Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2014, 5:30 am

Found this program on Aussie TV with a fantastic format where they send a group of right wing mouth breathers in a revere journey to countries where people live whom they criticise the most by the same means they come.

I hope they do a UK edition and send Nick Griffin and Farage on a reverse journey to Iraq or Sub Saharan Africa.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muV22TvyZ0M[/youtube]

My deviant art profile

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2014, 5:07 am

They have done a couple of these. Unfortunately the message does not seem to be getting across, allowing both major political parties to call people legitimately seeking asylum "illegals" and either loading them into one use life boats and literally sending back to where they had come from IE Indonesia, or if they manage to get far enough into Australian waters that they are out of range of indonesia, they are packed of to a detention centre on Manus Island in Papua New Guinea. Here the locals with the help of PNG police recently raided the compound bashing to death one asylum seeker and injuring hundreds more.

The excuse given by both parties for this vile treatment of these people ( 90% of whom are found to be genuine refugees in need of humanitarian assistance) is that we need to stop them because they are risking their lives to get here and are fueling an illegal people smuggling trade.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2014, 5:42 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
these people ( 90% of whom are found to be genuine refugees in need of humanitarian assistance)

[citation needed]

By the way, "asylum seeker" and "illegal entrant" are not mutually exclusive, though everyone seems to use those terms as if they are. Most of those people are both: they entered illegally in order to seek asylum.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2014, 6:27 am

% of Genuine refugee status

The figures have dropped slightly, but this it can be argued is because we now see Iraq and Afghanistan as "safe" and are returning people back to these countries under the false assumption that because our role in the wars we caused are over, it must be ok to live there.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2014, 6:33 am

FMX wrote:
Most of those people are both: they entered illegally in order to seek asylum.

This is true, however the portrayal of them as "illegals" carries a definite suggestion that they have no right to come here and seek asylum.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2014, 7:36 am

immigration need only be illegal if you make it that way. By reducing the barriers to legal immigration, immigrants are more likely to declare themselves through the official channels.

Australia needs to factor in that many of these people are from countries where passports and other documents simply aren't the norm or if they are they will be stolen by nefarious figures trying to exploit their hardship. If they do this, then more people will declare themselves and it'll be easier to keep track of them. As long as the conditions in the countries of origin remain worse than the prospect of a speedy death or living off the grid then these people will continue to try and keep coming anyway, no matter how right wing the domestic policy becomes.

Anyway with a land size comparable to Europe and a population of fewer than 30 million if any developed country can afford to relax its borders it is Australia. We have similar issues in the UK with people trying to cross on lorries from France. However seeing how large Australia is I think their murmuring is even less legitimate not least considering the ancestry of those complaining.

My deviant art profile

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2014, 8:41 am

thomas81 wrote:
immigration need only be illegal if you make it that way. By reducing the barriers to legal immigration, immigrants are more likely to declare themselves through the official channels.

Australia needs to factor in that many of these people are from countries where passports and other documents simply aren't the norm or if they are they will be stolen by nefarious figures trying to exploit their hardship. If they do this, then more people will declare themselves and it'll be easier to keep track of them. As long as the conditions in the countries of origin remain worse than the prospect of a speedy death or living off the grid then these people will continue to try and keep coming anyway, no matter how right wing the domestic policy becomes.

Anyway with a land size comparable to Europe and a population of fewer than 30 million if any developed country can afford to relax its borders it is Australia. We have similar issues in the UK with people trying to cross on lorries from France. However seeing how large Australia is I think their murmuring is even less legitimate not least considering the ancestry of those complaining.

The vast majority of that land is desert. Aus couldn't sustain anywhere near the population density of europe.

The official position of the Australian government is that Australia needs to increase its population. I don't agree, but, I don't see the difference between immigration from official channels, and refugee immigration. The method of someones arrival doesn't say anything about the kind of citizen they will make. At the same time, I don't think we should ignore the fact that immigrants are often brought in to provide an exploitable labour pool with limited rights. There needs to be a more sophisticated discussion on precisely why immigration takes its current form, and to whose benefit these policies are shaped. I believe that the crypto fascist Coalition government emphasises boat people in its public statements in part to distract from the dubious nature of its other immigration policies.

Last edited by Stannis on 12 May 2014, 11:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2014, 10:31 am

DentArthurDent wrote:

That page doesn't give the overall figures, but I found them here: http://www.immi.gov.au/media/publicatio ... r-2013.pdf

"Table 21: Finally determined grant rates" shows 91.3% for 2011-12 and 88.0% for 2012-13, which is around 90% as you originally said.

That is surprisingly high. But... 90% of what? These numbers, as I understand, are successful claims for asylum as a % of all claims for asylum, but not every person who tried and failed to illegally enter would have lodged a claim. So this still doesn't give us the full picture on boat arrivals, unless I'm missing something and the number are, in fact, a % of all arrivals.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 3:41 am

thomas81 wrote:

They know this. They use scapegoating as a PR technique.