Japan announces intent to defy court order to stop "sci

Page 4 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 3:33 am

trollcatman wrote:
^^^ There were 8 people at that table including the presenters, and I think they all ate the burgers. They looked pretty much like normal burgers except the bun had a slightly green color to it from the seaweed.

Me stick to tofu and tempeh for now.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 3:34 am

khaoz wrote:
trollcatman wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
the welfare of the whales is all too often an afterthought at best. humans have a long ways to go before they can be termed "civilized."

I think we should transition to test tube meat. They already made hamburgers from muscle cells of a cow. In the long run this will be cheaper, more animal-friendly, and less draining on the environment. Those whales take a while to die, it seems an extremely cruel way to get our food. And they are social animals as well, the other whales will miss their relatives.

I think we need to transition toward a plant based diet. There should be plenty of plant sourced nutrition available to sustain human life if we would stop sourcing so much of our produce to the production and harvesting of animals for humans to consume as food. This is unsustainable.

Do you realize that if we were to switch to a plant based diet, many animals would cease to have any value at all and a number of subspecies and variants would quickly become extinct.

Fortunately, for the animals as well as for humans, we have no dictator that can require us to adopt a plant based diet.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 11:59 am

I am perfectly willing to eat tube meat if it is available and affordable.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 12:14 pm

auntblabby wrote:

It is already here, people have eaten test tube burgers: link
It is not yet available to the public, and probably pretty expensive. But when this is perfected meat will be much cheaper to produce. We'll still need a few cows around to take a biopsy from every once in a while (I think). Although horses might be more ethical, since their meat doesn't get worse with age. Thinking creepy now: you could eat your own meat if you do a biopsy on yourself and grow it so you know for certain what humans taste like.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 12:19 pm

trollcatman wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

It is already here, people have eaten test tube burgers: link
It is not yet available to the public, and probably pretty expensive. But when this is perfected meat will be much cheaper to produce. We'll still need a few cows around to take a biopsy from every once in a while (I think). Although horses might be more ethical, since their meat doesn't get worse with age. Thinking creepy now: you could eat your own meat if you do a biopsy on yourself and grow it so you know for certain what humans taste like.

there was a guy who DID sample his own meat, I think from his arm.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 11:53 pm

If only farming whales like cows and pigs were a realistic option.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 11:55 pm

Yuzu wrote:

we'd need 23rd century star trek technology to do such. I hope they don't become extinct before then.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 12:09 am

auntblabby wrote:
Yuzu wrote:

we'd need 23rd century star trek technology to do such. I hope they don't become extinct before then.

People will be able to enjoy whale burgers and whale on the barbie and slow-cooked pulled whale in the future? Yum.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 12:52 am

Personally, I think Japan should just stop whaling all together so that those sea shepherd as*holes can take their pirate business elsewhere. Where are they gonna go if they couldn't target "the evil Japanese"? Would people enjoy the show and support them the same if they were attacking Norwegians? The whole thing reeks of racism if you ask me.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 7:34 am

Yuzu wrote:
Personally, I think Japan should just stop whaling all together so that those sea shepherd as*holes can take their pirate business elsewhere. Where are they gonna go if they couldn't target "the evil Japanese"? Would people enjoy the show and support them the same if they were attacking Norwegians? The whole thing reeks of racism if you ask me.

They would never run out of targets because they would just find some other "outrage", at least not until the entire planet was vegan.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 7:52 am

Yuzu wrote:

Hm, I had not thought of this at all. But yeah, the Norwegians, Icelanders and Faraoese also do whaling. And some native North Americans. I think the Sea Shepher people crave attention, they will find something to protest.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 8:57 am

Yuzu wrote:
Personally, I think Japan should just stop whaling all together so that those sea shepherd as*holes can take their pirate business elsewhere. Where are they gonna go if they couldn't target "the evil Japanese"? Would people enjoy the show and support them the same if they were attacking Norwegians?

Yes, they have done that and I enjoy and support it. I see nothing racist about their efforts to stop illegal poaching.

Nordkapp-class offshore patrol vessel

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 9:42 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwNvIM2W9Aw[/youtube]

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 11:40 am

Max000 wrote:
Yuzu wrote:
Personally, I think Japan should just stop whaling all together so that those sea shepherd as*holes can take their pirate business elsewhere. Where are they gonna go if they couldn't target "the evil Japanese"? Would people enjoy the show and support them the same if they were attacking Norwegians?

Yes, they have done that and I enjoy and support it. I see nothing racist about their efforts to stop illegal poaching.

Then why do they exclusively target Japan on the show? It's called "Whale Wars" for a reason.

Quote:
As Brendan O’Neill mentioned, anti-whalers have revived “World War II propaganda that tended to depict the Japanese as a uniquely wicked people.” The Sea Shepherd website is full of material that tells readers that the Japanese have a long history of brutality and dishonesty.

Below are a few quotations from Sea Shepherd founder and president Paul Watson. All are taken from official articles posted on Sea Shepherd’s homepage.

Paul Watson in November 2007:

The Japanese say that whaling is a matter of national pride. What kind of sick perverse culture can take pride in the cruel and bloody slaughter of whales and dolphins? oh yes, I almost forgot, the same culture responsible for the Rape of Nanking and the beheading of Australian, American, Canadian and Dutch soldiers and civilians.

Paul Watson in June 2006:

The brutal killing of whales has become an icon for the Japanese identity. This is not unusual. Japan has always closely identified with blood and slaughter. From the decapitations by the Samurai upon innocent peasants to the suicidal insanity of the Kamikaze, violence and self destruction have been a part of Japanese culture.

... whether intended or not, Sea Shepherd’s persistent use of World War II atrocities is extremely effective in encouraging the revival of old hatreds that existed in the 1940′s.
(Remember World War II: Sea Shepherd Depicts Japanese As Uniquely Cruel & Dishonest)

Quote:
While Japan is generally perceived as the leader in whale hunting, Norway still takes a significant number of whales. In 2010, Norway sought a higher quota than Japan from the International Whaling Commission. However, it is Japan that gets the vast majority of media attacks.
“The Cove,” a documentary about dolphin hunting in Taiji, Japan, featured a number of white activists going to Japan. They made the Japanese look like villains. It won an Academy Award in 2010. There will never be an Academy Award winning movie that bashes white Norwegians for hunting whales. Asians are a convenient scapegoat for the white American media.

(You Talkin’ To Me?: Racism sells: The anti-whaling movement and Japan)

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 1:40 pm

Yuzu wrote:
Max000 wrote:
Yuzu wrote:

Then why do they exclusively target Japan on the show? It's called "Whale Wars" for a reason.

I dono. Maybe because Japan kills more whales, then the entire rest of the world combined?

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 2:09 pm

Max000 wrote:
Yuzu wrote:
Max000 wrote:
Yuzu wrote:

I dono. Maybe because Japan kills more whales, then the entire rest of the world combined?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-08/w ... es/5361954