Page 2 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 2:38 am

Stannis wrote:
Moviefan2k4 wrote:
GinBlossoms wrote:
So I am doubting my faith in God. He's just a man in the sky with a complicated philosophy. Big deal. I'm sick of thinking about him finally. Why? He screwed the world over, especially since 9/11 (did he kill himself that day or go away or something?), a lot of bad things happened in the world. The afterlife Heaven is sometimes just as ridiculous as the afterlife of Hell. I want to go to neither. I'm told to be thankful, but how can I be thankful when we depend on a job market to survive (which craps now), our current administration in the White House (I wish we can make conservative ideas more popular again, they're only unpopular because people made them that way). Sometimes, I hate God, and I hate death. I'm very furious now. Why can't he make things go back to where they were after 9/11?
God loves all people, including you, but He is also a gentleman. He will not force Himself or His ways on anyone who does not want Him, which is why the Earth's become so terrible. Heaven is total perfection, a far cry from the wrecked planet we now live on. People often bring up cruelties and such, but those events actually prove the existence and need for a higher standard, not the lack of one. After all, no sane person would argue a speed limit doesn't exist just because some choose to break it...and the same is true with spiritual concepts.

That's not the reason people reject spiritual concepts. The main reason people reject spiritual concepts is because there is 0 evidence to back them up.

Well, there is that. But not just that. Would you want to worship an entity that allows innocent children die of starvation, war, cancer, etc.? Even is he exists, I don't want anything to do with this guy. Or, a bit more colorfully, here's how Geroge Carlin puts it:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=153NzPmD-2k[/youtube]

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 3:18 am

Dear Heavenly father aka fake made up imaginary skydaddy...I hate you! Your worthless and stupid and incapable of doing anything but encourage homophobia slavery rape incest and genocide and justify it on a book of your fairytales and implant these thoughts into children you are worse than Hitler! Thank you and Amen!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 4:01 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
Dear Heavenly father aka fake made up imaginary skydaddy...I hate you! Your worthless and stupid and incapable of doing anything but encourage homophobia slavery rape incest and genocide and justify it on a book of your fairytales and implant these thoughts into children you are worse than Hitler! Thank you and Amen!

Let us pray.....

Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 5:11 am

How old are you? I was raised by a deeply religious father and I questioned my beliefs when I was 13 for those very reasons, and ultimately I haven't felt the slightest bit towards "faith" in over 10 years. I based it on 9/11 and the atom bombs in 1941 - how can god flood the earth because of sin in early times yet in modern day you hear of all these atrocities - where is "god" while all this is happening, sitting in the sky laughing?

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 11:54 am

To answer your question about the Flood, God promised Noah after it was over that He would never again cover the whole Earth with water. The rainbow seen after storms and such was a sign of that promise, and to this day, no flood has ever covered the entire globe again. I'd say that's a pretty impressive track record for a promise.

As for divine punishment, think of it this way: if we are created by God, then why should He answer to us for anything, beyond what He's already promised? If He is truly the Creator of all, then He alone determines what;s right or wrong, whether we like it or not. Some criticize this with the "might doesn't make it right" mentality, but they leave out one important aspect: if God is eternal and all-powerful, then neither His might nor rights are arbitrary. God could wipe us all off this planet right now, and it wouldn't be wrong, because He created everything from absolutely nothing, including us. Here's an analogy: you build a car completely from scratch, and lend that car to a friend, who doesn't return it when you ask. So, is it theft for you to retrieve it with a spare set of keys, regardless of your friend's opinion? No, because you built and own that car; its yours, part and parcel. Well, God works much the same way with us and the world. We don't belong to ourselves in the end, because we didn't create our own bodies or souls.

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 12:24 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
To answer your question about the Flood, God promised Noah after it was over that He would never again cover the whole Earth with water. The rainbow seen after storms and such was a sign of that promise, and to this day, no flood has ever covered the entire globe again. I'd say that's a pretty impressive track record for a promise.

As for divine punishment, think of it this way: if we are created by God, then why should He answer to us for anything, beyond what He's already promised? If He is truly the Creator of all, then He alone determines what;s right or wrong, whether we like it or not. Some criticize this with the "might doesn't make it right" mentality, but they leave out one important aspect: if God is eternal and all-powerful, then neither His might nor rights are arbitrary. God could wipe us all off this planet right now, and it wouldn't be wrong, because He created everything from absolutely nothing, including us. Here's an analogy: you build a car completely from scratch, and lend that car to a friend, who doesn't return it when you ask. So, is it theft for you to retrieve it with a spare set of keys, regardless of your friend's opinion? No, because you built and own that car; its yours, part and parcel. Well, God works much the same way with us and the world. We don't belong to ourselves in the end, because we didn't create our own bodies or souls.

Can god create a rock so heavy that he can't lift?

That analogy sucks. If I geneticaly engineered completely new beings, I would have to be a complete psycho if I allowed them to starve; if I also invented diseases to kill my engineered creations; and if I made a few rules for them to follow and, as punishment for their non-compliance, I would torture them and burn them as long as they lived. I could go on, but I think you get the point.

You are submissive to a god who is a psychopath, because you are afraid. But you don't have to. If the all powerful god is real let him either kill me now or force Jesus to have incest with his mom.

I'll report in a few minutes.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 12:29 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:

There is not enough water to flood the earth completely, not by far. How about Odin's promise?

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 12:35 pm

@Movie Fan

Well, so far so good. Either virgin Mary is no longer virgin or there is no such thing as a god.

Relax. Don't be afraid of an imaginary totalitarian psycho. And especially don't live your life with that fear. It must be terrible to try to please the supreme psychopath-terrorist at every second of your life. Let it go and enjoy the freedom. :)

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 12:39 pm

Quote:

Such a global flood never happened. It's a Babylonian myth. As is the story of a fight with a sea dragon and the dividing of waters, the concept of a firmament, the magical fruit that can give eternal life, the thwarting of man's access to that fruit by a snake, the loss of innocence story where a man gets clothing for the first time, the story of feuding brothers where one displeases a god with an offering, and the creation of man from clay. The idea of speaking creation into existence comes from Egypt.

Early monotheism itself originates in Egypt under Akhenaten . And his priests learned the same lesson that the jewish priests eventually learned. That the people, and later leaders, often have other ideas.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 12:58 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:

Rainbows are caused by the refraction of light through rain drops, splitting the white light into its component colours. Rainbows aren't created by a god, unicorns or my little pony.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 1:14 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I225Vcs3X0g[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 1:45 pm

GinBlossoms wrote:
God makes me sick!

Can't say God bothers me in the least; nor does Zeus, Odin or flying unicorns. As I have no belief in any of those things, life is what I make of it myself. I have no imaginary friend looking over me; nor is there some divine judge watching everything I do. I live according to my own moral principles and that seems to be fine with everyone I encounter. Sky fairies and mythology are irrelevant to my life.

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 2:06 pm

Still alive, by the way.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 2:38 pm

ModusPonens wrote:
Can God create a rock so heavy that He can't lift?
No, because He can manipulate anything He creates. He has the power to make us all slaves for eternity, but He loves us too much to use that power.

Quote:
That analogy sucks. If I genetically engineered completely new beings, I would have to be a complete psycho if I allowed them to starve; if I also invented diseases to kill my engineered creations; and if I made a few rules for them to follow and, as punishment for their non-compliance, I would torture them and burn them as long as they lived. I could go on, but I think you get the point.
First off, let's point out the obvious: God's not you, me, or anyone else. He's a being unto Himself, answerable to no one aside from promises He's already given. God does not wish for any to suffer, but we do because both we and this world are no longer in the state that God created us. So many atheists ask why God would make humans evil, and the answer is, "He didn't; we chose it." They then say that God is evil because He gave humans free will, but the only other option is eternal slavery. See, lots of folks think freedom equals a total absence of rules or accountability, but they're wrong. Like anything else on this Earth, human freedom can be abused...and when that happens, terrible tragedies occur. I'm not saying we're the sole cause of all the world's evil, but we are a large part of it. Another source is the planet itself no longer being as God first made it, either; Scripture says it cries out like a mother in birth pangs, eager for a release from pain.

From a purely scientific standpoint, imagine what a global flood would do. Millions of people, animals, and objects would be crushed almost instantly by the weight of water and dirt, which would then increase the temperature around said locations, causing fossilization in a very fast timespan. The weight also would crack tectonic plates, causing them to shift and buckle against each other. Huge areas of land would be eroded like crazy, forming large trenches and spillways. Does any of that sound familiar? ;)

TallyMan wrote:
Rainbows are caused by the refraction of light through rain drops, splitting the white light into its component colours. Rainbows aren't created by a god, unicorns or my little pony.
And who do you think created light and water? Science has already proven the universe isn't eternal, and you can't have natural laws without nature itself.

trollcatman wrote:
There is not enough water to flood the earth completely, not by far.
Actually, if you flatten down the mountains and raise up the basins, all the water in the oceans right now would cover the planet to a depth of 2 miles at any given point. One mistake many disbelievers in the Flood make is accepting uniformitarianism, a.k.a. "the way things work has always remained the same." We can;t know that for sure, because none of us alive today were there.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 3:05 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
And who do you think created light and water? Science has already proven the universe isn't eternal, and you can't have natural laws without nature itself.

Nobody created light or water. Hydrogen is a basic element formed shortly after the big bang consisting of one proton and one electron. Oxygen is formed during the nuclear fires of stars and propelled into the universe along with all other elements when stars die and go supernova. The compound water is formed from hydrogen and oxygen fusing together. Visible light is just a narrow range of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye typically produced by the transition of electrons from higher to lower energy levels within atoms. Neither light nor water is made by a magical sky fairy.

The universe began around 13.8 billion years ago as a consequence of the big bang, so what? Your final statement is meaningless.

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 3:16 pm

Moviefan2k4, your ignorance and misunderstanding of the actual scientific evidence concerning the Biblical flood is amazing.

Your sources have LIED to you and you are gullible enough to swallow their lies. Basically, every argument you are putting up has already been thoroughly debunked.

Go ahead and wallow in your ignorance and go ahead continuing to spread misinformation and lies about this. I know I am not the only one on this forum who gets tired of continually pointing out how WRONG you are about so many things. The difference between your opinion and mine is that mine is supported by much evidence and not falsified by any while yours is falsified by much evidence and not supported by any. That is a rather big difference, don't you think?

Most people, given the choice of two contrary opinions where the evidence is so overwhelmingly one-sided would have no difficulty choosing which one is more likely to be true.