Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,104

31 Jan 2009, 7:31 pm

deleted.



Last edited by starvingartist on 31 Jan 2009, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Aug 2007
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,765
Location: Room 101

31 Jan 2009, 7:37 pm

Nice straw man. I'm not going to bother with this.


_________________
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH


Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,316
Location: Omnipresent

31 Jan 2009, 7:47 pm

Well, the provision of health care isn't the restriction so much as the funding mechanism and how the funding mechanism would cause government health care to interact with a health care market.

I mean, the increase in taxes seems to be a restriction of rights by it's nature. The creation of a system by the government for the purposes of destroying/completely undermining competition also seems problematic from a freedom standpoint as well. Of course, there are different views of freedom and government interaction with freedom, however, it would seem as if government provision would have a negative impact. This is not to say that the current system is good, however, an analytical frame must be taken to exist for your question to be meaningful, and I would think that the claim that a freedom reduction exists seems to make sense.



ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 83
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,726
Location: New Jersey

31 Jan 2009, 8:23 pm

starvingartist wrote:
how many of you really believe that a government that provides health care to it's citizens is restricting their rights by not allowing large insurance corporations to gouge them and deny them coverage when they get sick?


I think the system taken to its logical conclusion will lead to a form of rationing of medical care. We will end up like England or Canada.

ruveyn



starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,104

31 Jan 2009, 10:23 pm

Orwell wrote:
Nice straw man. I'm not going to bother with this.


i am asking this question because someone said this to me on another thread. i'm sorry if i offended with my ignorance.





*edit*

i seem to do that a lot here.



aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 14 Oct 2009
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,932

11 Mar 2014, 9:12 pm

ruveyn wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
how many of you really believe that a government that provides health care to it's citizens is restricting their rights by not allowing large insurance corporations to gouge them and deny them coverage when they get sick?


I think the system taken to its logical conclusion will lead to a form of rationing of medical care. We will end up like England or Canada.

ruveyn


oh no oh no death panels for grandma Beatrice :roll:

yes I have a sniffle I want to see the best surgens NOW! using the most expensive drugs available :roll:


_________________
Theirs a subset of America, adult males who are forgoing ambition ,sex , money ,love ,adventure to sit in a darkened rooms mastering video games - Suicide Bob


TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Oct 2013
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,060

11 Mar 2014, 10:32 pm

ruveyn wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
how many of you really believe that a government that provides health care to it's citizens is restricting their rights by not allowing large insurance corporations to gouge them and deny them coverage when they get sick?


I think the system taken to its logical conclusion will lead to a form of rationing of medical care. We will end up like England or Canada.

ruveyn


Oh no, not England or Canada! Anything but that!



aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 14 Oct 2009
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,932

11 Mar 2014, 11:07 pm

^^^^^

my thoughts exactly Canada beats the usa in all almost all areas that matter considering the economic mess the usa is in it even beats it on a per capita gdp to ! !

Richest country in the world my eye , Switzerland, Norway , Qatar , Australia, Canada and so on and so forth....


_________________
Theirs a subset of America, adult males who are forgoing ambition ,sex , money ,love ,adventure to sit in a darkened rooms mastering video games - Suicide Bob


NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Jun 2011
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 567

12 Mar 2014, 2:25 am

I'm pretty liberal, and actually a former Democratic organizer, but I thought that the debate over the ACA was pretty dishonest.

If you read the local paper in my city, you would have thought that the poor were uncovered, but Minnesota actually had an excellent augmented Medicaid program as well as a high-risk pool for people who made too much to qualify. I know that several other states had similar programs.

I'm also cynical because housing usually takes a bigger bite than private health insurance did - sometimes by two- or three-fold - and most public policy is aimed at raising property prices.

As for 20-something "invincibles", if they stepped-up to support the system, they'd be the only responsible age-group.



The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,550
Location: Reading, England

12 Mar 2014, 5:45 am

What's up with the five year bump?



aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 14 Oct 2009
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,932

12 Mar 2014, 6:41 am

The_Walrus wrote:
What's up with the five year bump?


their still here ...


_________________
Theirs a subset of America, adult males who are forgoing ambition ,sex , money ,love ,adventure to sit in a darkened rooms mastering video games - Suicide Bob