Are you a truth seeker?
yes 74%  74%  [ 20 ]
no 26%  26%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 27

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 8:15 am

I have been wondering if many people with Asperger or Autism are truth seekers.

Are you very interested in subjects like these listed below?

conspiracies
aliens and ufos
the esoteric/occult/mysticism
secret societies
hidden history
mind control
the new world order
the powers that be
illuminati
geo-engineering and chemtrails
the paranormal
ancient civilizations
human origins
spirituality
religion
alternative media
alternative healthcare
false flags
big brother
9/11
nature of reality
hidden science

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 10:27 am

The one of those I have an interest in is The Paranormal - fiction, yes, but real life accounts, too. But really it's from an aesthetic sense. Ghosts and monsters mostly. Aliens bore me. I like the eerie disruption of day-to-day life. The uncanny moment (related, I think, to the sublime). If, say, telekinesis became accepted scientific dogma, it wouldn't have the same ability to make me shudder. Which is silly, really, because when I had photosynthesis explained to me, my reaction was one of an awe-filled disbelief.

My position on Supernatural things, variously considered, is to not know for sure. And to me, that not-knowing, that sense of frustration, is more enjoyable than knowing either way for sure.

I'd recommend the book Will Storr vs The Supernatural. And his latest, Heretics, for that matter.

That said, I have spent my fair share of evenings wandering down the various rabbit holes to be found all over the web. The people into such things seem to get very precious and paranoid - many accusations of someone being undercover etc. I've tried to talk to them and been accused of such a thing.

Yourself?

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 10:54 am

tomato wrote:
Are you a truth seeker?

Yes.

I used to be interested in all manner of weird stuff in my young teens but then in further pursuit of he truth I spent a number of years studying the sciences at university which enabled me to tell the difference between truth and the bullshite passed off as "hidden truths" in things like conspiracy theories and new age mysticism etc.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Mar 2014, 11:36 am

I'm interested in most of those things. How blind people can be to the truth amazes me! To be fair, I think most people know the truth about most of those (except hidden science - I don't think people realise the extent to which pharmaceutical companies suppress evidence that doesn't show their products in a good light... oh, and I guess people are disproportionately likely to have a religion given how likely it is that they are right), but it amazes me how a small minority believe all those crazy things despite evidence for them ranging from "very weak" to "non-existent".

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 12:17 pm

Hopper wrote:
Yourself?
Spirituality and esoteric/occult aspects of religions are my biggest interests at the moment, and things like the nature of reality.

TallyMan wrote:

Yes.

I used to be interested in all manner of weird stuff in my young teens but then in further pursuit of he truth I spent a number of years studying the sciences at university which enabled me to tell the difference between truth and the bullshite passed off as "hidden truths" in things like conspiracy theories and new age mysticism etc.
Interesting perspective. I respect that. As for science in general I have been thinking about that that is truth seeking too, but somewhat different I guess from the more alternative truth seeking I was talking about in the OP. I like any kind of truth seeking and all kinds of science but at the moment the spiritual stuff interests me the most.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 12:24 pm

tomato wrote:
I like any kind of truth seeking and all kinds of science but at the moment the spiritual stuff interests me the most.

Me too. I'm Zen Buddhist / Atheist.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 12:34 pm

All those things you listed have nothing to do with truth. They are all a load of dung put together to enslave your mind and make money for the person starting the craphole story. Alex jones been getting rich selling this tripe for a long time. Pretty much nada of what he says has come to pass. And he talks about crap twenty years and older. I cant believe there are people gullible enough to follow this lunacy. Its a rabbit hole. Turn around and climb out before it starts its twists and turns. It will eat your brain.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 12:46 pm

Here is what I think about a few of these.

Quote:
conspiracies

Anyone who plans a crime with at least one other person is planning a conspiracy.

Quote:
mind control

PR/ Marketing is mind control, as are anti depressants.

Quote:
the new world order

Alex Jones has poor critical thinking faculties, and he is a poor fact-checker.

Last edited by Stannis on 23 Mar 2014, 1:42 pm, edited 7 times in total.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 12:53 pm

khaoz wrote:
All those things you listed have nothing to do with truth. They are all a load of dung put together to enslave your mind and make money for the person starting the craphole story. Alex jones been getting rich selling this tripe for a long time. Pretty much nada of what he says has come to pass. And he talks about crap twenty years and older. I cant believe there are people gullible enough to follow this lunacy. Its a rabbit hole. Turn around and climb out before it starts its twists and turns. It will eat your brain.
haha! Another interesting perspective. I respect your view. I have heard similar views before. I don't believe in all the stuff I hear from Alex Jones and others but I am kind of "out there" or whatever you want to call it. Personally I like being a bit mad and paranoid. lol

I feel too that there is a lot of BS in conspiracy contexts. But I think one can get inspiration from there. For example pretty much all those sites are against Zionism. After having spent quite a lot of time in there I have come to view Zionism as a good thing. That might piss some people off. I try to always be open to changing my views.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 1:00 pm

I admit that I believe in some of the stuff. And I admit that it is kind of similar to having a religion. Thus there are "skeptics" and "believers". I feel that I am a bit of both. I try to question everything but at the same time I have had spiritual experiences and have some faith and intuition and that kind of stuff. A bit of both worlds.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 1:10 pm

Stannis wrote:
tomato wrote:

Here is what I think about a few of these.

Quote:
conspiracies

Anyone who plans a crime with at least one other person is planning a conspiracy.

Quote:
mind control

PR/ Marketing is mind control.

Quote:
the new world order

Alex Jones has poor critical thinking faculties.
I agree about conspiracies and mind control. It's very broad and permeates pretty much the entire existence as I know it. But I guess it was after my spiritual awakening that I just got a different perspective on the world. It was some kind of expansion of my mind I guess. I haven't watched very much Alex Jones. I think that he might serve a purpose with spreading fear and paranoia. I do think spreading fear and paranoia might actually help humanity sometimes, but not sure. People who are very comfortable in their existence don't generally have a lot of motivation to do spiritual seeking and spiritual work from my impression. I think fear can help to catalyze that desire.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 1:43 pm

tomato wrote:

conspiracies

1. When I was delusional with the mental condition of "ideas of reference" I did. The condition made me believe that everything that everyone did was in a hidden effort to do me harm in some way. I think there would be a % of ASD people who would be tortured by others to the extreme, and develop delusions of persecution, because that is all they know from others.

2. These "delusions of persecution" do result in beliefs of the things you mention.

I would suggest that these beliefs appear to be slanted in a negative, conspiratory , self-persecuting way for most of the people that believe them.

For example:
UFOS are beaming me up and doing alien experimentation on me!
The Illuminti are secretly controlling our lives!
Big Brother is always watching!

We don't see:
UFOS are beaming me up and giving me an alien massage.
The Illuminti secretly donates money to promote good.
Big Brother is always looking out for me!

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 2:05 pm

Clarke put out three documentary series about strange phenomena that took an open minded, but skeptical view.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAxDj-o7U-w[/youtube]

This Vice documentary nicely tackles the NWO thing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkJ_ZiX_Tek[/youtube]

Last edited by Stannis on 23 Mar 2014, 2:58 pm, edited 7 times in total.

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 2:07 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
tomato wrote:

conspiracies

1. When I was delusional with the mental condition of "ideas of reference" I did. The condition made me believe that everything that everyone did was in a hidden effort to do me harm in some way. I think there would be a % of ASD people who would be tortured by others to the extreme, and develop delusions of persecution, because that is all they know from others.

2. These "delusions of persecution" do result in beliefs of the things you mention.

I would suggest that these beliefs appear to be slanted in a negative, conspiratory , self-persecuting way for most of the people that believe them.

For example:
UFOS are beaming me up and doing alien experimentation on me!
The Illuminti are secretly controlling our lives!
Big Brother is always watching!

We don't see:
UFOS are beaming me up and giving me an alien massage.
The Illuminti secretly donates money to promote good.
Big Brother is always looking out for me!

That is very interesting and something I have been thinking about. I tend to disagree somewhat. Maybe I'm delusional. But I believe I'm "spiritual". I don't know anything really. I think spirituality and madness are pretty much the same thing, but from different perspectives. Kind of like Asperger (some claim Asperger and creativity are two sides of the same coin), which is why I wondered if many here are into these things. I don't necessarily have a lot of the fear, at least less than some time ago. For me it's more about being inquisitive, asking the big questions, trying to reveal the concealed and so on. I do wonder though why some things are perceived as concealed and who or what concealed them and what any fear is based on. I think fear is a spiritual thing. Spirituality is just another word for psychology anyway, pretty much. I do think my spiritual awakening and the truth seeking that followed has been healthy for me, and I don't always buy the view of "skeptics". I try to listen to everyone. And as for those things you mentioned I do actually think the Illuminati are good.

haha alien massage

Last edited by tomato on 23 Mar 2014, 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 2:07 pm

There's a seeker born every minute!

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 5:26 pm

TallyMan wrote:
I used to be interested in all manner of weird stuff in my young teens but then in further pursuit of he truth I spent a number of years studying the sciences at university

Is this really what happens at University, a pursuit of truth?, or is it a case of going to university to hear another mans "truth" whom you deem must be trustworthy, because he teaches in a University?