Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GinBlossoms
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Mar 2014, 7:46 pm

Today, since every piece of land is claimed by some government or state, do you think any new lands or methods of achieving a new state is within future's reach, or are we all f*cked eternally until we die?

This makes me feel sad, because it sounds soo much better to establish a new state from scratch then to reform an existing one. For example, historical baggage is a problem for most existing states today.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 7:50 pm

probably, just not on Earth.

My deviant art profile

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Mar 2014, 7:56 pm

New land? No, we have satellites, we can be sure we've discovered all land masses. If an oceanic volcano erupts, it will be claimed by an existing country rapidly.

New countries? Sure. Crimea could become independent this year. Then there are separatist regions in many countries, the most notable being Kosovo and Somaliland.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 8:08 pm

"Discover" new countries?

Not on earth. Though they do find new uncontacted tribes in New Guinea now and again.

But no nation-sized pieces of land are going to be found on earth.

New countries form all of the time. But no landmass (save newly formed volcanic islands) are going to be 'discovered'.

We may start colonizing space. A 80's book called "the High Frontier" by Gerard O'Neil argued that the most lkely way it will be done will not be by building settlements on the surface of other planets, but by building floating cities in space consisting of paired slowly spinning cylinders with folks living on the inner surface of the outerwalls of each cylinder to utilize the artificial gravity created by the spin.

I suppose you could find a way to melt the ice in Antarctica. Then you would have a whole new big continent to settle. But the downside would be that you would drown every major port city in the rest of the world because of the rise in the sea level.

techstepgenr8tion
SomeRandomGuy
SomeRandomGuy

10 Mar 2014, 9:39 pm

About the only place to find brand new territories we have available to us for full current exploration is the WWW where we can generate whole continents and cultures of mind and idea albeit they often bubble up and collapse as fast as trends turn (to say it's man made isn't too much of a problem as in yes, a person generates the idea but we also 'discovered' the Americas with people living all over them - didn't stop us from planting a flag and claiming it a discovery, hopefully we'll be kinder to our creative geniuses than we were the various pre-colonial aboriginals). In space we're not going much farther than the moon, mars if we're lucky in the next thirty or forty years and beyond that we're getting into accelerations of mathematics meant to leave the human mind utterly in the dust anyway, no idea how the artilect revolution will turn out when it comes.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 1:04 am

Perhaps Antarctica if it wasn't such a cold and hostile environment let alone the rough seas required to travel if traveling by boat.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 1:46 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
Perhaps Antarctica if it wasn't such a cold and hostile environment let alone the rough seas required to travel if traveling by boat.

You think that will be a new country? What if the earth warms up like they say and land appears under the snow melt? Will they call it something else?
Greenland is getting like that.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 1:50 am

Yes, if americans ever decide to look at a map, they might discover many countries which aren't america.

Last edited by Stannis on 11 Mar 2014, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

techstepgenr8tion
SomeRandomGuy
SomeRandomGuy

11 Mar 2014, 4:55 am

Stannis wrote:
Yes, if americans ever decide to look at a map, they will discover many countries which aren't america.
How do we know the OP is American?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Mar 2014, 5:44 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Stannis wrote:
Yes, if americans ever decide to look at a map, they will discover many countries which aren't america.
How do we know the OP is American?

Past posts.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 6:52 am

GinBlossoms wrote:
Today, since every piece of land is claimed by some government or state, do you think any new lands or methods of achieving a new state is within future's reach, or are we all f*cked eternally until we die?

This makes me feel sad, because it sounds soo much better to establish a new state from scratch then to reform an existing one. For example, historical baggage is a problem for most existing states today.

Starting a new state is soo old school. Revolutions and popular protests are the way forward it seems. The Berlin Wall would not have come down without it. Czechoslovakia is another example that comes to mind.

The Chinese are very likely to overtake the US as a global power as the 21st century unfolds. Can't be a bad thing as far as I am concerned. A change will be as good as a rest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_China ... obal_Order
http://www.martinjacques.com/

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 10:29 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSCm-NjVW1I[/youtube]

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 10:58 am

I recall in Superman Returns, Lex Luthor was using Kryptonian crystal technology to create a new land mass to destroy and replace North America. Other than something like that, I sincerely doubt you're going to get anything new on this planet.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 11:16 am

Countries? Lol no. Tribes? There's a slim chance, but not entirely impossible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncontacted_peoples

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 11:41 am

Actually I might start my own state. I think I'll call it the State of Confusion.

In my state no one would be allowed to be focused....everyone would have to be fuzzy.

And there would be no facts...only speculation. And no leaders....we'd all be speculators.

And no one could frown, or be nasty to another.

Hmmm. Maybe not so confusing after all.

denny