Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 12:31 pm

I find it interesting, but I am mixed. Some seem impossible to do, and others seem questionable. Any thoughts?

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 1:12 pm

It's a great book. I think it's dead-on, even the more diabolical points (I own this book, btw).

Bear in mind the author is taking a neutral stance on power and doesn't address the tendency for power to corrupt those who wield it. There is no accounting for ethics or morality in that book, which leaves the reader with the responsibility to decide how much and to what extent any given law is applicable.

Also, it's not a self-help book, but rather a historical commentary. The Art of War stuff is really cool, and that inspired me to read bits and pieces of that as well. 48 Laws should be read as just as much as a warning (if not more so) as it should be read as conventional wisdom.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 1:30 pm

I notice many of these tendencies in myself personally. (Keep quiet, don't reveal too much, and one or two other things like not trusting many people. ) I don't know whether to cringe at some of this, or whether I should apply it lol. I really do feel conflicted.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 1:50 pm

The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli can be bought for $ 2.25 on Amazon.

... just sayin'

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 3:25 pm

Who said I bought it ;) . Actually, you can get The Prince for free on librvox and internet archive. I plan on reading that too.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 5:59 pm

The Rules of Acquisition are also helpful.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 9:48 am

Misslizard wrote:
The Rules of Acquisition are also helpful.

I agree. GENERALLY speaking, I'm fond of #45, #48…

…and SOMETIMES #94 (Females and finances don't mix). My wife handles the money in the household, but not in my business. There is a good reason for keeping those apart: My wife looks at money as a way to maintain our current existence. I look at residual income as a means of keeping the OTHER money, the money she gets to spend, coming in. It's NOT an investment, nor is it a household emergency fund. I trust her in all other things, but residual income is to maintain inventory, equipment upkeep, and the like, not to reduce your anxiety through the month. A LITTLE anxiety is good for finances since it forces one to focus on income and sensible spending.

#103 has taken on an especially deep meaning for me in recent months. I've gotten a lot done living by that one.