Philosophy: Why does the universe tries to explain itself?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

MrDude
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jul 2014, 4:29 am

Hi there,
i am new here and I am not diagnosed with autism.
However, I put my questions in here because i think you have a deeper understanding and might give me some advise on how to treat the following situation:

1: I am interested in how, why nature works (not way as intrigued as a scientist (i.e. physicist) though)
2: I consider myself, my self-awareness as a part of the universe. (Which means that I think of the self-awareness as a dynamical process "governed" by laws of nature)
1+2 put together and I end up with a universe that tries to explain itself. Right?
So am "I" (my perception (senses), my thoughts (which I consider as a "meta"sense in some way)) a part of an big attempt to discover/explain the universe itself?
And if so: is there a way to tackle the question why the universe wants to know how it works and why it exists?
Or why do people want to understand nature (=themselves and their surrounding)? (Ok, people do so because they are rewarded with a good feeling (pleasure when something has been discovered,etc.) But that does not explain why they experience good feelings when doing so.
I am just a little bit confused right now :oops:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2014, 4:38 am

People have been trying to figure that out for thousands of years.

Apparently, if anyone found an answer, it had something to do with building stone megaliths across the world and matching them up to constellations in the night sky.

MrDude
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jul 2014, 4:44 am

:D

maybe it's just a question asked by humans because we usually observe this cause and effect chain.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2014, 5:13 am

MrDude wrote:
Hi there,
i am new here and I am not diagnosed with autism.
However, I put my questions in here because i think you have a deeper understanding and might give me some advise on how to treat the following situation:

1: I am interested in how, why nature works (not way as intrigued as a scientist (i.e. physicist) though)
2: I consider myself, my self-awareness as a part of the universe. (Which means that I think of the self-awareness as a dynamical process "governed" by laws of nature)
1+2 put together and I end up with a universe that tries to explain itself. Right?
So am "I" (my perception (senses), my thoughts (which I consider as a "meta"sense in some way)) a part of an big attempt to discover/explain the universe itself?
And if so: is there a way to tackle the question why the universe wants to know how it works and why it exists?
Or why do people want to understand nature (=themselves and their surrounding)? (Ok, people do so because they are rewarded with a good feeling (pleasure when something has been discovered,etc.) But that does not explain why they experience good feelings when doing so.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEKH_-Z7Yk0[/youtube]

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2014, 7:20 am

MrDude wrote:

Once there is life as we know it on Earth, the laws of nature lead to evolution by natural selection. Among our ancestors, millions of years ago, some must have had more of an innate urge to understand things than others. In the long run, and on average, the former fared better than the latter as far as reproducing and perpetuating their genes is concerned, so any genes favoring such a tendency thrived and became widespread, while others died out. This is probably because the former attitude leads to the development of technology, while the latter does not.

To me, the tricky question is what consciousness itself is and how it works.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

20 Jul 2014, 10:14 am

It is a very simple, very meaningless accident. It is cause and effect. A movement. A chain reaction. The smallest fraction of nothing, created our universe, space, and time. we are in it. It is all the same thing.

I have a better question for you. Are you, and all of your scientists sure that the universe is all there is? Are there really no boundries? Is there really nothing around, or outside of it? is the same stuff on the outside, the same stuff on the inside?

I feel like there is an unexplainable, undefineable truth within me about what is beond, or within the universe. If I try to see it in my mind, it looks brown. If I try to explain it, it looks cloudy. And it doesn't mean anything.

Don't take my words soo seriously or anything. Just more mumbo jumbo to fill up the head. :wink:

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2014, 10:14 pm

I'm not done with my philosophy of the universe yet. I already made it clear that the universe is actually smaller than microscopic, and it is essentially a brown cloud sandwich. The universe being in the middle somewhere.

But there is more. That is just solid, liquid, gassey, airy, lighty, spacey stuff that is moving around. No big deal right?

Now you have the element of awareness. Always the next and only other question. That is an entirely different thing. It is it's own entity, that moves in and out of the brown cloud sandwich.

That's my philosophy, and I'm sticking with it.

Unless of course I come up with something better. Somehow I doubt that.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2014, 4:28 am

explanations of reality are not equivalent to reality except in so far as they are merely part of reality.

the successful search for an ultimate explanation as to why everything exists will not result in an increased propensity to experience any of it.

if the universe was only composed of explanations, then it would not have any manifestation beyond those explanations, and those explanations would be rendered illusory by their reference to what hey are trying to explain.

the universe contains an infinite things. does it contain an infinite manifestations and an infinite explanations pertinent to those manifestations? how can 2 infinities fit inside one? i guess it is because infinity divided by 2 is equal to infinity.

but it is possible for "infinity" to occupy only one dimension. a "point" is a location in space that has no length or breadth or width. it certainly exists even though it has no physical dimensions. "points" (that are only interpretively existent) are none the less the pre-cursors for all reality. a line is an infinite amount of points in a single direction. but, as a point that has zero dimensions, then surely a line which is an infinite multiple of a point similarly has no dimension.

so a line can not exist because a line has no "width" (breadth).
so if LxBxH is executed with "B" equal to zero, then the whole thing resolves to zero.

but lines are an integral part of reality. lines are the building blocks from which planes are made. a plane is an infinite amount of parallel lines that have the same z value as each other. any less than an infinite amount of parallel lines in the x-direction (their heading) and the y-direction (their lateral position) will result in nothing.

so if there are an infinite amount of points that give rise to an infinite amount of lines that allow for an infinite number of planes that occupy alternative z axis positions to give rise to space, then surely that fills the universal potential for "spacially local possibility". it is not possible to be "anywhere" without "spacially local possibility > 0"

whatever. i am going back to the farm.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2014, 7:37 am

^^^ that is very intelligent, and mathimatical.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2014, 10:24 am

yournamehere wrote:
^^^ that is very intelligent, and mathimatical.

assuming that you are not being sarcastic, i will say that it is not a post that has any roots in classical mathematics.
it is simply a verbal rendition of my attempt to understand the rise from concept to reality.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2014, 10:43 am

No sarcasm. You think about it in some intelligent way that I cannot. Sounds mathematical to me. I just close my eyes, think about it, and look out the window. :D