Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 6:58 pm

This article makes good points. MRA's should read this, especially those that act like 'men have it worse'.

For context, this article was written by a male ally of feminists.

http://changefromwithin.org/2014/06/26/ ... in-public/

My deviant art profile

Sherlock03
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 7:08 pm

Getting a surprise venereal disease might do the trick for making a man a misogynist.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 7:24 pm

Sherlock03 wrote:
Getting a surprise venereal disease might do the trick for making a man a misogynist.

This makes no sense. Its precisely the same as arguing that being a victim of a violent crime makes it acceptable to be racist because the perpetrator was a different race.

My deviant art profile

Sherlock03
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 8:48 pm

Ease up over there Irish, it was only a joke.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 9:15 pm

Sherlock03 wrote:
Ease up over there Irish, it was only a joke.

You'll find that progressives don't have much of a sense of humor when it comes to the things they hold near and dear.
Personally, I have a hard time understanding why any man would dote so heavily on feminism and miss-hoggy-knee or whatever it's called....

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 9:32 pm

A girl from Saline county won the Miss Hoggy-knee beauty contest last year.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 9:37 pm

Raptor wrote:
Personally, I have a hard time understanding why any man would dote so heavily on feminism and miss-hoggy-knee or whatever it's called....

It may well be because the behaviour of their fellow men makes them go against the grain of whatever the culturally accepted norms for how a man is allowed to conduct himself in public unchallenged.

As you say in America, its called not being a douchebag to your fellow humans.

My deviant art profile

Sherlock03
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 9:43 pm

My two cents: If you need to look up how to treat a lady, then you probably would't be in their company in the first place.

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 9:48 pm

Misslizard wrote:
A girl from Saline county won the Miss Hoggy-knee beauty contest last year.

This made me laugh.

Interestingly, on the odd occasion that I've checked out footage from traditional beauty contests, each time I've ended up wanting to hurl the entire human race straight into the Sun.

With a really big missile.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 9:49 pm

Sherlock03 wrote:
My two cents: If you need to look up how to treat a lady, then you probably would't be in their company in the first place.

Yes but as the article discusses that rule doesnt always apply in confined public spaces like subway trains, buses and passenger aircraft.

My deviant art profile

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 9:50 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Raptor wrote:

It may well be because the behaviour of their fellow men makes them go against the grain of whatever the culturally accepted norms for how a man is allowed to conduct himself in public unchallenged.

Good manners is in general is one thing but doting on feminism and misogyny over and over is quite another...

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 9:56 pm

Raptor wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Good manners is in general is one thing but doting on feminism and misogyny over and over is quite another...

well, thats the crux of the issue. Mainstream mens perception of what is acceptable conduct in behaviour around women is dictated by their view of women's role in society.

What is percieved as 'good manners' in this context can be subjective depending on the individuals politics and or view of the social role of women.

Hitting on, or objectifying women in public with whom you've no social invitation or prior context with is creepy. Theres no getting around that. Its also a dick move to invade a woman's space by spreading your legs beside her on a bus and train.

My deviant art profile

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 10:25 pm

Raptor wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Raptor wrote:

thomas81 wrote:
well, thats the crux of the issue. Mainstream mens perception of what is acceptable conduct in behaviour around women is dictated by their view of women's role in society.

What is percieved as 'good manners' in this context can be subjective depending on the individuals politics and or view of the social role of women.

Sorry, but general good manners is as far as I go, and believe it or not I've actually been told by a few women that I can sometimes be a little overly considerate with them. I'm not going to make a lifetime study out of ultra-sensitivity towards a gender that is supposed to be accepted as equal in western society. I honestly don't think most women do, either. It's either I treat them with the considerations of someone that is supposed to be socially equal or I revert to doing it in more of a victorian style which would be considered belittling by todays standards.

Quote:
Hitting on, or objectifying women in public with whom you've no social invitation or prior context with is creepy. Theres no getting around that.
Unless you count making friendly casual conversation as hitting on a woman, most men don't just hit on women on a way that would be considered hitting on them. Fewer still males will persist to hit them when the woman says she isn't interested and/or prefers to be left alone.

Quote:
Its also a dick move to invade a woman's space by spreading your legs beside her on a bus and train.
Space invading is bad form no matter who it is or who they're doing it to. Having said that, most space invaders arent aware they're invading someone's space and it is not automatically a prelude to other untoward acts or rape.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 10:26 pm

The original article linked to this one by the same author:

http://everydayfeminism.com/2013/05/what-men-can-do-street-harassment/

From this article:

Quote:
People are breaking out the shorts, skirts, sundresses, tank tops, sandals, and bathing suits. We?re hitting the parks, beaches, running paths, streets, back yards ? anywhere we can get a little bit of that Vitamin D.

And with this time of year comes an increase in street harassment.

It?s not as if there is not street harassment in the dead of winter. As my friend Heather recently said to me, ?I can go out in a full-length down coat, hat, gloves, and boots, and I will have some f*ck think it?s okay to yell about my ass.?

But it tends to get more pronounced when it?s a bit warmer, and there?s a bit more skin showing on your average street. Now don?t get me wrong. It?s not the fact that skin is showing that?s the problem. It?s the fact that most men can?t seem to help ourselves once the skin comes out, and we just HAVE to comment and stare.

Quote:
Though I don?t recall ever hollering to a woman on the street, there are plenty of times in my life when I have used my eyes and body language to treat a woman as little more than an object.

And in the end, how is leering any different than cat calling? Both send the message that women?s bodies are public property.

The above is mostly about how to react to revealing clothing which can be embarassing regardless of the gender of the exposer. But the second quote implies that just by looking at someone, you are invading their space. As an autistic I find this interesting. My space is always invaded when someone looks me in the eye so I was unaware of this distinction. And I'm actually a little confused. Is anyone who looks at me treating my body as public property as this quote suggests?

Sherlock03
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 10:44 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Sherlock03 wrote:

Yes but as the article discusses that rule doesnt always apply in confined public spaces like subway trains, buses and passenger aircraft.

I don't see why location should have anything to do with it. Every man in the farmlands of southern Virginia treats a lady in the same way they would in church. I was taught to forfeit my seat to a lady regardless of age, always hold the door open for a lady and the elderly, never talk poorly in front of a lady ( especially filth ), and never act brutish, never insult, and above all never strike a lady( you are liable to be turned into a piece of human jerky if anyone caught you.) What are they teaching the cultured men in the city?

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 11:28 pm

Sherlock03 wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Sherlock03 wrote:

I don't see why location should have anything to do with it. Every man in the farmlands of southern Virginia treats a lady in the same way they would in church. I was taught to forfeit my seat to a lady regardless of age, always hold the door open for a lady and the elderly, never talk poorly in front of a lady ( especially filth ), and never act brutish, never insult, and above all never strike a lady( you are liable to be turned into a piece of human jerky if anyone caught you.) What are they teaching the cultured men in the city?

So does "lady" mean women or a sub-division of women? It could be said that "I'm no lady," so just wondering.