIKE NOT TO HAVE THAT ..AND ALL OF THAT..

YEAH I PROBABLY COULD DIE FOR THAT TOO..

PROPERLY PATRIOTICALLY MOTIVATED AND ALL OF THAT...2

I GUESS GETTING OLDER IS GETTING OH GOD MORE CONSERVATIVE AND ALL OF THAT..

HELP ME..I THINK I'M FALLING IN LOVE WITH THE COUNTRY AND ALL OF THAT...

HEHE....

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 12:28 pm

HMMM..so sorry about too many all of that's...in that last post..and all of that...

Hmmm..it's finally getting cold in North Florida..teens tonight..2..(temperatures not girls) gotta get going to do my naked polar bear dance..outside..chakra belly dance..and yes that 2...

Have a great day..be free..simply free..and yes that 3....

Brave as one and yes wild 4 ALL AS ONE...

Sherlock03
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 1:42 pm

I hardly think the firing of one individual from a magazine constitutes banishment. Personally I would have kept him on as an editorialist to spur some fun conversation from someone who actually knows something about weapons. The gun community is actually pretty diverse; ranging from hardcore Marxist to absolute Libertarians.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

06 Jan 2014, 1:45 pm

The 2nd amendment is not negotiable, there is no debate or discussion to be had.

Sherlock03
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 1:51 pm

What in the world does "T-word" mean?

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 1:59 pm

Is someone trying to promote a tv series on this forum or something?
The name Sherlock seems to appear in an awful lot of threads here at the moment. I am already beginning to show the first symptoms of a Sherlock overdose. Seeing him dance in another thread nearly did me in. As if that wasn't enough :evil: !

Sherlock03
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 2:04 pm

Jacoby wrote:
The 2nd amendment is not negotiable, there is no debate or discussion to be had.

True, but if we dig in like a tick and plug our ears we might just find ourselves circumvented. I see no reason why we cannot successfully argue that our 2nd amendment is still valid. After all, if we hold a right we should at least know why it is there and still valid.

Sherlock03
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 2:10 pm

pokerface wrote:
Is someone trying to promote a tv series on this forum or something?
The name Sherlock seems to appear in an awful lot of threads here at the moment. I am already beginning to show the first symptoms of a Sherlock overdose. Seeing him dance in another thread nearly did me in. As if that wasn't enough :evil: !

Oh you love me and would miss your edification if I was gone.

Guns happen to be a special interest of mine ( can't help it) along with anything mechanical. You have to peek my interest in order for me to reply. It would appear then, by the fact that you keep running into me, we share a common set of interests. :heart:

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 2:24 pm

Among the Bill of Rights

Second Amendment wrote:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The right to shoot guns is the only right that cannot be infringed, by law.

First Amendment wrote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The right to free speech can be infringed. It only says that Congress can make no law abridging the freedom of speech. Other entities, however, may abridge the freedom of speech. But, no entity may infringe upon anyone's right to shoot a gun.

Thus, the Second Amendment trumps all other supposed "freedoms" in America.

So, somebody had better exercise his Second Amendment rites on Mr. Metcalf, before he opens his trollish mug once again and says something he oughtn't.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 2:34 pm

I seriously wonder if the guy would have gotten death threats had he suggested limitations on freedom of speech or religion. Somehow, I doubt it. Makes you have to consider who the gun nu... I mean, gun advocates are.

Sherlock03
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 2:34 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Among the Bill of Rights

Second Amendment wrote:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The right to shoot guns is the only right that cannot be infringed, by law.

Well, you have the right to keep and bear arms. However, if you shoot your neighbors cat you may be in some hot water.

Quote:
So, somebody had better exercise his Second Amendment rites on Mr. Metcalf, before he opens his trollish mug once again and says something he oughtn't.
They would have to get past Mr. Metcalf's Glock first.

Sherlock03
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 2:42 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I seriously wonder if the guy would have gotten death threats had he suggested limitations on freedom of speech or religion. Somehow, I doubt it. Makes you have to consider who the gun nu... I mean, gun advocates are.

Or, since we don't know who sent the death threats it could be some random punk. For example, if I were to get a death threat,it could just as easily come from a random browser as it could have come from pokerface. :D