22 Mar 2014, 3:55 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
khaoz wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Voter suppression revisited. :roll:

voter suppression is real. It is a tactic of a party with no integrity who knows they are losing their demographic base. No more white man power, so they cheat to steal what they cannot win honestly.

So you're saying that the Republican Party (what you call the troll party) has conspired to keep non-whites from voting with this "voter suppression" thingy?
I think you and Kraichgauer must have been separated at birth.

Maybe we were! :lol:
But seriously, this Schultz guy admitted what the Republican party is up to. Why wold he lie? Unless you believe he's actually a Democratic plant, which is a bit paranoid. And as Schultz himself had pointed out, there is absolutely no evidence of voter fraud.

I've never bothered to research whether or not there's voter fraud and/or how much of it.
I go to the polls and show them my ID and they give me a ballot. I do not feel suppressed or marginalized at having to do that. Same for buying a gun except it's considerable more more hassle (ID, ATF form 4473, paying for the NICS check) but I don't feel particular marginalized or suppressed. I don't like it but I don't scream about being marginalized, either.
But hey, let's say there is no evidence of voter fraud so we do away with voter ID. Since there is no evidence that jumping through hoops to buy a gun deters armed violence we'll do the same for all gun purchases. Hey, if it works for one right then I see no reason for it not to work for another right. I'm sure you'll agree if you're really concerned about rights.

Requiring ID at the polls, if that ID is not provided free of charge, is then a poll tax, directed purposely at people who can't afford to buy.
-
It's not for the license. There usually isn't a license required in most states to buy a firearm or posses them. The states and cities that do require a licence just to purchase a firearm are typically politically liberal.

Quote:
As for comparing proper ID for voting to a gun license- there isn't any attempt to keep people from ever owning guns as there is with discouraging people belonging to "unwanted groups" from voting.

You ARE kidding, right? Firearm ownership, as a right, has a long history of being trampled. Like Dox said, much of it has its roots in racism. Really, how far into this do you need to be taken in this history lesson?

Quote:
I think it's fair to say, if someone is found unfit to own a gun, there is a legitimate reason, whether they have mental defect, criminal record, etc. With persons denied voting rights, the reasons are ridiculously trumped up, ranging from one elderly black lady not being able to provide her marriage certificate from years before, to a WWII veteran suddenly accused of not really being a citizen.

You're going to have some examples of people being f***ed by the system in just about anything you look at. If we have to screen firearm buyers at their expense for each purchase because the odd one might be on record as mentally ill or have a record then we can do the same for voters to weed out the odd fraudulent voter.
I have no problem at all with anyone voting, regardless of political affiliation, because it is a right. However, it cannot be forgotten that it's not the only right.
Honestly, I'm starting to think that I'm more reasonable as a conservative than you'll even allow yourself to be as a liberal.

Last edited by Raptor on 22 Mar 2014, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 3:58 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
As for the price of gun licenses going up to a degree that poor and middle class gun owners can't afford them - that's the first I've ever heard of such a thing. Has anyone else, right or left, ever complained about this?

Yes, actually. From labeling inexpensive firearms "Saturday Night Specials" (a name with racist origins, btw) and banning them to increasingly expensive FOID requirements (over $300 in NYC if you're connected enough to get one), the left has no problem at all with imposing a significant cost on a constitutional right. Quite a bit of gun control is also grounded in racism, from the Sullivan Act in New York that was intended to disarm Jews and Italians to Ronald Reagan's California gun laws targeting the Black Panthers, the two are fairly intertwined.

I've never heard of the Sullivan Act. When was that enacted?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sullivan_Act

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 4:15 pm

I didn't have to pay for anything but the purchase price of the gun I selected.You mean people have to pay extra in some states? I was unaware of this.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 4:27 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I didn't have to pay for anything but the purchase price of the gun I selected.You mean people have to pay extra in some states? I was unaware of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Instant_Criminal_Background_Check_System
Quote:
The National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) is a point-of-sale system for determining eligibility to purchase a firearm in the United States of America. Federal Firearms License (FFL) holders are generally required by law to use the NICS to determine if it is legal to sell a firearm to a prospective purchaser. Mandated by the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993 and launched by the FBI on November 30, 1998, NICS determines if the buyer is prohibited from buying a firearm under the Gun Control Act of 1968. It is linked to the National Crime Information Center and the Interstate Identification Index among other databases maintained by the FBI.[1]

The National Instant Criminal Background Check System is applicable to sales from federally licensed dealers. Sales of firearms by private sellers are allowed to proceed without a background check unless required by state law. These regulations remain in place at gun shows, where no special leniency is granted to licensed sellers, and no additional requirements are placed upon private sellers.

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 4:37 pm

If requiring an ID constitutes repression, what about these?

6/15/2012 - President Barack Obama’s presidential campaign checked the identification of the supporters attending Obama’s “framing” event at Cuyahoga Community College today. The 1,500 supporters in attendance picked up tickets at campaign offices in Northeast Ohio beginning on Monday, though tickets to the event made no mention of an ID requirement. …

Quote:
“We checked every ID at the door to make sure it matched with the name on the ticket that supporters filled out,” she said. “We did this for every person who came in.”

7/10/2012 - NAACP Requires Photo I.D. to See AG Holder Speak in State Being Sued Over Voter ID.

This is what it's really about:

11/7/2012 - Obama lost in every state that requires a photo ID to be produced before voting.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 4:43 pm

I purchased at a hardware store,they did a background check,didn't take long but I don't remember having to pay for it.Maybe I did and they just figured that into the price.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 4:59 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I purchased at a hardware store,they did a background check,didn't take long but I don't remember having to pay for it.Maybe I did and they just figured that into the price.

Depends on the state.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 5:45 pm

Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
As for the price of gun licenses going up to a degree that poor and middle class gun owners can't afford them - that's the first I've ever heard of such a thing. Has anyone else, right or left, ever complained about this?

Yes, actually. From labeling inexpensive firearms "Saturday Night Specials" (a name with racist origins, btw) and banning them to increasingly expensive FOID requirements (over $300 in NYC if you're connected enough to get one), the left has no problem at all with imposing a significant cost on a constitutional right. Quite a bit of gun control is also grounded in racism, from the Sullivan Act in New York that was intended to disarm Jews and Italians to Ronald Reagan's California gun laws targeting the Black Panthers, the two are fairly intertwined.

Thank you for the link.
From what I gleaned from the Wiki entry was that the bill road in on an anti-immigrant, nativist fervor, though it said nothing about it being the cause. And it pointed out that the first person to be arrested due to the Sullivan bill was in fact connected to organized crime.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 5:49 pm

Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
khaoz wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Voter suppression revisited. :roll:

voter suppression is real. It is a tactic of a party with no integrity who knows they are losing their demographic base. No more white man power, so they cheat to steal what they cannot win honestly.

So you're saying that the Republican Party (what you call the troll party) has conspired to keep non-whites from voting with this "voter suppression" thingy?
I think you and Kraichgauer must have been separated at birth.

Maybe we were! :lol:
But seriously, this Schultz guy admitted what the Republican party is up to. Why wold he lie? Unless you believe he's actually a Democratic plant, which is a bit paranoid. And as Schultz himself had pointed out, there is absolutely no evidence of voter fraud.

I've never bothered to research whether or not there's voter fraud and/or how much of it.
I go to the polls and show them my ID and they give me a ballot. I do not feel suppressed or marginalized at having to do that. Same for buying a gun except it's considerable more more hassle (ID, ATF form 4473, paying for the NICS check) but I don't feel particular marginalized or suppressed. I don't like it but I don't scream about being marginalized, either.
But hey, let's say there is no evidence of voter fraud so we do away with voter ID. Since there is no evidence that jumping through hoops to buy a gun deters armed violence we'll do the same for all gun purchases. Hey, if it works for one right then I see no reason for it not to work for another right. I'm sure you'll agree if you're really concerned about rights.

Requiring ID at the polls, if that ID is not provided free of charge, is then a poll tax, directed purposely at people who can't afford to buy.
-
It's not for the license. There usually isn't a license required in most states to buy a firearm or posses them. The states and cities that do require a licence just to purchase a firearm are typically politically liberal.

Quote:
As for comparing proper ID for voting to a gun license- there isn't any attempt to keep people from ever owning guns as there is with discouraging people belonging to "unwanted groups" from voting.

You ARE kidding, right? Firearm ownership, as a right, has a long history of being trampled. Like Dox said, much of it has its roots in racism. Really, how far into this do you need to be taken in this history lesson?

Quote:
I think it's fair to say, if someone is found unfit to own a gun, there is a legitimate reason, whether they have mental defect, criminal record, etc. With persons denied voting rights, the reasons are ridiculously trumped up, ranging from one elderly black lady not being able to provide her marriage certificate from years before, to a WWII veteran suddenly accused of not really being a citizen.

You're going to have some examples of people being f***ed by the system in just about anything you look at. If we have to screen firearm buyers at their expense for each purchase because the odd one might be on record as mentally ill or have a record then we can do the same for voters to weed out the odd fraudulent voter.
I have no problem at all with anyone voting, regardless of political affiliation, because it is a right. However, it cannot be forgotten that it's not the only right.
Honestly, I'm starting to think that I'm more reasonable as a conservative than you'll even allow yourself to be as a liberal.

No, I'm not joking.
And while in the past there had been racist motivations behind guns laws, where today is a fee for a gun license racial motivated?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 6:14 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Thank you for the link.
From what I gleaned from the Wiki entry was that the bill road in on an anti-immigrant, nativist fervor, though it said nothing about it being the cause. And it pointed out that the first person to be arrested due to the Sullivan bill was in fact connected to organized crime.

I only did what you could have done and highlighted Sullivan Act, right clicked, and selected search Google and the wiki article was the first thing that came up. There are other sources, though.
Quote:
Many believe the act was to discriminate against immigrants in New York, particularly Italians,[citation needed] as the first person arrested under the law was mobster Giuseppe Costabile. Whether this was part of the law's intent, it was passed on a wave of anti-immigrant rhetoric as a measure to disarm an alleged criminal element.[citation needed] The police granted the licenses, and could easily discriminate against "undesirable" elements.

Well the lawmakers weren't going to come right out and publicly say "Were doing this to keep Italians from getting guns". It's all about intent and timing.
So find me a republican lawmaker that came out and publicly said "we're doing this to keep blacks from voting" where voter ID laws are concerned. If not then, by your own rules, you have no case for voter suppression.

Last edited by Raptor on 22 Mar 2014, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 6:52 pm

Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Thank you for the link.

I only did what you could have done and highlighted Sullivan Act, right clicked, and selected search Google and the wiki article was the first thing that came up. There are other sources, though.
Quote:
Many believe the act was to discriminate against immigrants in New York, particularly Italians,[citation needed] as the first person arrested under the law was mobster Giuseppe Costabile. Whether this was part of the law's intent, it was passed on a wave of anti-immigrant rhetoric as a measure to disarm an alleged criminal element.[citation needed] The police granted the licenses, and could easily discriminate against "undesirable" elements.

Well the lawmakers weren't going to come right out and publicly say "Were doing this to keep Italians from getting guns". It's all about intent and timing.
So find me a republican lawmaker that came out and publicly said "we're doing this to keep blacks from voting" were voter ID laws are concerned. If not then, by your own rules, you have no case for voter suppression.

I didn't say that I doubted that the Sullivan Act had been directed against Italians. I only stated that the article hadn't definitely made that connection. For the record, I tend to think it likely that had been the intent. I was a little standoffish to say that I thought it was because I'm too used to you and Dox jumping on my back for "making assumptions" - even though it was you guys who had brought the Sullivan Act up.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 7:49 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I was a little standoffish to say that I thought it was because I'm too used to you and Dox jumping on my back for "making assumptions" - even though it was you guys who had brought the Sullivan Act up.

-Could it be that we've both repeatedly taken you by the hand and factually and logically exposed the fallacy of gun control for you to have you agree then, only to have you repeatedly fall back to your protectionist progressive party default setting on this?

-Could it be that you look at rights with blinders on, even though doting on being a *liberal (you know, open minded. tolerant, and all that jaz)?

* And before we go there, I'm a conservative. We don't hang our hats on being open minded. tolerant, and all that jaz.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 11:40 pm

Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I was a little standoffish to say that I thought it was because I'm too used to you and Dox jumping on my back for "making assumptions" - even though it was you guys who had brought the Sullivan Act up.

-Could it be that we've both repeatedly taken you by the hand and factually and logically exposed the fallacy of gun control for you to have you agree then, only to have you repeatedly fall back to your protectionist progressive party default setting on this?

-Could it be that you look at rights with blinders on, even though doting on being a *liberal (you know, open minded. tolerant, and all that jaz)?

* And before we go there, I'm a conservative. We don't hang our hats on being open minded. tolerant, and all that jaz.

Just because I might concede some points to you and Dox hardly means I'm changing my opinions.
And in all honesty, I'm not all that anti-gun - I might just appear that way to gun fetishists. I have always believed that with rights comes responsibility - it has nothing to do with looking at rights with blinders on. That means owning a gun is a right, but it's not an absolute right. And anyone who imagines they need guns to enforce "second amendment remedies" on the federal government, or that the second amendment exists to one day overthrow the government, probably needs to take a competency test, because such persons are clearly dangerous.
And finally - - You're a conservative?!?! NO!! !! But seriously, what's possibly wrong with tolerance and open mindedness? What evil comes from being tolerant and open minded?
And by the way, tehre are far more important things wo worry about

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 9:57 am

TheGoggles wrote:
The ID laws are tailor-made to exclude any form of ID that a Democratic voter might use, such as a student ID. By the way, have you been to a DMV in the last INFINITY years? I don't have all day to spend waiting to jump through bureaucratic hoops just so I can vote, because I've got **** to do. If you're working 80 hours a week, you definitely don't have time.

No student ID should ever be acceptable. Too easy to fabricate. State-issued IDs have anti-tampering, anti-forgery features. And, yes, I've been to the DMV...no problem, and for an ID card, they can always make it a priority to help people get them. Besides, if you are WORKING, you pretty much need an ID/DL because how many times are you going to be asked for it? You can't get a job without ID now. You can work for yourself, but unless you walk or bicycle everywhere and never need to buy anything that they will ask for an ID....

And what do you mean by "any form of ID that a Democratic voter might use"? Are Democrats ideologically opposed to going to the DMV and getting an ID card or bringing their DL to the polling place? Why is one group seeing no problem doing it but the other side acting like it's the equivalent of hacking your arm off at the elbow?

TheGoggles wrote:
Might want to hold off on playing the Gerrymandering card, since actually prosecuting people for doing it would inordinately affect one party in particular. Hint: It's not the Democratic Party. http://election.princeton.edu/2012/12/3 ... o-it-myth/

That both sides do it is meaningless. That Democrats want to point the finger at Republicans when they (in essence) do exactly the same thing illustrates their hypocrisy. Arguably, Republicans could employ the same tactics to get people to vote illicitly because of no voter ID laws being in place, but they want to eliminate that problem. If they pushed for tighter enforcement of anti-gerrymandering laws and the Democrats opposed it, the issue would be the same.

TheGoggles wrote:
Oh no, black people with sunglasses outside of a couple of polling stations in 2008. Help, they're sunglassing at me menacingly!

No, a lot more happened than just that. Many were armed and made aggressive gestures towards non-black voters attempting to enter the polling place.

In my area, you are not allowed to have any campaign material within X feet of the door of the polling place, and you can not do anything more than offer a "sample ballot" to passing voters (a page showing what the ballot looks like with your candidates selected). You are not supposed to say anything beyond "good morning/afternoon" as they attempt to enter the building. You are not allowed to do anything that MIGHT intimidate them. Any complaint is grounds to be told to leave and/or have the police called to remove you from the property.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 11:01 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Just because I might concede some points to you and Dox hardly means I'm changing my opinions.

Yeah, but it seems to be the same things over and over.

Quote:
And in all honesty, I'm not all that anti-gun - I might just appear that way to gun fetishists.

You're either pro or anti. Gun fetishist is an anti-gun term.

Quote:
I have always believed that with rights comes responsibility - it has nothing to do with looking at rights with blinders on. That means owning a gun is a right, but it's not an absolute right. And anyone who [b]imagines[/b] they need guns to enforce "second amendment remedies" on the federal government, or that the second amendment exists to one day overthrow the government, probably needs to take a competency test, because such persons are clearly dangerous.

They can imagine whatever they want. Now you're advocating thought control.
Quote:
And finally - - You're a conservative?!?! NO!! !! But seriously, what's possibly wrong with tolerance and open mindedness? What evil comes from being tolerant and open minded?

Nothing, if you actually ARE open minded and tolerant and not just selectively so. Liberals seem to be selective about open-mindedness and tolerance yet they are the ones that preach it.
Quote:
And by the way, tehre are far more important things wo worry about

It's pointless to discus anything on this forum (PPR). We only do it just because.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 5:01 pm

If liberals are ever intolerant, it's because we fail to see the need to be tolerant of the intolerant.
You yourself said that as a conservative, you're not tolerant.
And a gun fetishist isn't every gun owner. It's someone who thinks the whole constitution revolves around the second amendment, and has the most bizarre gun fantasies.