Climate change/global warming denial 59%  59%  [ 20 ]
Birthers 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
Creationism 29%  29%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 34

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 11:51 am

Which belief is most upsetting to progressives?

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 11:58 am

All three are ridiculous. But, I voted birthers. The global climate change deniers may have some valid points, although I suspect that very few (practically none) of them have any understanding of the science, and are only capable of parroting what they heard from Fats Limbaugh and Faux News. Still, I give them some credit for the remote possibility that one or two of them may have some valid points. Creationists are silly, but they're entitled to their opinions. Birthers are just a bunch of vile racists.

RedStar98
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jan 2014, 1:36 pm

I can't stand climate change denial, I really can't

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 2:16 pm

It was a tough one choosing between climate change denial and creationism. But in the end, I chose creationism, because that kind of pseudo-scientific idiocy in turn gives birth to climate change denial. Kind of ties it all into a neat little package. :lol:
Plus, with that sort of scientific illiteracy, America can only fall further and further backward as a cultural and even an industrial center of western civilization. Already, in huge swathes of the country, denial of scientific reality is considered to be the educational goal.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 2:50 pm

Climate change,but since that's already happening let's put it to good use.The birthers and creationists will be sucked up in the vortex of a tornado.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 5:56 pm

Creationism, because it's the most easily disproved; the other two are stupid as well, but there's at least a little bit of murkiness about them.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 5:59 pm

Creationism, it's the worst ism of the past century.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Jan 2014, 7:12 pm

Climate change denial, because it is the most important issue and actually has political capital.

The "birther" movement is ultimately irrelevant. Oh no, some people think a man was born somewhere he wasn't. Whoop de doo.

YE Creationists are misguided and either unintelligent or wilfully blind, and must not be allowed to disrupt science lessons, but it's a stretch to say they threaten lives. I guess they could stop some biologist from making the progress that finds a cure for a deadly disease or something, but that's a stretch. This is particularly so as many educated YE creationists accept evolution, but just think it started 6000 years ago and the evidence for an old Earth is just a coincidence.

Climate change denial actively threatens lives, and is a fairly mainstream idea, even amongst the political classes. It's just as ludicrous as YE Theory, but whilst being a YEer gets you mocked, conservative politicians can say they don't believe in climate change and get re-elected.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 7:16 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
It was a tough one choosing between climate change denial and creationism. But in the end, I chose creationism, because that kind of pseudo-scientific idiocy in turn gives birth to climate change denial. Kind of ties it all into a neat little package. :lol:
Plus, with that sort of scientific illiteracy, America can only fall further and further backward as a cultural and even an industrial center of western civilization. Already, in huge swathes of the country, denial of scientific reality is considered to be the educational goal.

I'd have thought for sure you'd vote birthers......

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 11:34 pm

Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Once Obama leaves office, they'll become a bad memory... if they are remembered at all.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 5:24 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Once Obama leaves office, they'll become a bad memory... if they are remembered at all.

There will always be more boogymen for you to shake your fist at.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 5:28 pm

Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

There will always be more boogymen for you to shake your fist at.

But after Obama leaves office after his successful second term - - not them anymore.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 5:50 pm

What would the liberal versions be? The anti-vax and anti-GMO movements might lean a bit towards the liberal side, but Michelle Bachmann proved that the former, at least, has some conservative elements and the 'black helicopter' right-wingers are also sometimes anti-GMO.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 6:18 pm

^^^^My ex was very right wing,always going on about NWO,"they are going to take your guns",HAARP,internment camps,the UN was in charge,China was going to invade,and totally into organic food.As for black helicopters,they exist,we saw one,so did neighbors.Just the military or maybe DEA. :D

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 8:58 pm

LKL wrote:
What would the liberal versions be? The anti-vax and anti-GMO movements might lean a bit towards the liberal side, but Michelle Bachmann proved that the former, at least, has some conservative elements and the 'black helicopter' right-wingers are also sometimes anti-GMO.

The poll was to see what the left finds more upsetting about the right. I figured birthers would come in last but of course get some votes. I pretty much knew either creationism or global warming/climate change would win. Personally, I thought creationism would win but it looks like global warming/climate change is in the lead by several points.
You could do one to find out what the right finds the most upsetting about the left.

Misslizard wrote:
^^^^My ex was very right wing,always going on about NWO,"they are going to take your guns",HAARP,internment camps,the UN was in charge,China was going to invade,and totally into organic food.As for black helicopters,they exist,we saw one,so did neighbors.Just the military or maybe DEA. :D

Did you know all this when you went to the alter with him? If so then you got what you bargained for.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 9:39 pm

^^Of course he didn't act like that when I married him.It developed over time,like a boil.